All flights sold out - is this normal?

Old Dec 30, 11, 5:38 am
bpe
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA
All flights sold out - is this normal?

I have a reservation for BKK-DXB-JFK in Y on 1/13, and was hoping to change it to either the 10th or 11th if possible (not a huge problem if not though).

When I went to the Emirates office, the agent there said that ALL possible BKK-DXB-JFK flights from 1/7 to 1/14 were completely full (probably the DXB-JFK sector but he didn't say), and most were oversold.
Is this normal? Of course getting high load factors is good, but I haven't heard of all flights in a whole week being sold out 1-2 weeks in advance on any other airline.
Old Dec 30, 11, 6:00 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards | Lufthansa Miles&Mores | Hilton HHonors
Probably a LOT of post Christmas holiday traffic go JFK.
Old Dec 30, 11, 6:02 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Mainly the folks returning back to the US after the end of year Christmas/ New York break. Loads are heavy on DXB-JFK. I'm flying out on the 8th and wanted to pre-pone by 2 days but DXB-JFK seems sold out.
Old Dec 30, 11, 6:14 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards | Lufthansa Miles&Mores | Hilton HHonors
Couldn't EK use one their spare A380 which had been delivered for the LHR capacity increase as of 24 Jan on the JFK route, at least every 2 days?
Old Dec 31, 11, 12:37 am

JFK availability is opening up only a day or two out. Expect EK to hold back inventory for flights that are still a week or two away. They do overbook, and will probably release seats once they have a better idea of loads.
Old Dec 31, 11, 2:47 am
bpe
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by MucEKPer View Post
Probably a LOT of post Christmas holiday traffic go JFK.
Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
Mainly the folks returning back to the US after the end of year Christmas/ New York break. Loads are heavy on DXB-JFK. I'm flying out on the 8th and wanted to pre-pone by 2 days but DXB-JFK seems sold out.
I was expecting high traffic/loads, but 1+ week of flights in a row sold out seemed a bit much to me.

Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
JFK availability is opening up only a day or two out. Expect EK to hold back inventory for flights that are still a week or two away. They do overbook, and will probably release seats once they have a better idea of loads.
Ah ok. I'll try again in a week or so but still won't be holding my breath...
If they weren't holding back seats intentionally I'd suspect poor yield management, but I guess this way is working for them.
Old Dec 31, 11, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by bpe View Post
I
Ah ok. I'll try again in a week or so but still won't be holding my breath...
If they weren't holding back seats intentionally I'd suspect poor yield management, but I guess this way is working for them.
When I used to live in London, we used to have to book 6 months in advance for seats during christmas rush to/from LHR. I remember once we wanted seats but we didn't book till November and we couldn't even get seats in full Y.

Search this Thread