Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fired Irish Emirates FA in South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fired Irish Emirates FA in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Employment laws in the UAE allow EK to pretty much require anything as part of the employment contract. Female, single, slim, hair colour, ethnicity, etc. That's just the way it is. It's a classic case of "It's good to be the King!"

As to whether or not the story is true, I will note that there are many cases around the world annually where a woman does not know she is pregnant and then something surprising happens (like birth!) so the biological aspect of this should not be considered totally suspect.

As to whether or not Emirates left her in the lurch in South Africa, I think if what was reported in the OP actually transpired, EK would be in hot water w/ SA immigration authorities. The crew member's admittance to South Africa is based on the issuance of a visa, which specifically places the requirement of repatriation with the individual visa holders employer. Unless the holder commits a crime, I doubt that EK would be let off the hook.

Anyway, sad story if true, but in the same category of other women who have hurt their backs lifting a passenger's Rollaboard into the overhead bin and found themselves without a job once their medical leave ran out, or other women who partied too hard and found themselves in jail overnight in Dubai and out of a job the next day.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: pants
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh

Anyway, sad story if true, but in the same category of other women who have hurt their backs lifting a passenger's Rollaboard into the overhead bin and found themselves without a job once their medical leave ran out, or other women who partied too hard and found themselves in jail overnight in Dubai and out of a job the next day.
Hmmm care to share those stories.

OPs story is a story unless someone posts a birth certificate in the name of "Alexandra Johanna" link

The issue is not the fact that the lady in question breached her employment contract, which she clearly did. But the fact that this clause in her contract precludes her from procreating and continuing her employment with her company.

Emirates and its parent nation always puts its "values" in our faces while we conduct the most mundane activities , for example http://www.etisalat.ae/assets/document/blockcontent.pdf

Considering the fact that its "legal" to get it on with a valid marriage license in the sandpit , I wish EK would have done the right thing and taken care of the baby + bills and then silently ( in true EK form ) gotten rid of the employee who breached the contract

picture of the alleged baby

Why alleged?

• The babys name is == Alexandra Johanna
  • Look at the image below ( and on the facebook link above)
  • babies have two legs
  • Girls have two legs
  • Alexandra Johanna is a girly name
  • Baby picture has two legs and something in between

Just an observation

Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:29 am

Programs: QF Silver
Not sure whether this is a true story, but you would not start a facebook group but rather approach the media and you can be sure that the Irish media and the BBC would be all over this. Furthermore, this is a case where the Irish High Commission would definitely step in and offer help to their Citizen. They would not leave their citizens stranded in SA just like that. Therefore I personally doubt this is a true story.

Btw, I asked my wife for her opinion as she is a surgeon. She says it is impossible to not know that you are six months pregnant unless you are obese. Also one should consider that a pregnant woman "has not been surfing on the red wave" for half a year, morning sickness, change in food habits, tiredness. Even a few of the symptoms are not present, some will be there and cause a rational woman to suspect that she is pregnant (those are her words, not mine).
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As a Google News search shows that this "story" has not been picked up ANYWHERE I have to conclude that the whole story is a fake.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Although it's not a common occurence, it's also by no means rare or unheard of.
Yes indeed, but usually such women are rather large would not be working for EK.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:34 am

My instinct says scam.

If anybody really wanted to check the validity of this story, I am sure it would be quite easy to make a few phone calls.

I am sure some international press would have picked this up already, seeing as the story is almost two months in (January 21). They probably checked the facts and it didn't hold water (no pun intended).

Yet, still the appeal for donations. Reminds me of these 419 scams.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:35 am

its showed up on two different threads at pprune

here http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/407...ague-need.html
and here http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/287...ons-ii-27.html
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:22 am
Suspended

I have now had time to consider all aspects of this story and have determined that it is in fact cobblers.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Basil B
If she did end up having a baby as stated then the action of EK is predictable as only today we have a news story regarding two Britain's sentenced to a month in prison for kissing in a restaurant in Dubai.
Whilst not an apologist for Dubai, these stories rarely get the true picture in the UK media. Its like the two caught 'at it' on Jumeirah beach a couple of years back. They were warned 3 times by the cops - didn't read that anywhere in the SUn's coverage. Also the Sun / Daily Mail failed to point out that if if you did that in broad saylight in a UK beach you would get less than 3 warnings. Still, pesky Arabs and their er, backward laws eh? How dare they upset their British pissed up guests. The rumour I heard about the 'kissing' story was somewhat similar....and it wasn't just kissing they were getting up to. Careful believing all you read.

As for Emirates T's & C's - these are apparently educated people signing on the dotted line. There terms are basically similar to any other expat on single basis in the UAE. Just the way it is there and remember, it is one of the more liberal gulf states. Don't like it? Don;t go. Simple.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: Star GOLD, EK SIlver
Let's examine the evidence! Please note, I can judge everyone and everything - it means I express my opinion, if you are not happy - sue me!
The story about this girl is true, however...
EK contract is very clear - no medical or any kind of coverage for pregnancy! As soon as the female cabin crew realises she's pregnant, she must stop flying and let EK know about that. From that moment the crew is on maternity leave - no salary, BUT the crew continues living in a free accomodation with all bills paid by EK (water, electricity etc) and with all travel benefits (ID tickets). Which basicly means - enjoy the sun and the fun of Dubai and travel for free to your home country for medical checks and delivery. Note! Most of pregnant girls are married and they are covered with husband's medical insurance for pregnancy, so basicly most of the girls have husband's insurance and EK free perks.
The Irish girl is extremely stupid!!! + the Irish culture made big influence on here stupidity (Catholic church + abortion problems in Ireland).
1. Having sex without condom
2. Being six month pregnant and not knowing? If she didnt realise she's pregnant - extremely stupid - coz it is visible, no menstruation and baby starts kicking 4th-5th months of pregnancy. If she knew, she is more than extremely stupid, coz she was not thinking of her baby with all those daily take-offs and landings and lifting-pulling-pushings heavy objects etc. during the flight.
3. Not seeking medical attention in Jo'burg and delivering the baby in a hotel room. Then she spent thousands to cover the bills and blamed EK for that. There are even flyers on EK staff mail boxes for collecting money for the girl.
Just from a human point of view - my sympathy, but blaming Emirates? Especially if you are hiding your pregnancy, not to lose your salary.

You can bespatter me as much as you want
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by ekfb
Let's examine the evidence! Please note, I can judge everyone and everything - it means I express my opinion, if you are not happy - sue me!
The story about this girl is true, however...
EK contract is very clear - no medical or any kind of coverage for pregnancy! As soon as the female cabin crew realises she's pregnant, she must stop flying and let EK know about that. From that moment the crew is on maternity leave - no salary, BUT the crew continues living in a free accomodation with all bills paid by EK (water, electricity etc) and with all travel benefits (ID tickets). Which basicly means - enjoy the sun and the fun of Dubai and travel for free to your home country for medical checks and delivery. Note! Most of pregnant girls are married and they are covered with husband's medical insurance for pregnancy, so basicly most of the girls have husband's insurance and EK free perks.
The Irish girl is extremely stupid!!! + the Irish culture made big influence on here stupidity (Catholic church + abortion problems in Ireland).
1. Having sex without condom
2. Being six month pregnant and not knowing? If she didnt realise she's pregnant - extremely stupid - coz it is visible, no menstruation and baby starts kicking 4th-5th months of pregnancy. If she knew, she is more than extremely stupid, coz she was not thinking of her baby with all those daily take-offs and landings and lifting-pulling-pushings heavy objects etc. during the flight.
3. Not seeking medical attention in Jo'burg and delivering the baby in a hotel room. Then she spent thousands to cover the bills and blamed EK for that. There are even flyers on EK staff mail boxes for collecting money for the girl.
Just from a human point of view - my sympathy, but blaming Emirates? Especially if you are hiding your pregnancy, not to lose your salary.

You are bespattered @!@

Not because of your opinions which of course you are most welcome to, here on FT or anywhere else - but because you dont provide any evidence to the fact that this story is real.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
You are bespattered @!@

Not because of your opinions which of course you are most welcome to, here on FT or anywhere else - but because you dont provide any evidence to the fact that this story is real.
ekfb pointed out that their mail boxes contain flyers collecting money for the mother. The only other evidence I can think of would involve photos taken from the inside of her falopian tube.

Based on the information provided by ekfb, I shall downgrade my earlier pronouncement of this story from "Cobblers" to "borderline bollocks". Further evidence will result in a complete and unreserved retraction.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by chunk73
Whilst not an apologist for Dubai, these stories rarely get the true picture in the UK media. Its like the two caught 'at it' on Jumeirah beach a couple of years back. They were warned 3 times by the cops - didn't read that anywhere in the SUn's coverage. Also the Sun / Daily Mail failed to point out that if if you did that in broad saylight in a UK beach you would get less than 3 warnings. Still, pesky Arabs and their er, backward laws eh? How dare they upset their British pissed up guests. The rumour I heard about the 'kissing' story was somewhat similar....and it wasn't just kissing they were getting up to. Careful believing all you read.
A couple was arrested for having sex in St. Patricks cathedral, here in New York. Where's the tolerance, people!

Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ekfb
Let's just say that this is in keeping with the usual bollocks you post on here.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:17 am

Completely unrelated

Steamy text messages have resulted in a three-month jail sentence for an Indian man and an Indian woman in Dubai.

Judges ruled that they had planned to "commit sin", a reference to an extramarital affair - which is illegal in the United Arab Emirates.

The unnamed pair, aged 47 and 42, were working as cabin crew for Dubai's Emirates airline. Source: BBC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.