Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Miles earning using connections on different tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG

With the geographical zoning, if you book two separate tickets but the flights on the tickets are connecting do you earn miles based on the destinations in your tickets, or based on where you start and finish the journey within that period?

I am assuming that is based on your individual tickets, as the online engine indicates the number of miles earned when going through the booking process, but can anyone confirm this?

My specific example is one booking MEL-SIN-MEL and a second to connect with that SIN-CMB-SIN. It's cheaper doing it on separate tickets, but also earn 30% less miles when booked on separate tickets.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:11 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
As they are separate tickets, you would earn the miles separately even if you connect all the way through from MEL-CMB.

Your 30% less miles calculation is based on a connection via DXB (ie MEL-DXB-CMB). The skywards website won't think to give u MEL-SIN-CMB.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
With the geographical zoning, if you book two separate tickets but the flights on the tickets are connecting do you earn miles based on the destinations in your tickets, or based on where you start and finish the journey within that period?

I am assuming that is based on your individual tickets, as the online engine indicates the number of miles earned when going through the booking process, but can anyone confirm this?

My specific example is one booking MEL-SIN-MEL and a second to connect with that SIN-CMB-SIN. It's cheaper doing it on separate tickets, but also earn 30% less miles when booked on separate tickets.
I absolutely couldn't believe that separate tickets would earn fewer miles (this is contrary to how the programme works, because usually separate tickets cost more), and taking a look at the miles calculator, you indeed get an additional 8,500 miles on SIN-CMB (which is a 3.5 hr flight) as opposed to 3,400 when just flying that leg.

Well, miles are earned based on origin and destination of a ticket, it has nothing to do with time or anything else. So you will earn miles separately. If the fare difference isn't much, do it on one ticket - you end up with a lot more miles!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by khalid26
As they are separate tickets, you would earn the miles separately even if you connect all the way through from MEL-CMB.

Your 30% less miles calculation is based on a connection via DXB (ie MEL-DXB-CMB). The skywards website won't think to give u MEL-SIN-CMB.
Just checked ek though, and even if you route via SIN, it still gives you 16000 tier miles. Could probably make for a nice MR.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ung1
Just checked ek though, and even if you route via SIN, it still gives you 16000 tier miles. Could probably make for a nice MR.
Yes that is correct. Wouldn't waste my money doing a MR (ex-CMB) in Y, not a cheap fare. Move forward a cabin though, and for not a lot more $$ than Y I can go from Silver to Gold in one step, a hidden gem.

Thanks for the advice re separate tickets - through fare is definitely worth it, as for $70AUD or so you get and extra 5,100 miles plus protection of a single ticket.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:14 am

Yes that is correct. Wouldn't waste my money doing a MR (ex-CMB) in Y, not a cheap fare. Move forward a cabin though, and for not a lot more $$ than Y I can go from Silver to Gold in one step, a hidden gem.

Thanks for the advice re separate tickets - through fare is definitely worth it, as for $70AUD or so you get and extra 5,100 miles plus protection of a single ticket.
I thought MEL-CMB might be a good mileage run, not sure what the fares are like. It's certainly the most time efficient one, as only something like DXB-AKL would earn that much, and thats a lot more flying.

I think protection of single ticket wouldn't be necessary since they are both on EK, would it?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ung1
I think protection of single ticket wouldn't be necessary since they are both on EK, would it?
Misconnect and the airline is under no obligation to assist and can just charge change fees/new fare costs as applicable. If MEL-SIN misses connection to CMB on a through fare, then the airline is obligated to get passenger to destination

That it is all on EK does not affect this. Some airlines may choose to provide onwards options, but not guaranteed and may end up with a longer wait ( e,g, not get rebooked on another carrier ) than as a through ticket
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That it is all on EK does not affect this. Some airlines may choose to provide onwards options, but not guaranteed and may end up with a longer wait ( e,g, not get rebooked on another carrier ) than as a through ticket
It would be interesting to know what EK do in these circumstances. Some carriers are quite good about it irrespective of what their legal obligations are, others are less so, particularly as you move to the bottom end of the spectrum.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:34 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
It would be interesting to know what EK do in these circumstances. Some carriers are quite good about it irrespective of what their legal obligations are, others are less so, particularly as you move to the bottom end of the spectrum.
My experience with EK suggests that IF you have status (Gold or Silver), then they would for the most part, accommodate your requirements. I reckon it would very much come down to the personality and mood of the agent at the time.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:18 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Misconnect and the airline is under no obligation to assist and can just charge change fees/new fare costs as applicable. If MEL-SIN misses connection to CMB on a through fare, then the airline is obligated to get passenger to destination

Even on separate tickets, if you are checked all the way through (he would get his SIN-CMB bpass at MEL check-in) then its treated as one ticket and its the airline's responsibility especially given its EK to EK although it would still apply on partner airline connections..
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by khalid26
Even on separate tickets, if you are checked all the way through (he would get his SIN-CMB bpass at MEL check-in) then its treated as one ticket and its the airline's responsibility especially..
If it is 2 tickets then there is no responsibility on the airline to get the passenger beyond Singapore regardless of whether checked in or not; it is a risk to book 2 separate ticketes since relying on goodwill should anything go on

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.