A couple of questions

Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: ShebaMiles
A couple of questions

Hello everyone, this is going to be my first flight with EK and I've long wanted to fly with them (them and SG), and I had a few questions for you all. Hope my jargon's correct.

I'll be from JFK to DXB to arrive at 19:45 in July. I'll leave DXB to ADD on the 13:30 the next day. On return, I'd like to fit in a stopover, maybe 1 or two nights. I've long wanted to see Dubai.

If I upgrade to J (which I can) on both ADD-DXB legs, what hotel and lounge treatment will I be entitled to? Car service? Meals? How much will they go for each stopover? What are my luggage allowances (I'll be bringing more on the return, that's for sure). Anything else I should know? I've tried to look for answers, but to no avail- so my apologies in advance.

However I did read a delightful story about a man who managed to drink eight bottles of champagne! Much respect.

Last edited by Parterre; Dec 30, 2011 at 1:09 am
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:18 am

Welcome to FT and the EK forum. Most of the information you need can be found on the EK website, but here's my thoughts anyway.

Transportation will be provided to/from your hotel for the long stopover on the way out. I'm not sure what hotel they use but I'm sure someone will be along soon who does.

There is no chauffeur service in ADD according to the list here:

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/p...available.aspx

You will be entitled to use the T3 Business Lounge while waiting to depart for ADD but unfortunately no lounge in ADD or DXB for the return:

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/f...e_lounges.aspx

There is a baggage calculator here:

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/p...alculator.aspx

Remember, you will only be entitled to the economy allowance.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I knew there was no chauffeur service in ADD, but I wasn't sure whether I was entitled-or needed- a car from the hotel in DXB to the airport on the inbound leg. I also believe they'll provide me a room for the night on the inbound; it's between 6 and 24 hours, right? But on the outbound I'll be on my own.

And thank you for pointing out that I have the economy allowance throughout, I was aware of the limits but did not know about the allowances. Thank you again!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:26 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
On the outbound you will be entitled to a room at the Meridien Airport Hotel as you will be in J to ADD for which they will arrange transport to and from.

If you are travelling in J on ADD-DXB and do a stopover then you are entitled to the chauffeur on arrival at DXB.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by khalid26
On the outbound you will be entitled to a room at the Meridien Airport Hotel as you will be in J to ADD for which they will arrange transport to and from.
No, upgraded itineraries receive only Economy class STPC allowances (viz. Millenium Hotel rather than Le Meridien).
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:31 am
Zol

Originally Posted by B747-437B
No, upgraded itineraries receive only Economy class STPC allowances (viz. Millenium Hotel rather than Le Meridien).
Is that so? From what I know you get all the perks when you upgrade. Never used the STPC allowance but why would it be different?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Yeah, that's what I wasn't so sure about.

I'm also a bit confused as to how to arrange for a long stopover.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:55 am

Is that so? From what I know you get all the perks when you upgrade. Never used the STPC allowance but why would it be different?
STPC entitlement is based upon fare basis, which does not change when you upgrade. Other perks such as chauffeur drive, etc... do not depend on fare basis but rather on class of service and those are included when you upgrade.

The key area that often leads to argument is the 6h vs 8h entitlement. If you book Y and upgrade to J, you will NOT receive an STPC voucher for a forced layover between 6-8h.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, at least I get a hotel. Any particular recommendations, esp. meal-wise?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:43 am
Zol

STPC entitlement is based upon fare basis, which does not change when you upgrade. Other perks such as chauffeur drive, etc... do not depend on fare basis but rather on class of service and those are included when you upgrade.

The key area that often leads to argument is the 6h vs 8h entitlement. If you book Y and upgrade to J, you will NOT receive an STPC voucher for a forced layover between 6-8h.
From the EK website, just not sure if the word "entire" negates the entitlement.

"First Class and Business Class passengers
If the booking class for the entire outbound or inbound leg of their journey is J, D, C, I, O, F, P, Z or A.
And if upon arrival in Dubai, the connection time until the first available flight is more than 6 hours and less than 24 hours.
Long stopover expenses may also be covered in other cases, such as Skywards redemption bookings, and other rules may apply, depending on the date that the flights were booked and the fare paid."
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:49 am

If the booking class for the entire outbound or inbound leg of their journey is J, D, C, I, O, F, P, Z or A.
Your booking class for an upgraded (Y-J) journey is never any of the above, as you will be booked into a Y-class bucket before upgrading. Your booking class does not change, only your travel class.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Your booking class for an upgraded (Y-J) journey is never any of the above, as you will be booked into a Y-class bucket before upgrading. Your booking class does not change, only your travel class.
Doesn't your booking class change to Z/D if you are upgraded?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:13 pm
Zol

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Doesn't your booking class change to Z/D if you are upgraded?
No he has a point, when you upgrade you are booked into a Z/D seat but your ticket remains in the original booking class.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:27 pm

Also, from personal experience, upgraded YYZ-DXB-ACC but received Millenium rather than Meridien for the STPC.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Is the STPC automatic, or do you need to sign up for it somewhere?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.