Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

15 hour stopover in dubai...question about visa..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 hour stopover in dubai...question about visa..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:41 pm

You do not need a visa if you are in transit. There are transfer desks airside. Your bigger problem is going to be convincing United to board you from Washington as you are not technically "in transit" at Dubai if it is the turnaround point on your ticket. That said, you should not have any issues on the Dubai end.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:56 am

UAE Visa

I am surprised to know all this.

We are travelling to India via Dubai where I have 15hrs step over. Also I have two children with me.

Emirates is asking $61 ( we are 4) for visa.

I wonder if this process will work. ya I know it worked for you guys but I am just scared as I am with family.

Originally Posted by 678flyer
Did this yesterday... followed these steps

1. Had to collect a paper STPC from my local Emirates office after confirming the booking with their customer service

2. Landed at Dubai, followed gomurad's instructions, worked perfectly

What all need to know is how incredibly slow the lines move. Once I was done with the "fee paid" sticker at the bank, I discovered that the lines for the iris scan and later immigration are very slow moving. Immigration guys were a lot busier chatting than clearing people in the line.

Anyway, once I reached the hotel and checked in, I did meet a friend outside. There was absolutely no restriction on my movement.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:00 pm

does STPC requires Emirates sponsorship? or any one travelling with Emirates can get that?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: SQ-KF, AY-Plus, KE-SkyPass, DL-SkyMiles
DXB is well-equipped and, by any standard, a first-class airport. Int'l transfers don't require "entry" into the UAE. Depending on your arrival time, however, the line up for transfers can be very long. On Dec 30, I arrived at DXB at around 11 PM ... the line was so long, I elected instead to "enter" UAE (with visa-on-arrival, free) and then re-enter DXB.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by preetigupta25
I am surprised to know all this.

We are travelling to India via Dubai where I have 15hrs step over. Also I have two children with me.

Emirates is asking $61 ( we are 4) for visa.

I wonder if this process will work. ya I know it worked for you guys but I am just scared as I am with family.
Is your connecting flight the first available flight to your destination after you land in DXB? What booking code is your ticket? Are both flights on the same ticket?

If eligible, you need to get the STPC "package" before departute - once you have it, you're fine.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by leepym3
DXB is well-equipped and, by any standard, a first-class airport. Int'l transfers don't require "entry" into the UAE. Depending on your arrival time, however, the line up for transfers can be very long. On Dec 30, I arrived at DXB at around 11 PM ... the line was so long, I elected instead to "enter" UAE (with visa-on-arrival, free) and then re-enter DXB.
Works fine and is a great airport unless you need an eye scan for your visa. A friend needed this recently and was stuck in the queue for 2 hrs!
Old May 14, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by ung1
Works fine and is a great airport unless you need an eye scan for your visa. A friend needed this recently and was stuck in the queue for 2 hrs!
I had my iris scan last year for my visa. Do I need iris scan again next month to enter Dubai ?
Old May 15, 2012, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by asiadxer
I had my iris scan last year for my visa. Do I need iris scan again next month to enter Dubai ?
Every entry on a new visa.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:08 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Every entry on a new visa.
Ok, thanks. Last year it was not too bad, about 20~25 people in line for the iris scan queue.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by asiadxer
Ok, thanks. Last year it was not too bad, about 20~25 people in line for the iris scan queue.
It moves very quickly anyway. No more than 20-30 seconds per person and at peak times as many as 8 desks open. The real bottleneck is the immigration counter.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:18 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
It moves very quickly anyway. No more than 20-30 seconds per person and at peak times as many as 8 desks open. The real bottleneck is the immigration counter.
And each time I'm waiting in line I get the feeling that there are at least ten unused immigration desks which, if opened, would make the bottleneck non-existent.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Similar question to the OP's.

A colleague is flying to DXB on a EK Biz ticket booked through a partner airline. Will they sponsor the visa?

Also does it make a difference if they fly in on EK but leave on 9W. Will they still sponsor the Visa?

If not can anyone recommend a quick way to get a Visa for a Indian national in the UK?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
A colleague is flying to DXB on a EK Biz ticket booked through a partner airline. Will they sponsor the visa? Also does it make a difference if they fly in on EK but leave on 9W. Will they still sponsor the Visa?
EK can sponsor the visa (for a fee) if arriving on Emirates.

If not can anyone recommend a quick way to get a Visa for a Indian national in the UK?
Indian citizens are no longer eligible to obtain UAE Tourist visas unless they hold university degrees.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/to...it-uae/1004415
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
EK can sponsor the visa (for a fee) if arriving on Emirates.

Indian citizens are no longer eligible to obtain UAE Tourist visas unless they hold university degrees.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/to...it-uae/1004415
I wonder if they have started to follow this for EK applications.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by lallyr
I wonder if they have started to follow this for EK applications.
This was an "ürban myth" - subsequently denied by UAE authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.