Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bargains on CMB-MLE sector (?)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Cool Bargains on CMB-MLE sector (?)

May be this is worth posting in Mileage run forum.

Checked few sectors out of CMB, and it seems there are some bargains to be had.

CMB-MLE return on EK (Yes, to Male, Maldives) on random dates of May (20-27) and June.

EK site prices CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB on a FLEX fare for USD 282 which earns 13000 Skywards miles with miles accl. included. Silver and Golds can push it to 15K.

There is a direct EK flight to MLE from CMB for the same price, however it earns lousy miles.

This works out to be 2.1 cpm (even less for Golds). Good bargain for CMB residents with time/money to spare.

May be this sector is under-performing Or is it a system glitch?
Old May 9, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Great find. It could be a glitch -- perhaps a CMB-MLE where they forgot to add the routing rules (i.e., non-stop only)? You can use all the money that you save on the flight for accommodation in the Maldives.

P.S. Also the one op-up that I have gotten on EK from Y to C was on MLE-DXB; maybe not a lot of premium traffic on the route?
Old May 9, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I have seen a glitch like that on same routes-- but I beleive it will say No Stopover in DXB. Otherwise I would of been buying these ones when I did DXB-MLE every other month for three years-- albeit it was J fares.

Maybe the CMB-MLE route is gone and they only have a MLE-CMB in this circle routing.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
And it is USD 384 in F. 17000 tier miles and 37000 Skywards miles. Where's the credit card?!
Old May 9, 2011, 10:50 am

I have a curious question about this, and wonder if anyone knows the answer. If one books something like this on which no stopover is allowed, and doesn't show up for one's flight, what happens?

There's no no-show fee or date change fee, so no penalties are applicable. Would they just cancel the remaining segments and say you can't use them any more, or is it possible to get away with a stopover?
Old May 10, 2011, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by ung1
I have a curious question about this, and wonder if anyone knows the answer. If one books something like this on which no stopover is allowed, and doesn't show up for one's flight, what happens?

There's no no-show fee or date change fee, so no penalties are applicable. Would they just cancel the remaining segments and say you can't use them any more, or is it possible to get away with a stopover?
I have had this on a few ocaisons and I usually always make sure I am not checked in on the last segments which I will miss. From what I understand is that the remaining segments would be cancelled.

However now that Skwyard miles are awarded at end of journey, by not cancelling the last segments you wont get the miles,- unless you cancel last segments and contact skywards-- from what I understand in the new rules of skywards--- and I am still not convinced that all points will be awarded-- and just the usual CMB-MLE which is F is 2500 tier miles.

MLE-DXB-SIN-DXB-MLE in J for USD$1K is the one I have used that does not allow the Dubai stopover, but you can manage 20 hour or so layover, and you could then cancel the last segment and get tier miles for all segments except the last one.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by yyzlhr
I have had this on a few ocaisons and I usually always make sure I am not checked in on the last segments which I will miss. From what I understand is that the remaining segments would be cancelled.

However now that Skwyard miles are awarded at end of journey, by not cancelling the last segments you wont get the miles,- unless you cancel last segments and contact skywards-- from what I understand in the new rules of skywards--- and I am still not convinced that all points will be awarded-- and just the usual CMB-MLE which is F is 2500 tier miles.

MLE-DXB-SIN-DXB-MLE in J for USD$1K is the one I have used that does not allow the Dubai stopover, but you can manage 20 hour or so layover, and you could then cancel the last segment and get tier miles for all segments except the last one.
Looking at it again, there is in fact a small no show fee. As I understand it, one could not be checked in for the last leg and no show for it, and then call to have it rebooked. It wouldn't make sense that the segment is completely lost on a fully flexible ticket.

It shows full miles through the entire process, so even if they try giving one less miles, the screenshot trick should work!
Old May 10, 2011, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by ung1
Looking at it again, there is in fact a small no show fee. As I understand it, one could not be checked in for the last leg and no show for it, and then call to have it rebooked. It wouldn't make sense that the segment is completely lost on a fully flexible ticket.

It shows full miles through the entire process, so even if they try giving one less miles, the screenshot trick should work!
Fare rules say No Stopover so missing last segment and trying to rebook it later would get nowhere-- although I do agree the screen shot of the miles may work. I woul ddo thi run if it was avail in July on a Friday-Saturday-- but I couldnt get it to work.
Old May 10, 2011, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by yyzlhr
Fare rules say No Stopover so missing last segment and trying to rebook it later would get nowhere-- although I do agree the screen shot of the miles may work. I woul ddo thi run if it was avail in July on a Friday-Saturday-- but I couldnt get it to work.
You're right - I called EK about this and they said that if you no show on the last segment you lose the last coupon and would have to purchase a new ticket.
Old May 11, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
What happens if you get an error that says "Sorry, seat availability has changed. Please restart the booking process using the Search by Schedule option." It was working fine 10 minutes ago, but after I tried searching again, it showed that error.

Really enticing deal tbh.
Old May 11, 2011, 7:32 am

Still bookable.. (at least does show up.. haven't really tried booking farther than checking some dates which it showed possible)

Awwww.. I wished I had time.. nesting ZRH-DXB-CMB in el-cheapo whY, then CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB (twice ) for less than 2000 CHF...

Anyone booked this?
Old May 11, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
Just did, BHX-DXB-CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB-DXB-BHX over period of 5 days for a total of around 44k miles at 750GBP all in. The international flights are in Y and the MLE/CMB legs in F. Will need to find a place to crash in dubai for the night, but it's gonna be fun doing all this flying
Old May 11, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Lufthansa Senator
Originally Posted by coffeeblack
Just did, BHX-DXB-CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB-DXB-BHX over period of 5 days for a total of around 44k miles at 750GBP all in. The international flights are in Y and the MLE/CMB legs in F. Will need to find a place to crash in dubai for the night, but it's gonna be fun doing all this flying
Nice!
44k tier miles or skywards miles?

Dumb question probably, but with Emirates, everything is possible....
Old May 11, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Lufthansa Senator
Originally Posted by coffeeblack
I got the following, but no real need for a bed in dxb, it's just about 4 hours, but first class lounge should be fine.

EK319 arrives DXB 06:00
EK652 departs DXB 09:45
--
EK653 arrives DXB 03:00
EK348 departs DXB 07:45

just a long layover in MLE.....
Old May 11, 2011, 7:02 pm

I think I beat you all..

Well, it does actually have some bad background, but I've been informed that I'll have lots of free time in the next couple months.. (I guess everyone knows now what actually happened)

ZRH-DXB-CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB-DXB-ZRH

All in all under 2000 CHF, and besides the first CMB-DXB-MLE leg which is only in C, all the other parts but the ZRH-DXB-CMB at the start and the CMB-DXB-ZRH at the end in F.

Will be travelling from 20th to 29th May. Booked and confirmed.

I think I could have gone on with that, but 10 days of travelling, even though most in F/F lounges should be enough. I'm still having a LH MR upcomping in another month

btw, miles:

14750 (Y)
38700*2 (F*2)
29150 (C/F)

121300 Miles for less than 2000 CHF, I think not too shabby

status miles:

14450 (C/F)
4500 (Y)
17000*2 (F)

52950 Status Miles, I only needed 40000 to qualify for Gold, but more won't hurt

I think it's time to change my program status soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.