Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Business Class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:14 am

j tray service

Hi,

On a recent J trip DUS to DXB and then onwards from DXB to KHI I experienced the tray(ed) service. I thought it went pretty well and was done in no time. The staff was really nice on both flights. One thing that could have been a little better was the second offering on the breads. The attendant came with the bread basket when I finished my main course on both occasions but definitely no complaints.

No flat beds on DUS to DXB did'nt know ek still had inventory without flat beds....
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by fly hi
No flat beds on DUS to DXB did'nt know ek still had inventory without flat beds....
Yes, unfortunately EK serves DUS with two flights, one being on the old A330-200 with the recliner seats, and they do this even on the night flight!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:12 pm

Experienced that last week on several flights intra ME. I thought it was neat too. Trays were cleared within an hour from take off, so had enough time on all flights to catch a snooze.

Now the bread roll was a mix of 3 different types, placed on an arabic bread roll. Not sure if someone will see as a wastage. Although I felt that the servings sizes are slightly smaller than before.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Just off from a BHX > DXB > MNL segment and obviously had the tray service. In my opinion, it is faster, but I think I preferred the old service - this is flights 5 / 6 on Emirates, 1-4 being the same trip and return two months ago.

For me the biggest downgrade is the desserts - I definitely don't think they are as nice as the choice served from the trolley - multiple helpings + some lovely fruit compotes / sauces.

The snacks are not as good either.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:52 am

All crew have today been reminded to offer cheese/fruit/dessert to all customers at least twice, as was the case with the old service - not to just assume a customer is finished and clear away after one dessert course!

Also garlic bread is being reintroduced on those routes where it was removed in favour of a 'speciality bread'.

EK do appear therefore to be listening to feedback about the new service and adapting accordingly.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:26 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by ics4ajd
All crew have today been reminded to offer cheese/fruit/dessert to all customers at least twice, as was the case with the old service - not to just assume a customer is finished and clear away after one dessert course!

Also garlic bread is being reintroduced on those routes where it was removed in favour of a 'speciality bread'.

EK do appear therefore to be listening to feedback about the new service and adapting accordingly.
I hope this is the case. I will find out on July 24th DXB-SFO. Though the food is always better DXB-SFO than SFO-DXB, anyways.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ics4ajd
Ugh. Did they also specify that if you have a DO NOT DISTURB sticker on after your first dessert course that you shouldn't be woken up to ask if you want a second round?

Please. Whoever is reading this. Just keep it simple. Serve it all on one tray and let us get to sleep/work quicker. No need for seconds.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:48 am

no need for seconds.... i want my fresh fruits first and later the dessert. you can have my "do not disturb sticker" and put two of those on your seat so that you're no disturbed

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Ugh. Did they also specify that if you have a DO NOT DISTURB sticker on after your first dessert course that you shouldn't be woken up to ask if you want a second round?

Please. Whoever is reading this. Just keep it simple. Serve it all on one tray and let us get to sleep/work quicker. No need for seconds.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Unrelated to EK:
But...CO offers the choice of the "full service" or an "executive option (all at once)" meal in its BusinessFirst markets.

I always choose to get "all at once". My main goal is to get some sleep in the nice seat. I dont want to sit around for their 2-3 hour meal service.

On CO, they dont give you dessert / cheese with this executive option. In this case, you have to wait for the dessert course to come around if you want it.

So, I will agree with the OP of this thread that the new EK style may suit someone like me.
However, I understand there are people who really want the full service experience.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snod08
I understand there are people who really want the full service experience.
They should fly FIRST. There is a reason its called BUSINESS class.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:09 pm

They should fly FIRST. There is a reason its called BUSINESS class.
Just about every airline offers a multi course meal in Business class. Do you mean to say they are all going about it wrong ?

I think many here would disagree.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Just about every airline offers a multi course meal in Business class. Do you mean to say they are all going about it wrong ?
Just about every airline has crew working in Business Class who have been at their jobs longer than 8 months and actually can deliver the product in under 3 hours. Emirates is the exception. I don't care how the service is structured. I just want it over with quickly and efficiently. The old service was patently unfit for purpose. That's why it has been changed.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:30 am

Just about every airline has crew working in Business Class who have been at their jobs longer than 8 months and actually can deliver the product in under 3 hours. Emirates is the exception. I don't care how the service is structured. I just want it over with quickly and efficiently. The old service was patently unfit for purpose. That's why it has been changed.
Hmmm...I never had a 3 hour meal service on EK in my 10+ long hauls flights with them. But I was always on a 777-300ER, never an A380.

Having said that, my main gripe with the new meal service is:

1. No more canapes.
2. No bread choice
3. Only dessert or fruit/cheese. Not both.

The above has nothing really to do with the new serving style, but rather just cutbacks in general.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:02 am

Flew EK001 on Monday.

They still had the old service from trolleys. It was a bit laboured, but the food itself was good. The veal in particular seems to respond well to the sous vide method of cooking.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Originally Posted by yanny baba
Flew EK001 on Monday.

They still had the old service from trolleys. It was a bit laboured, but the food itself was good. The veal in particular seems to respond well to the sous vide method of cooking.
EK001 is an A380 (I think) if so the new service is not being rolled out on that AC until 1st Aug according to previous posts.

I take my first A380 flight early August and my first EK flight for over 4 years later this month, will be interesting to see how things have changed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.