FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   All flights sold out - is this normal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1296573-all-flights-sold-out-normal.html)

bpe Dec 30, 2011 4:38 am

All flights sold out - is this normal?

I have a reservation for BKK-DXB-JFK in Y on 1/13, and was hoping to change it to either the 10th or 11th if possible (not a huge problem if not though).

When I went to the Emirates office, the agent there said that ALL possible BKK-DXB-JFK flights from 1/7 to 1/14 were completely full (probably the DXB-JFK sector but he didn't say), and most were oversold.
Is this normal? Of course getting high load factors is good, but I haven't heard of all flights in a whole week being sold out 1-2 weeks in advance on any other airline.

MucEKPer Dec 30, 2011 5:00 am

Probably a LOT of post Christmas holiday traffic go JFK.

jackiedada Dec 30, 2011 5:02 am

Mainly the folks returning back to the US after the end of year Christmas/ New York break. Loads are heavy on DXB-JFK. I'm flying out on the 8th and wanted to pre-pone by 2 days but DXB-JFK seems sold out.

MucEKPer Dec 30, 2011 5:14 am

Couldn't EK use one their spare A380 which had been delivered for the LHR capacity increase as of 24 Jan on the JFK route, at least every 2 days?

ung1 Dec 30, 2011 11:37 pm

JFK availability is opening up only a day or two out. Expect EK to hold back inventory for flights that are still a week or two away. They do overbook, and will probably release seats once they have a better idea of loads.

bpe Dec 31, 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by MucEKPer (Post 17714874)
Probably a LOT of post Christmas holiday traffic go JFK.

Originally Posted by jackiedada (Post 17714878)
Mainly the folks returning back to the US after the end of year Christmas/ New York break. Loads are heavy on DXB-JFK. I'm flying out on the 8th and wanted to pre-pone by 2 days but DXB-JFK seems sold out.

I was expecting high traffic/loads, but 1+ week of flights in a row sold out seemed a bit much to me.

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17719726)
JFK availability is opening up only a day or two out. Expect EK to hold back inventory for flights that are still a week or two away. They do overbook, and will probably release seats once they have a better idea of loads.

Ah ok. I'll try again in a week or so but still won't be holding my breath...
If they weren't holding back seats intentionally I'd suspect poor yield management, but I guess this way is working for them.

sadiqhassan Dec 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by bpe (Post 17719966)
I
Ah ok. I'll try again in a week or so but still won't be holding my breath...
If they weren't holding back seats intentionally I'd suspect poor yield management, but I guess this way is working for them.

When I used to live in London, we used to have to book 6 months in advance for seats during christmas rush to/from LHR. I remember once we wanted seats but we didn't book till November and we couldn't even get seats in full Y.