Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

First time on Emirates (SFO-DXB-TRV-CCU-DXB-SFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

So I've just joined the forum. I recently booked my tickets for SFO-DXB-TRV, coming back from CCU-DXB-SFO. It's my first time on this airline and my first time going through Dubai. My mom has flown this airline once by herself and told me the service is superb. This time it's me, my dad, and my mom. However its me and my dad's first time on this airline. I heard many great things about Emirates, the food is better than SQ, it's a 5 star airline you know. My mom has been on the 777-200LR when it flew to SFO, and it's my second time on a Boeing 777-300ER (first time I flew was november 2010 on Singapore Airlines). The best thing was that my mom at that time was upgraded to J (Business) from DXB-TRV, because most of the FAs wanted her to go to J. I wonder what are the chances of that?

How is the polar route like for SFO-DXB? Daylight all the way? And also DXB-SFO? Also daylight all the way? Just curious, and I will be making a TR soon. i am flying on july 14th, and coming back on july 24th.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:04 pm

Can't really help with the answers..., but for a very first timer on EK, your FT handler name "EKfanatic" should make EK proud!

Welcome!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: QR
EK is 4 star, with no miles or any status with EK there's no chance for upgrade.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/emrts.htm

Welcome to FT!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
1. EK is a 4 star airline, I agree.
2. SQ is much better than EK, but at a much higher price as well (in Business). In Economy, I think SQ and EK prices can be the same, but here SQ is still better.
3. EK 226 is night time mostly. EK 225 is daytime (all) I think.
4. I'll probably be on EK 225 on July 24th as well.

Have a nice trip.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
2. SQ is much better than EK, but at a much higher price as well (in Business). In Economy, I think SQ and EK prices can be the same, but here SQ is still better.

Have a nice trip.
Oh hell yeah. Where will you be sitting? I'm gonna be on 40A, my mom on 40B, but I may change if required.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker

Have a nice trip.
I flew 226/225 in mid-May, and both were daylight the entire way -- EK226 leaves SFO just before 5PM, and gets far enough north that it never gets dark before flipping over to the other side of the pole, where it's light already. I was intrigued by this watching the camera screens up over northern Canada and Greenland. This would be different another time of year, of course, but July should be similar to May. The service is treated like a nighttime flight though, with dinner, then breakfast much later.

EK225 is daytime/daylight the whole way (probably not during the winter when it's always dark over the pole), with breakfast service then lunch in the middle of the flight (an awkward time for those of us who like to think on destination time as soon as we take off; I prefer a longer "dark inside" time)

Service in economy was very good, with the entertainment system the best I've ever seen. Narrow 3-4-3 seating was noticeably cramped with unusably weird underseat spaces for most of the center section, maybe not as big of a deal traveling with family. I'd seek out a 3-3-3 777 or 3-4-3 747 next time for that reason, even giving up some of the service/entertainment.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmastron
I flew 226/225 in mid-May, and both were daylight the entire way -- EK226 leaves SFO just before 5PM, and gets far enough north that it never gets dark before flipping over to the other side of the pole, where it's light already. I was intrigued by this watching the camera screens up over northern Canada and Greenland. This would be different another time of year, of course, but July should be similar to May. The service is treated like a nighttime flight though, with dinner, then breakfast much later.

EK225 is daytime/daylight the whole way (probably not during the winter when it's always dark over the pole), with breakfast service then lunch in the middle of the flight (an awkward time for those of us who like to think on destination time as soon as we take off; I prefer a longer "dark inside" time)

Service in economy was very good, with the entertainment system the best I've ever seen. Narrow 3-4-3 seating was noticeably cramped with unusably weird underseat spaces for most of the center section, maybe not as big of a deal traveling with family. I'd seek out a 3-3-3 777 or 3-4-3 747 next time for that reason, even giving up some of the service/entertainment.
I'm gonna think of it this way. I did some thinking of EK226's sun path....I think it's gonna pass through Europe, so that means there's a sunset factor involved as well as some darkness, then you have it get light again, then dark again. It is kind of this way. EK225, nearly the same, probably only 1 sunset at the most. But I'm 6 days away from my trip, I will post a trip report, promise!!!!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmastron

So I am back. Emirates service is one of the best. It's unbelievable that at some point on EK226/225 they give you cheese pizza. But also both these flights were daylight all the way, EK226 was daylight, part was sunset, but got up north, sunrise too but also daylight. It's very good though. The other thing is that the seats were pretty good and comfy, but the thing sort of bothered me but not much was the 3-4-3 config, it was slightly cramped. The A332, though it was much much quieter, is very cramped wherever you sit in Y. It was a bit tough to sleep in 2 seats from CCU-DXB since i had that all to myself as well as my mom in the row behind me. Later, found a four seat in the aisle empty to me, but liked it though. I have a trip report I will post whenever my jet lag is improving. I have some airshow videos I will upload on YouTube whenever I get time. Besides that, the trip was pretty good.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
I was on the same flight as well on 7/24. Sorry I forgot to email you earlier. The crew was pretty nice.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Actually it was a typo. I was on EK225 yesterday the 25th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.