Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

15 hour stopover in dubai...question about visa..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 hour stopover in dubai...question about visa..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: Skywards-Gold, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by 678flyer
Did this yesterday... followed these steps

1. Had to collect a paper STPC from my local Emirates office after confirming the booking with their customer service

2. Landed at Dubai, followed gomurad's instructions, worked perfectly

What all need to know is how incredibly slow the lines move. Once I was done with the "fee paid" sticker at the bank, I discovered that the lines for the iris scan and later immigration are very slow moving. Immigration guys were a lot busier chatting than clearing people in the line.

Anyway, once I reached the hotel and checked in, I did meet a friend outside. There was absolutely no restriction on my movement.
Am happy it worked for you.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT

I discovered that the lines for the iris scan and later immigration are very slow moving. Immigration guys were a lot busier chatting than clearing people in the line.
The people at the immigration (inbound and outbound) and iris scan counters seem to be even more busy texting or emailing on their phones. I sometimes wonder if they even pay attention to what they are doing. This is a phenomenon I have only witnessed in Dubai.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
The people at the immigration (inbound and outbound) and iris scan counters seem to be even more busy texting or emailing on their phones. I sometimes wonder if they even pay attention to what they are doing. This is a phenomenon I have only witnessed in Dubai.
Likewise. This is pretty common in Dubai at just about every government office or related institution. I was helping my younger brother convert his Texas driving license to a UAE one, and we waited for over three hours because people manning the RTA counters just could not be arsed to stop chatting and do their jobs.

I don't miss dealing with immigration. Thank god for E-Gate cards.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:46 pm

I discovered that the lines for the iris scan and later immigration are very slow moving.
You can say that again. Took almost 60 minutes for the "eye scan" this morning and then the immigration officers manning Fast Track decided to close their counters at the same time so the Fast Track lines had to be rerouted.

Landed at 0613 and just got to my hotel at Festival City at 0845. Usually, I can be at the hotel in under an hour.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Similar Q, Canadian citizen flying KHI-DXB-XXX with a slightly greater than 8h forced stopover in DXB. I guess I will need to pick up the STPC voucher from the EK office in KHI, and the visa will be processed on arrival in DXB - i.e. no need to apply online beforehand, correct?

A week later, I will be back in DXB on a visa arranged by a local company (since I am departing from AUH on EY, could not use EK-arranged visa). I assume the local company should not arrange my visa until I have left DXB the first time?

Last edited by nabeelj; Dec 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I assume the local company should not arrange my visa until I have left DXB the first time?
Exactly. The pre-arranged visa will trump the STPC visa and you could have significant complications. I had this happen to me once when I misconnected and EK tried to sponsor me a visa, but immigration insisted on using my visa intended for the following week's business trip instead. They also wouldn't allow my sponsors to request a new visa for me for the same dates as they had already issued one. In the end though, I managed to get EK to sponsor me for a "stopover" visa on arrival on my business trip the following week.

Bottom line - don't arrange your UAE visa until you've exited the UAE successfully on any previous trips/transits.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Kuwait is worse, and not just immigration. That phenomenon is throughout the entire country.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:47 pm

GREAT thread guys, tons of great info. Am in the same situation and google led me here.

So far information provided has answered 90% of my concerns, as I have slight wrinkle in my situation.
I am flying from YYZ-DXB-CCU, round trip. My stop over in DXB for both outbound and inbound is more than 8 hours. Emirates is providing me with complimentary hotel and stop over visa.
I have been reading that immigration does not allow two visas, since I will be holding two stop over visa courtesy of Emirates will I have problems?
Or, it will not be a issue because my 2nd stop over visa (inbound) is not yet officially a visa yet as still is in the form of STPC voucher?

I am Canadian citizen if it matters.

Thank you for helping.

Last edited by diehardfan; Dec 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:09 pm

Non-issue. The STPC voucher only becomes a visa when it is stamped by immigration. A pre-arranged visa however is logged in the computers under your passport number and has to be used ahead of any other visa type.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Non-issue. The STPC voucher only becomes a visa when it is stamped by immigration. A pre-arranged visa however is logged in the computers under your passport number and has to be used ahead of any other visa type.
Thank you for the reply.
One more question, I don't need to send Emirates a scan of my photo, passport or any other documents for this visa right?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by diehardfan
Thank you for the reply.
One more question, I don't need to send Emirates a scan of my photo, passport or any other documents for this visa right?
The STPC visa requires nothing more than the Emirates sponsorship voucher, the tax paid sticker and the eye-scan stamp. All of this is done in the arrivals hall at DXB Airport.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:29 am

The STPC visa requires nothing more than the Emirates sponsorship voucher, the tax paid sticker and the eye-scan stamp. All of this is done in the arrivals hall at DXB Airport.
Thanks a TON! really clears alot.
Happy New Year!!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bottom line - don't arrange your UAE visa until you've exited the UAE successfully on any previous trips/transits.
Does the EK-sponsored transit visa (whether through STPC or paid for) preclude a local sponsor from arranging a visit visa for another stay in DXB a week later?

i.e. does the EK-sponsored transit visa invoke the "30 day ban"?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Does the EK-sponsored transit visa (whether through STPC or paid for) preclude a local sponsor from arranging a visit visa for another stay in DXB a week later? i.e. does the EK-sponsored transit visa invoke the "30 day ban"?
If your last stay in the UAE lasted more than 25 consecutive days, you cannot start a new tourist visa application within 30 days of your exit from the UAE. That is the only "30 day ban" associated with UAE visas.

This scenario is not applicable to transit visas for obvious reasons.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Do I need a visa if I do not leave the airport? I am planning a MR on United to DXB, arriving around 20:45 with the return flight departing about 4 hours later. Will I have to clear immigration or is there an international transfer desk where I just check in for my return flight. Will I need a visa? I am Canadian and we do not get visa's on arrival.

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.