Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skysurfers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Skysurfers

My husband and I and our 2 children (14 and 11) are all silver skywards / sky surfers.

On a recent trip without the kids my husband and I used most of our miles and do not have sufficient for any upgrades. However the children have around 40k miles each.

After Emirates bumped us last week from our checked in, boarding passes printed, seats in row 8, to back in row 31, I asked for an upgrade of 2 seats from economy to business. I was told that the children cannot upgrade without us sitting with them, and as we didn't have enough miles (and no chance of a comp upgrade) they couldn't move them either.

So it seems to me that the children's miles are effectively useless - unless we pay for our business fares and then upgrade the children from economy, then they cannot use them for anything.

It is maddening that Emirates are happy to charge us full fare for 12 year olds, are happy for them to be in paid business seats (which is the reason they have so many miles) - but then tell us children can't fly business class without their parents if you try to upgrade them. It's not as if they are small children - they don't even get child fares!

So what do we do with the skysurfer miles?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:35 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Worcester Woman
My husband and I and our 2 children (14 and 11) are all silver skywards / sky surfers.

On a recent trip without the kids my husband and I used most of our miles and do not have sufficient for any upgrades. However the children have around 40k miles each.

After Emirates bumped us last week from our checked in, boarding passes printed, seats in row 8, to back in row 31, I asked for an upgrade of 2 seats from economy to business. I was told that the children cannot upgrade without us sitting with them, and as we didn't have enough miles (and no chance of a comp upgrade) they couldn't move them either.

So it seems to me that the children's miles are effectively useless - unless we pay for our business fares and then upgrade the children from economy, then they cannot use them for anything.

It is maddening that Emirates are happy to charge us full fare for 12 year olds, are happy for them to be in paid business seats (which is the reason they have so many miles) - but then tell us children can't fly business class without their parents if you try to upgrade them. It's not as if they are small children - they don't even get child fares!

So what do we do with the skysurfer miles?
I'm not sure I quite understand the scenario above but as far as I understand, if you have "control" of your kids accounts (ie you are the nominated administrator), you can use their miles to upgrade yours or your husbands itinerary. They don't need to be travelling with you.

This however, has to be processed via a Skywards centre. They fax you a form, you complete the upgrade request, nominate your kids Skysurfers account (ie where the miles are being debited from) and send it back. Has to be done 6 hours prior to departure.

Obviously, its dependent on space available in the class you want.

I have 2 kids and this is how I manage their accounts.

With regards to your issue above, are you saying that you were downgraded from J to Y in the above instance?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I'm also a bit confused as to what the OP is saying.

In the past, I have had really bad experiences with Skysurfers (my sister's account ended up getting "blocked" for no apparent reason multiple times - they said it was because the adult hadn't signed off giving permission for her which was untrue). I ended up losing the miles and EK wouldn't give them back, so I ended up making accounts with fake birth dates so that they would get a regular Skywards account.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I ended up losing the miles and EK wouldn't give them back, so I ended up making accounts with fake birth dates so that they would get a regular Skywards account.
Although not intentialy, you should be careful as that is fraud. Can I suggest that you contact Skywards and change the dates? (Otherwise, there may be complications in the future when traveling ie customs etc)
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by freakstar
Although not intentialy, you should be careful as that is fraud. Can I suggest that you contact Skywards and change the dates? (Otherwise, there may be complications in the future when traveling ie customs etc)
No longer an issue as the pax is over 16 (it's been a while), and the birthdate is now correct. I also told EK I was doing this... they said go ahead but I think the woman was just tired of dealing with me!

Also, isn't fraud when something is done for unlawful gain?

Genuine Question: How would it cause problems in customs? (Or when travelling at all) Immigration/Customs don't see your FF information AFAIK.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
No longer an issue as the pax is over 16 (it's been a while), and the birthdate is now correct. I also told EK I was doing this... they said go ahead but I think the woman was just tired of dealing with me!

Also, isn't fraud when something is done for unlawful gain?

Genuine Question: How would it cause problems in customs? (Or when travelling at all) Immigration/Customs don't see your FF information AFAIK.
Yes, it would be fraud actually as it would be an unlawful gain - he/she has gained miles (to be fair, small point in this scenario).

Anyway, I am sorry, just trying to be helpful!

Your boarding pass has all your details including your skywards number (check next time) and if they scan it and see a 5 year old (say) and 50 year old (say) is travelling, there may be an issue. Remember, everyone is watching you in Dubai!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Sorry if I wasn't clear - my problem was that if the children couldn't upgrade with their miles unless we upgraded too, and we didn't have sufficient miles to do so, then that was, I thought, rendering their miles useless.
But if we can use their miles to upgrade us adults then I suppose that's what we will do...time to book a couples mini break I think
I just wasn't aware that their miles could be used by us.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Worcester Woman
Sorry if I wasn't clear - my problem was that if the children couldn't upgrade with their miles unless we upgraded too, and we didn't have sufficient miles to do so, then that was, I thought, rendering their miles useless.
But if we can use their miles to upgrade us adults then I suppose that's what we will do...time to book a couples mini break I think
I just wasn't aware that their miles could be used by us.
sorry! got you! silly system.. on the plus side, a mini-break could be good!

ps, did you know that you can buy miles?

Purchase Miles
2,000 Skywards Miles - US$ 50
5,000 Skywards Miles - US$ 125
10,000 Skywards Miles - US$ 250
25,000 Skywards Miles - US$ 625
* Please note tier miles cannot be purchased.

May be an option for you>

http://www.skywards.com/Earning_miles.aspx?SkinId=3

Last edited by freakstar; Sep 1, 2010 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by freakstar
Yes, it would be fraud actually as it would be an unlawful gain - he/she has gained miles (to be fair, small point in this scenario).

Anyway, I am sorry, just trying to be helpful!

Your boarding pass has all your details including your skywards number (check next time) and if they scan it and see a 5 year old (say) and 50 year old (say) is travelling, there may be an issue. Remember, everyone is watching you in Dubai!
But she hasn't In Skywards "Skysurfers" get the same amount of miles as adults.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.