Cheapest way to get 500 miles?

Old Jan 14, 12, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Question Cheapest way to get 500 miles?

I want to book Y and then upgrade to J between AKL and SYD to sample the A380 Biz. In a family member's account, I have 15,500 miles so I'm just 500 miles short of the upgrade. Due to the 2,000 miles minimum, transferring (50 USD) or buying miles (80 USD) would leave 1,500 miles orphaned since that account won't be used again. Just randomly staying at a Hotel to get the 500 miles will cost at least as much I suppose, plus some hotel chains require sign-ups and conversions etc. ...hassle.

Anyone got any comments what would be the cheapest and easiest way to get these 500 miles? Maybe on the Emirates High Street? Or does that not earn any miles? If relevant at all, I live in Hong Kong.

All shared opinions would be appreciated, including "for crying out loud, just pay the 50$ and give up 1,500 miles for 3hrs in A380 J", although that is not what I'm looking for. I just want to use the miles most efficiently.
Old Jan 14, 12, 1:19 am

Can't you upgrade to a flex fare? That shouldn't cost a lot, will earn you more miles, and will reduce the mileage required for an upgrade to 12,500.

Or transfer from SPG if you already have some points, would be free then I think.
Old Jan 14, 12, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Good thought, but flex is around 200 Kiwi Dollars more (i.e. more than twice the price), so it doesn't pay off.

Other than that, I unfortunately only have miles with other airlines, but no hotel chains or similar.
Old Jan 14, 12, 1:33 am

A car rental might be your cheapest option (if you want to get more than just miles out of that 80 dollars). Apart from that I don't think there's any other (cheaper) way to do it.
Old Jan 14, 12, 2:36 am
Original Poster

That's a great idea, I'll be going to Vancouver next week. May as well get a car for a day and drive into the mountains, it's not that much actually. Thanks!

Search this Thread