Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Oh dear.

I have just been told by EK customer services that I WILL NOT get Skywards tier miles if flying on EK metal with a ticket with a QF code share flight number.

Skywards miles..YES...Tier miles..NO.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dogsrock
Oh dear.

I have just been told by EK customer services that I WILL NOT get Skywards tier miles if flying on EK metal with a ticket with a QF code share flight number.

Skywards miles..YES...Tier miles..NO.
Yes, that is correct, if you TICKET via QF, and you fly on EK metal, you will only earn EK Skywards miles. (QF members will earn Qantas points and status credits)

Works in reverse as well. If you ticket via EK and you fly on QF metal, you will earn both. QF members will only earn points and not status credits.

Its confusing but the argument both airlines will be using is they want to incent their own members to book on their own website. Thats logical if pricing is aligned, but when it isnt, it is as far as I am concerned, discriminatory pricing
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:23 am

EB,

I am probably being thick but can you explain how your last answer reconciles with this previous one?

Originally Posted by eightblack
If you are on EK metal, it will have an EK flight number. The fact that you purchased the ticket from QF doesnt matter nor does it matter that it has a QF flight number. When you check in, you present your Skywards card and you will be credited the appropriate tier and Skywards miles based on the fare.
It seems the only way to get Skywards tier points is to book via EK..once I have bought a EK flight marketed by QF from QF I have had it. Never mind the code share numbers.

Now I have to work out how much a tier point is worth as QF are quite a bit cheaper than EK at the moment!!

Gawd!!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Yes, that is correct, if you TICKET via QF, and you fly on EK metal, you will only earn EK Skywards miles. (QF members will earn Qantas points and status credits)

Works in reverse as well. If you ticket via EK and you fly on QF metal, you will earn both. QF members will only earn points and not status credits.

Its confusing but the argument both airlines will be using is they want to incent their own members to book on their own website. Thats logical if pricing is aligned, but when it isnt, it is as far as I am concerned, discriminatory pricing
EB,

I am probably being thick but can you explain how your last answer reconciles with this previous one?

It seems the only way to get Skywards tier points is to book via EK..once I have bought a EK flight marketed by QF from QF I have had it. Never mind the code share numbers.

Now I have to work out how much a tier point is worth as QF are quite a bit cheaper than EK at the moment!!

Gawd!!
No, you're not being thick, I just didnt do a very good job explaining it and I think it is confusing for the general member.

If you book MEL-SIN for example on EK.com, you will be on EK405. You check in and present your Skywards card, and you will be credited full tier and skywards miles. Same as ususal.

If you wanted to credit this flight to your QF account, you would earn points but no status credits.

If you booked MEL-SIN, but ticketed on EK5035 (which is operated by Qantas), you will earn Tier and Skywards miles, because it has an EK flight number.

Jump to Qantas.com, and that same MEL-SIN flight (operated as 405) will now be presented as 8405 and as a QFF, status and frequent flyer points will apply. If I want to credit that QF8405 to Skywards, only Skywards miles will apply.

I apologise if the prior examples were incorrect or misleading (I'll blame jetlag).

At present, when not a lot of work has been done on "fare-alignment", you will continue to see fare anomalies. They tell me that they intend on aligning fares across the network, which in my cynical view, is airline speak for fare collusion.

PM me if you are still unsure...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:50 am

Thank you EB, that is fine.

And I have now solved the problem by booking directly with EK, including my OZ domestics on QF. Fortunately the EK booking engine was working and the price was good. So now I don't have to worry about anything until I think of the next thing.

Thanks for your help and patience.
Regards,
David.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
At present, when not a lot of work has been done on "fare-alignment", you will continue to see fare anomalies. They tell me that they intend on aligning fares across the network, which in my cynical view, is airline speak for fare collusion.
"Fare anomalies" is putting it mildly.

In early March I booked SYD-DXB-Europe-DXB-SYD. My travel agent quoted a price for EK flight numbers on EK-operated flights, and 50% more for the same (EK-operated) flights with a QF flight number. Worse, I could fly home on my preferred date if I booked with an EK flight number, but there were no seats available (on the same #*&@ plane) using QF flight numbers. I couldn't justify the extra cost (to my employer) just to get QF status credits.

I like the Emirates schedule; the flight was pleasant, Dubai airport is awesome, but if they can't sort out the pricing/points problem, I think I might go back to SQ.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
"Fare anomalies" is putting it mildly.

In early March I booked SYD-DXB-Europe-DXB-SYD. My travel agent quoted a price for EK flight numbers on EK-operated flights, and 50% more for the same (EK-operated) flights with a QF flight number. Worse, I could fly home on my preferred date if I booked with an EK flight number, but there were no seats available (on the same #*&@ plane) using QF flight numbers. I couldn't justify the extra cost (to my employer) just to get QF status credits.

I like the Emirates schedule; the flight was pleasant, Dubai airport is awesome, but if they can't sort out the pricing/points problem, I think I might go back to SQ.
It is all about fare buckets which I found recently with QF being cheaper than EK on my route LHR to BNE on my then preferred dates. Once the cheap seats are gone then invariably the prices go up.

My one worry about fare anomalies being sorted is that EK flights look like they are getting more expensive as they will have to do to match the typically more expensive QF.

I remain uncertain as to how the EK passenger is going to benefit from this "arrangement".
Old May 3, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K
Due to a one-off business trip a year ago I managed to amass 31,500 points in 10 days... but I've changed company since and have little chance of adding to that pile any time soon.

Any suggestions on how to use the points before they expire ? Seems I cannot transfer them to my regular carrier (UA) unless I'm missing something.

I'm based in Houston and don't see any reason I'd be heading to the Middle East this year.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old May 5, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
EB

Gawd!!
You get TP's and miles booking via a TA also.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by MyraA
You get TP's and miles booking via a TA also.
To be clear, it doesn't matter who books the flight in the sense of recording your reservation and collecting your money (website vs travel agent vs airline phone rep). It doesn't even matter who operates the flight ("EK metal" vs "QF metal").

If it is ticketed as an EK flight number, you get tier miles; if it's a QF flight number you don't.

If it's a QF flight number, you get QF status points (which serve a similar purpose in the QF FF program); if it's an EK flight number, you don't.

My friend who is QF platinum booked EK flight numbers Aus-DXB-Europe thinking he'd get QF status credits because it was also code-shared QF. I told him he wouldn't. And he didn't. He even called to complain since (as in my case) tickets using the EK flight numbers were considerably cheaper than the same flights with QF flight numbers.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by IrishTex
Due to a one-off business trip a year ago I managed to amass 31,500 points in 10 days... but I've changed company since and have little chance of adding to that pile any time soon.

Any suggestions on how to use the points before they expire ? Seems I cannot transfer them to my regular carrier (UA) unless I'm missing something.

I'm based in Houston and don't see any reason I'd be heading to the Middle East this year.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Probably try your luck with the "Gamble" system, where you can buy one ticket to the gamble for 2000 miles. Some fellow FTers have already won it (RT in Business class anywhere in the EK network) if I'm not mistaken.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
To be clear, it doesn't matter who books the flight in the sense of recording your reservation and collecting your money (website vs travel agent vs airline phone rep). It doesn't even matter who operates the flight ("EK metal" vs "QF metal").

If it is ticketed as an EK flight number, you get tier miles; if it's a QF flight number you don't.

If it's a QF flight number, you get QF status points (which serve a similar purpose in the QF FF program); if it's an EK flight number, you don't.

My friend who is QF platinum booked EK flight numbers Aus-DXB-Europe thinking he'd get QF status credits because it was also code-shared QF. I told him he wouldn't. And he didn't. He even called to complain since (as in my case) tickets using the EK flight numbers were considerably cheaper than the same flights with QF flight numbers.
My post was very clear
Old May 15, 2013, 11:11 am
formerly danblar

Have I completely out of the loop and EK has changed silver & gold qualification to 25 and 50 qualifying flights respectively, or is this entirely new?
Old May 15, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danblar
Have I completely out of the loop and EK has changed silver & gold qualification to 25 and 50 qualifying flights respectively, or is this entirely new?
Its a recent change - whereby Silver/Gold qualification is 25/50K tier miles or 25/50 flights respectively. Platinum is 150K tier miles only...
Old May 23, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
My parents are making an online booking, can they put my Skywards number down so I get the miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.