Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How does Boarding Sequence No. work for Emirates?

How does Boarding Sequence No. work for Emirates?

Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lsed
Also inquired about upgrades in DXB, seems to be that after status they choose by looking at the number of tier miles earned within your earning window. Or something along those lines.

Was also told that it was the flight controller who decides who gets the op up for DXB
That's quite interesting to know. Did you ever ask them if other stations were also supposed to use this policy ?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:35 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Just got off 3 back-to-back sectors, 2 in revenue F and 1 in revenue Y with an op-up and got sequence numbers 004,005 and 006
m3red likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Really weird how it works... Just did the OLCI for my flight from BKK to HKG on Sunday... And got sequence number 893
I travel in J in a 2-cabin A380 and I am a Gold member
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by olivedel
Really weird how it works... Just did the OLCI for my flight from BKK to HKG on Sunday... And got sequence number 893
I travel in J in a 2-cabin A380 and I am a Gold member
That's a continuation of EK384 from DXB to BKK and on to HKG so over 600 pople could have checked in more than a day ago for the first leg only or for an indirect flight to HKG. Given the time of your post you were well after the 48 hour opening time for OLCI so nothing too weird in this I can see.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
That's a continuation of EK384 from DXB to BKK and on to HKG so over 600 pople could have checked in more than a day ago for the first leg only or for an indirect flight to HKG. Given the time of your post you were well after the 48 hour opening time for OLCI so nothing too weird in this I can see.
Irrelevant as EK sequence is based on last name alphabetically. My sequence number is always around the same, and a good indicator for me how full the flight is
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Irrelevant as EK sequence is based on last name alphabetically. My sequence number is always around the same, and a good indicator for me how full the flight is
I've always understood it to be the order in which passengers checked in? Just had a look at a few and I've got from single digits to over 600 and plenty in between so it wouldn't appear to be alphabetical based on that.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:14 am

I've always understood it to be the order in which passengers checked in? Just had a look at a few and I've got from single digits to over 600 and plenty in between so it wouldn't appear to be alphabetical based on that.
Not with EK. Whether I check in at t-48 for a flight with no connecting pax or T-3 it's always in the same range for me.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:37 am

Not with EK. Whether I check in at t-48 for a flight with no connecting pax or T-3 it's always in the same range for me.
They must do the first flight ones in one group (alphabetically by what you say) then the one it connects to. In this case DXB-BKK (or HKG) passengers all get their sequence numbers before the BKK-HKG ones. All my high ones seem to be on connecting flights when I've been on the second or higher leg. Other ones are arguably alphabetic (surname beginning with "A").
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:56 am

They must do the first flight ones in one group (alphabetically by what you say) then the one it connects to. In this case DXB-BKK (or HKG) passengers all get their sequence numbers before the BKK-HKG ones. All my high ones seem to be on connecting flights when I've been on the second or higher leg. Other ones are arguably alphabetic (surname beginning with "A").
I actually have long suspected that EK do some type of "shadow check-in" somewhere between 1-100 minutes before OLCI opens (or more likely when OLCI for the first connecting flight opens) where suddenly all pax are given seat assignments. For those who haven't paid and can't select for free they don't get to just choose any seat at T-48, everyone is auto-assigned a seat just before OLCI. I've seen this many times from monitoring seat maps right before and after OLCI opens.

I suspect this shadow check-in is done alphabetically and generates the sequence
thijsseh and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:13 am

I actually have long suspected that EK do some type of "shadow check-in" somewhere between 1-100 minutes before OLCI opens (or more likely when OLCI for the first connecting flight opens) where suddenly all pax are given seat assignments. For those who haven't paid and can't select for free they don't get to just choose any seat at T-48, everyone is auto-assigned a seat just before OLCI. I've seen this many times from monitoring seat maps right before and after OLCI opens.

I suspect this shadow check-in is done alphabetically and generates the sequence
Just been keeping an eye on this for a flight tomorrow. Some time in the 24 hours before check in opened, all the regular seats seemed to get allocated, with all the premium seats still available to buy. This was on two legs, both showing no availability to buy in Economy. In the hour or two before check in opened, all the premium seats except the extra legroom ones also disappeared.

I've just checked in now at T-29 hours and got sequence numbers 64 and 66 which leaves me no wiser, as it seems too high for alphabetical, but too low for sequential (if numbers were allocated at the same time as seats).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:09 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Last night: mrs t and i: different PNR’s, different cabines even. Same surname. Seq 664 and 665 (on a 2 class A380).
So that suggests that surname is important in this ‘game’.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Last night: mrs t and i: different PNR’s, different cabines even. Same surname. Seq 664 and 665 (on a 2 class A380).
So that suggests that surname is important in this ‘game’.
and was it in the first name order ?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:28 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ioto1902
and was it in the first name order ?
It was indeed!
And the same on the connecting flight (DXB-CPT). (288 and 289)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.