FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Upgrade emails offers FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1297996-upgrade-emails-offers-faq.html)

eightblack Jan 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17795370)
Is that generally the only time offers are sent or can they be / are they also sent when Y AND J is empty. I'm sure the sample size for this is even smaller since an EK flight empty in J/Y is almost unheard of!

I can only quote from my own experience, but premium loads ex MEL to SIN are rarely full. Y is or can be very high, which pushes op-ups to Golds/Silvers. My op up rates out of SIN would be 3 times that of MEL, but because of the high Aussie dollar, EK loads of late have been very very solid ex MEL.

My take on the upgrade emails is that something within the res system identifies you are a relatively new Skywards member (or Blue) and triggers it. I've not received many upgrade emails as a Gold but received 3-4 as a Blue

I also think that the system triggers the emails when Y is oversold and sends out the offers to try and recoup some revenue before the op-ups have to occur, but I think there is no real system or process. Its hit and miss. No doubt B747 will chime in shortly and wave his arms about EK's revenue management system :)

ung1 Jan 11, 2012 7:15 pm

I know someone who got the offer as Silver, having been a member for a few years. The strange part was that the seat map looked empty in Y and busy in J, made me wonder why they were sending it out.

I've never received one myself though, but I don't remember the last time I was on EK and there were unsold seats in J.

zat_dude Jan 11, 2012 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Brussels traveller (Post 17790821)
Interesting that none of the Golds seem to be getting the upgrade e-mails. Any Golds on here who have received them?

Received the first such e-mail after almost a year as gold (and an other as silver) for EK086 ZRH/DXB last weekend.

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 17795042)
I can't recall of ever receiving an offer to upgrade from J-F (and I'm pretty sure EK don't do this) but don't quote me on it. However, I have received plenty of email offers from Y-J. If the flight looks busy down the back - I refuse the email offer and each time I have done that, have been op-upped anyway.

And that's the logic that led me to a not-so-pleasant 6-hour flight in Y :D

sadiqhassan Jan 29, 2012 11:37 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 17744017)
Yes, code works whether you received the email or not. I usually try the code out for all my flights just to see if I get lucky and I'd say it works about 10-15% of the time, whether or not I have received a mail offer.

The code syntax is as follows :

YYMMDDxxxx%AAABBB

where :

YY = Year
MM = Month
DD = Day
xxxx = Flight number (with leading "0"s if needed)
% = Cabin you are booked in now (Y or C)
AAA = Origin city
BBB = Destination city

eg. EK 335 from MNL to DXB on 15th January in Y class (upgrade to C) would be :

1201150335YMNLDXB

eg. EK 004 from LHR to DXB on 10th January in C class (upgrade to F) would be :

1201100004CLHRDXB

I've been furiously entering this code for my upcoming JFK-DXB flight. Showing 7s in all classes but no luck yet!

B747-437B Jan 29, 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17909442)
I've been furiously entering this code for my upcoming JFK-DXB flight. Showing 7s in all classes but no luck yet!

7s in all classes is not a good sign. Ideally you'd need to have C7Y0 for the upgrade offer to be sent out.

gerritbouma Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17909442)

When do you need to fill in this code?

I fly in July, can I fill it in now, or need to wait?

w00t Jan 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I never ever got an upgrade offer even though I am flying a hell lot. But I do everything through my TA - might this be the issue?

CommittedLurker Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 17919247)
I never ever got an upgrade offer even though I am flying a hell lot. But I do everything through my TA - might this be the issue?

I don't think so. I have booked (previously) through my TA, and now directly.

Have never gotten an email like this.

But I am to understand that the upgrades are mostly Y>J, and not J>F ?

eightblack Jan 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker (Post 17924246)

From my own experience, I have only ever received the upgrade emails from Y-J and for those bookings they were always booked online.

CommittedLurker Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 17924549)
From my own experience, I have only ever received the upgrade emails from Y-J and for those bookings they were always booked online.

That's pretty much how the upgrade system works in any case, from what I have seen.

EK regularly upgrades Y>J (in fact, I would say it happens most of the time - at least on the route that I am on), but J>F is rare.

Thanks.

ung1 Jan 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker (Post 17924246)

The fact that you haven't received one on a TA booking doesn't mean they don't send them out. I don't know the answer but it does seem to be quite random.

ukdoctor Feb 1, 2012 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17927088)
The fact that you haven't received one on a TA booking doesn't mean they don't send them out. I don't know the answer but it does seem to be quite random.

I've never been sent an upgrade email for bookings made on emirates site.
The few times I've had upgrade offers was when I booked through expedia. (all
J or the occasional F).I've made my first Y booking on the EK website so fingers crossed.:D

DYKWIA Feb 1, 2012 12:21 am

Silly question.... Does your TA enter your email address on he booking? If not, that could be your issue :)

Zol Feb 1, 2012 12:40 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 17927338)
Silly question.... Does your TA enter your email address on he booking? If not, that could be your issue :)

Wouldn't that be on the Skywards profile anyway?

DYKWIA Feb 1, 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by khalid26 (Post 17927419)
Wouldn't that be on the Skywards profile anyway?

Slaps head... of course :)