Emirates v qatar

Old Mar 28, 11, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Emirates v qatar

Hi Guys,

I've been traveling EK for several years now and maintain my Gold status but have recently not been very impressed with their service, planes and fares.

I am just curious if any other members have experienced flying Qatar as well as Emirates and which one is better.

One thing is for sure the way the EK fares are going Qr is definitely better value for money however i know connections are not as often but when the fare is literally 50% higher to fly Emirates you really begin to wonder if it is worth it.

I recently had some bad experiences of which I am listing some below :

1.Having Flown Lagos - Beijing in J once we had boarded the plane from Lagos we found a very old plane with very uncomfortable seats. This is not a good sign as i have traveled that route before and they had the newer flat seats on the 777 so i figured this must be a one off.

2. Having boarded the A380 from Dubai there was no meal served, just some small Canapes, ok fine it was 3am Dubai time but still there must have been several pax like me who were on different time zones and could have been hungry!

3. When i was woken up for Breakfast i ordered my meal and was then told that they had ran out of meals and was offered extra croissants instead! i was not impressed and told the stewardess that she should try and find a meal for me and somehow she managed to do so.

4. Having landed in Beijing my colleague and me both realised once we got out of the airport that the locks on our suitcase has been broken and our Bags had been opened and gone through.

5. For departure i had wanted to re route my flight to leave out of Shanghai although it was possible being in C class already i was told there were no seats in my class and so i would have to pay something between $500-$1000 extra to upgrade my class and be able to fly out of Shanghai, It was either that wait a few days until my fare class was available! It turned out a better option for me to fly out of Beijing so i flew back to Beijing and took the A380 back.

6. Having boarded the flight for Lagos again found the old uncomfortable Business class seats and couldn't help but once again feel robbed!

7. Having got out of the Airport realised that once again my lock had not only been removed and stolen but also my suitcase latch was broken! These were TSA combo locks which are something like $20 each! Although it was not about the locks but more about the damage to the suitcase and the idea that our luggage had been gone through. Both in Beijing and Lagos there were no ground staff to complain to and as in both times i was in a hurry to catch a domestic connection i decided to just leave.

8.Some time earlier on a newer 777 flight in J class my entertainment system was not working and there were no other seats in Business and although there were seats in F the purser refused to move and then later claimed that that system was also faulty. I have no idea if it was true but i had asked someone for help on the issue several times before they gave any attention to the issue.

I feel the Emirates hype could be getting over and although a few years ago they were one of the best Airlines but perhaps now other Airlines have caught up with them and they are still offering the same services as they have been.

I have even found on service between Dubai and LHR they have significantly reduced meal portions from what they used to be!

I am at this point seriously considering switching over however i am curious as to if anyone here can give me some insight as to if it really worth paying the extra 50% fares for Emirates business class or should i just switch to Qr.
Old Mar 29, 11, 1:06 am

Programs: Star GOLD, EK SIlver
It is a published, well know information that morning flight DXB-LOS is on new 777 and the afternoon flight is old 340-300.
Having just broken locks on a Lagos flight you have to concider yourself lucky and there is nothing to do with EK. There are famous stories from the past of a BA aircraft being stoped on the taxiway and baggage compartments emptied by robbers. The pax just watched thru their windows how the bags disappear.
If you are not happy with your broken locks, complain at baggage service. I did it once and straight away been given brand new Delsey suitcase, matching my "brandless" suitcase with a broken lock
Old Mar 29, 11, 1:16 am

Programs: QR Gold
I used to fly with work on EK but I hated the flight to Durban as the plane was old... EK seems to keep it's aircraft for far too long.

I find if its a popular route then its good but if it's not then I would look for another airline.

I am personally Gold on QR and I gained this just through my personal flights (fly again on the 6th of April) and I have no wish to change. Personally cost is a big thing for me and EK never seem to have great fares anymore and as such I don't fly with them apart from the BKK > HKG leg which they have put up the price due to the A380

EK are simply just too expensive and on some routes their aircraft are not very good
Old Mar 29, 11, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Hi EKFB,

Unfortunately i was on the morning flight because i preferred to be on a newer plane but it always seems to be an old air craft recently. It is a very old 777 with seats that do not recline very much!

As for the afternoon flight strangely those seats actually seem better then this. This BA incident must be quite some time ago as that kind of thing does not happen these days. On the old 777 i would be happy to fly Economy then pay such ridiculous fares for a seat that does not recline much.

I have had the same problem from Dubai to HK recently on their Morning flight out of Dubai and the same thing on the return sector. These kind of things really do take the Joy out of flying in Business class!

Having flown EK and other Airlines out of Lagos several times i have never encountered this kind of problem, I suspect this has happened at Dubai or Beijing and not Lagos because the time gap between the flight landing and my bags coming out was short on my return flight so not likely they had time to go through luggage.

I would love to complain to baggage services however none were in sight in either Lagos or Beijing.

Unfortunately there is no consistency with the planes they use on certain sectors despite pricing them self much higher then others, perhaps they have become a little arrogant and feel they do not need to serve the customers the same way as they already have enough passengers already.

If anyone is aware of their email address i would be very happy to send them my complaints regarding my luggage and also the planes.

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 11, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by cundall View Post
EK seems to keep it's aircraft for far too long.

EK has one of the youngest fleets around. The majority of aircraft are less that 10 years old. I doubt there are many more than 15 years old.

Compare that with the likes of BA/AA... lots of aircraft 20+ years old.

It's true that the hard product is inconsistent on EK, but you can normally choose an up to date plane if you are careful (maybe struggle at DUR though).

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 29, 11, 3:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jagsm View Post
I have had the same problem from Dubai to HK recently on their Morning flight out of Dubai and the same thing on the return sector. These kind of things really do take the Joy out of flying in Business class!
Somebody else will be able to confirm, but I *think* that EK are converting all their 777's to the newer version of business class. This obviously takes time due to the number of 777's in the fleet.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 29, 11, 3:39 am

Well Qatar were very good a few weeks ago, J class was nice in a 2-2-2 with comfortable seats and fantastic service. The premium terminal was good as well.
I am looking forward to my first emirates J flight today in fact so will be able to compare.

Cheers
Old Mar 29, 11, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Let us hope they complete their updates soon before they lose more frequent travelling passengers!
Old Apr 17, 11, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by cundall View Post
I used to fly with work on EK but I hated the flight to Durban as the plane was old... EK seems to keep it's aircraft for far too long.

I find if its a popular route then its good but if it's not then I would look for another airline.

I am personally Gold on QR and I gained this just through my personal flights (fly again on the 6th of April) and I have no wish to change. Personally cost is a big thing for me and EK never seem to have great fares anymore and as such I don't fly with them apart from the BKK > HKG leg which they have put up the price due to the A380

EK are simply just too expensive and on some routes their aircraft are not very good
Things are a-changing in Durban. Yes the current plane is a shocker and hardly pleasant to fly. BUT there are two good snippets. Firstly EK will be offering a second daily on the DXB-Durban route with a morning flight on 777-300 from October.

Also, to stir things up a bit more, Qatar will be starting to Durban before the introduction of the secodn Emirates flight...so finally some competition and options.
Old Apr 17, 11, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
EY should be brought in the discussion as well

Very impressed on recent trip (but was in Y)
Old Apr 17, 11, 5:08 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
QR on balance with some buts

Glad to see Im not the only one departing EK -- my reason being I get nothing as a Gold flying J all the time

Let me give you feedback on QR Business Class as Ive done them once GRU-PEK mid March switching out of EK and once in 2009 winter DEL-IAD return

(1) Seats: MUch much much better...FLATbed 2 x 2
(2) Cabin: NOt always full beacuse of lots of upgrades unlike EK J cabin
(3) Check in and Ground handling generally: Sloppy compared to EK at GRU as well as PEK IMPORTANT: No chauffeur drive
(4) IFE: roughly comparable to ICE on EK. EK ICE better if like me you like offbeat global movies
(5) food : much better, classier, fresher but they run out of stuff fast and thats not happened to me on EK (EK give Golds priority on food Im not sure QR does the same for their onyx or goatweed or whatever they call their top tier)
(6) Booze: Just the same

Hub: If flying J QR Premium terminal is MUCH better hard product wise No question Quieter cleaner and classier than the J lounge Less people because Golds flying Y cannot use it. Nicer showers. Same quality of food

But getting to the lounge is a pain You go on a bus driven by a neoliterate (all four transits) who does not indicate to you where you need to get off Id been forewarned Departure is lackadaisically managed as well

Finally EK is a more ""Intelligent"" airline:

I suspect QR management is not recruited as professionally as EK. As a result staff dont have the same ""intelligence"" (term used in a management sense) as EK -- this applies to sales and res, ground handling and inflight crew. This is an important downside when it comes to IRROPS etc.

On balance I would do QR unless I had any kind of complex itinerary or was worried about changing flights mid-travel etc. The hard product is way ahead and the lounge is way ahead. The FFps are just the same. Thats enough for me from now until further notice

Last edited by rathin100; Apr 18, 11 at 9:59 am
Old Feb 7, 12, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Execclub G, Flying Blue S, One Pass E, Skywards G, Voyager B. AVIS PC and counting
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
Things are a-changing in Durban. Yes the current plane is a shocker and hardly pleasant to fly. BUT there are two good snippets. Firstly EK will be offering a second daily on the DXB-Durban route with a morning flight on 777-300 from October.

Also, to stir things up a bit more, Qatar will be starting to Durban before the introduction of the secodn Emirates flight...so finally some competition and options.
Anybody know what happened to this? Extra flight to DUR and QR flying into DUR as well? That old EK metal has to GO....
Old Feb 8, 12, 6:39 pm

Programs: SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Thanks for such a balanced comparison, rathin100.

I am waiting to try QR as well, as soon as they start flights to the US West Coast. I think it is a matter of time only before they do this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: