Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Skywards personal and Skywards Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to claim miles on my personal card aswell and rack up miles for the business rewards scheme?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Perhaps if you read about Business Rewards on the Skywards website, you'll find the answer and more information.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:20 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Yes, but here's the deal. You as the individual continue to earn both tier miles and skywards miles for the booking. When you use the Business Rewards booking engine (and you must if you want the credit), then you will also earn Business Rewards Miles at a rate of 2 miles per $1 USD (and this is calculated on the base fare).

If all your travel is in Y, then it will take forever to rack up a one way upgrade.

For me to earn a one-way Y-J upgrade from MEL-SIN, I have to spend US$15K to earn the 30,000 miles needed (assuming I have a flex Y ticket)

At present, I can buy a J-class SIN-MEL for approx US$2200 return. That means, I have to buy 7-round trip J tickets in order to earn ONE business class upgrade.

The system works if you have your entire company enrolled into the program (up to 80-staff). If a lot of the senior people were travelling in J or F out of DXB, then it might make sense, but as a sole operator, I am going to be an old man before I can redeem an award.

The program works if you can achieve "scale". If you cant, then its tough.

The plus side to it is the miles earned are additional to your individual tier and skywards miles, so I suppose we shouldn't be too hard on the program.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
But isn't there some rule that if you earn Business Rewards miles, you won't get any of the bonuses?

ETA: I guess that part is irrelevant now (or does it include miles accelerator?)

Please note that individual members of your organisation continue to earn Skywards Miles and tier miles (but not bonus Skywards Miles for bookings made on emirates.com) for their eligible business flights even as your organisation earns Business Rewards Miles for those same flights.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The bonus part is now irrelevant. It only applied to the online booking bonus which no longer exists. You still get the miles accelerator bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.