D Class Upgrades

Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

D Class Upgrades

Sorry to bring this topic up YET again.... I'm flying from LGW to AKL, departing on 27th December and hope to upgrade the DXB - AKL (EK412) sector using airmiles.

I've been checking EF, but have found NO availability of D Class on this route on any day between now and the date I'll be flying (yes it did take a long time!)

Phoning Skywards hasn't helped either.... they say keep checking availability closer to departure.

Are some routes easier to upgrade to than others? I'd be grateful for any guidance on this.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
tell me about it!! i've been trying to book upgrades and reward flights on emirates but i've never got an available seat. on the other hand, when i use my miles to book rewards on their partner airlines, japan airlines and United, there is always availability.

so i just booked a holiday flight for my girlfriend and me on JAL to tokyo using my skywards miles that were going to expire.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:42 am

Re. D Class upgrade

From my experiences earlier this year you will have to wait until you get to DXB and then approach an Emirates desk and if there is availability upgrade
using your miles.

My Mrs tried at Birmingham enroute to Sydney & was told to ask at Dubai. If your Gold you may be wait listed for an upgrade? I rang a few days before departure, they told me they will add me to the wait list I checked my booking the next day & I had been upgraded.

All the best.

On another note it seem Skywards has changed for the worst after my partner had arrived back in sydney i checked her skywards account and she was only awarded 4500 tier miles & that was from BHX to SYD - This time last year we received over 11000!!!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your response, have a good holiday
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately only Silver at the mo, will reach Gold once I return to the UK. An added complication is that I'm short by 10,000 miles for the upgrade. Don't want to purchase the additional miles if there's no chance of me being able to upgrade.

Better just accept it, I'm cattle all the way to NZ!!! Checked on 'manage my booking' last night.... there is availability to upgrade on my last leg home, DXB to LGW.... think I'll wait 'til closer to the time and see what happens

Thanks again.....
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Well yea if you're searching for LGW - AKL that's going to be difficult because it includes 3 separate legs, and as most people will tell you it's hard enough getting availability on one leg. My experience with EVERY single flight I've taken so far has been that upgrades open up from a day to a week before departure. As Silver you can get on the waitlist or request an upgrade at check in. Otherwise, just look for individual legs. If you've found one now, take it, because cancelling the upgrade costs you nothing and you get your miles back.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, didn't realise I could canx an upgrade. Think I'll upgrade on the homebound dxb-lgw leg as its available now, and then canx it if the outbound dxb-akl leg becomes available. Can I canx online or will I have to contact the Service Centre to do it?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Robcuk

On another note it seem Skywards has changed for the worst after my partner had arrived back in sydney i checked her skywards account and she was only awarded 4500 tier miles & that was from BHX to SYD - This time last year we received over 11000!!!
That is for a "Saver" fare if you had purchased a "Flex" fare it would have been 9,000 tier miles
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by woollygirl
Thanks for the advice, didn't realise I could canx an upgrade. Think I'll upgrade on the homebound dxb-lgw leg as its available now, and then canx it if the outbound dxb-akl leg becomes available. Can I canx online or will I have to contact the Service Centre to do it?
You'll have to call to do it, or send an email to Skywards.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:41 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ung1
Well yea if you're searching for LGW - AKL that's going to be difficult because it includes 3 separate legs, and as most people will tell you it's hard enough getting availability on one leg. My experience with EVERY single flight I've taken so far has been that upgrades open up from a day to a week before departure. As Silver you can get on the waitlist or request an upgrade at check in. Otherwise, just look for individual legs. If you've found one now, take it, because cancelling the upgrade costs you nothing and you get your miles back.
I second that, from my last 4 or 5 flights upgrades open up anything from 24 hrs to 8 days in advance depending on the segment and how busy it is.

They try and sell those seats for cash as much as possible before they will hand them over to reward redemption.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.