Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

No boarding tunnel at Dubai airport but stairs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Recently I flew Emirates from Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) to Dubai and back. Both landing and take off from Dubai was on the tarmac. After a fourteen and a half hour non stop flight passengers had to hup their cabin luggage down the stairs and be bussed to the terminal when we landed in Dubai. On the way back also we were bussed to the aircraft and I saw many a passenger struggle to climb the stairs with their cabin luggage in tow.

Does this happen to Emirates flights to and from South America? What have other passengers experienced? I dont mind it, but I was going to book my mom on this flight and now have second thoughts. She is physically able but doesnt see too well and would have a problem tackling the stairs even with very light hand luggage, especially on the GRU DXB flight which lands at night in Dubai.
Old May 9, 2011, 7:23 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This happens on many flights. There are more flights than there are jet bridges.

The moral of the story... Don't take more hand luggage than you safely manage.

Cheers,
Rick
Old May 9, 2011, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi Rick!

"The moral of the story... Don't take more hand luggage than you safely manage". Quite agree, and am grinning too when I think of some of the "stagger and curse with hand luggage group" who had a hard time up and down those stairs!!!
Old May 10, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This happens on many flights. There are more flights than there are jet bridges.The moral of the story... Don't take more hand luggage than you safely manage.

Cheers,
Rick
While I am sure this is the case, in my last few flights ( from VIE and DME) both were put on remote stands on arrival.. While on the bus ride to the terminal, I noticed many many ( not a few) gates which were empty ..

I guess probability of a flight being put on remote stand is more if its not being utilised for the next 6-10 hrs or am I mistaken ?
Old May 10, 2011, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lovetotravel123
Hi Rick!

"The moral of the story... Don't take more hand luggage than you safely manage". Quite agree, and am grinning too when I think of some of the "stagger and curse with hand luggage group" who had a hard time up and down those stairs!!!
Absolutely
If people are struggling with their CARRY-ON luggage , then would seem likely that their carry-on luggage is inappropriate given that 7Kg is the max for economy and 2 pieces not exceeding 12Kg total for busines/1st
Old May 11, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
SHJ Boarding & Deplaning

Hi All,

Be assured 99.999% of all VIE, DUS, DME, GRU flights planning & deplaning will hapen in SHJ so u have to have an sense of it.

Reason: CARGO

If you did not know then FYI EK revenue is very highly balanced between cargo & pax's load.

So you will be bussed around on these flights plus a lot of CAN, PEK, DEL, BOM & CAI & IST flights.

Safe Flying

EGT

Last edited by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER; May 11, 2011 at 8:04 pm Reason: Spell Chk Sorry in Brasil
Old May 12, 2011, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much Elitegoldtraveller for the information. I can now assume that disembark and embark at DXB will be usually via stairs for GRU flights and accordingly route my elderly mother thru some other airline and airport. I needed this information to plan her trip to asia and back and thank you for taking the trouble to clarify this matter. It has been most helpful.
Old May 13, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by lovetotravel123
Thanks so much Elitegoldtraveller for the information. I can now assume that disembark and embark at DXB will be usually via stairs for GRU flights and accordingly route my elderly mother thru some other airline and airport. I needed this information to plan her trip to asia and back and thank you for taking the trouble to clarify this matter. It has been most helpful.
With all respect for your mother, if EK was the first choice based on priced and convenience, is it really worth the circumstance to go for another airline that is (based on first assumption) pricier, has longer flight or transit time etc?

If your mum is seriously physically limited, could you maybe ask EK to give her assistance with wheelchair or lift when parking remotely? Maybe they could help? Hope all goes well...
Old May 14, 2011, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Hi GigoloArt! You have indeed raised a valid point. Its well worth weighing the pros and cons before jumping to another airline. Thanks for writing in. Cheers!
Old May 17, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER
Hi All,

Be assured 99.999% of all VIE, DUS, DME, GRU flights planning & deplaning will hapen in SHJ so u have to have an sense of it.

Reason: CARGO

If you did not know then FYI EK revenue is very highly balanced between cargo & pax's load.

So you will be bussed around on these flights plus a lot of CAN, PEK, DEL, BOM & CAI & IST flights.

Safe Flying

EGT
hmmm..
From my experience, all my departures from dxb ( to VIE , DME) have been thru the gates and only the arrivals have been in remote locations.. but I get your point..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.