FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates v qatar
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:08 pm
rathin100

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
QR on balance with some buts

Glad to see Im not the only one departing EK -- my reason being I get nothing as a Gold flying J all the time

Let me give you feedback on QR Business Class as Ive done them once GRU-PEK mid March switching out of EK and once in 2009 winter DEL-IAD return

(1) Seats: MUch much much better...FLATbed 2 x 2
(2) Cabin: NOt always full beacuse of lots of upgrades unlike EK J cabin
(3) Check in and Ground handling generally: Sloppy compared to EK at GRU as well as PEK IMPORTANT: No chauffeur drive
(4) IFE: roughly comparable to ICE on EK. EK ICE better if like me you like offbeat global movies
(5) food : much better, classier, fresher but they run out of stuff fast and thats not happened to me on EK (EK give Golds priority on food Im not sure QR does the same for their onyx or goatweed or whatever they call their top tier)
(6) Booze: Just the same

Hub: If flying J QR Premium terminal is MUCH better hard product wise No question Quieter cleaner and classier than the J lounge Less people because Golds flying Y cannot use it. Nicer showers. Same quality of food

But getting to the lounge is a pain You go on a bus driven by a neoliterate (all four transits) who does not indicate to you where you need to get off Id been forewarned Departure is lackadaisically managed as well

Finally EK is a more ""Intelligent"" airline:

I suspect QR management is not recruited as professionally as EK. As a result staff dont have the same ""intelligence"" (term used in a management sense) as EK -- this applies to sales and res, ground handling and inflight crew. This is an important downside when it comes to IRROPS etc.

On balance I would do QR unless I had any kind of complex itinerary or was worried about changing flights mid-travel etc. The hard product is way ahead and the lounge is way ahead. The FFps are just the same. Thats enough for me from now until further notice

Last edited by rathin100; Apr 18, 2011 at 8:59 am