Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fired Irish Emirates FA in South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:43 am
Original Poster

There's been a story floating around blogs and facebook about an Irish FA who didn't know she was pregnant and was told by the doctors she had stomach problems, gave birth in South Africa on an overnight layover and gave birth. Because Emirates does not allow FAs to have children out of wedlock, she was fired and left stranded in Johannesburg, told to vacate the hotel she provided by the airline and left with a huge hospital bill. Due to the baby's condition, they must stay in South Africa for at least 3 months.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8116973&ref=ts

I was wondering does anybody know about this? Is this story true or an elaborate scam? There has been some blogs searched on google that mention this. If so, why isn't there more information about this or why hasn't the media picked up on this. Frankly if this true, this seems like a horrible PR for Emirates.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: pants
Well considering its EK the story could be true. Am not a EK hater because its in fashion. I've had the misfortune of knowing at least one person who went through a similar ( though less dramatic ) ordeal.

Will ask around, but dont expect any answers.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:02 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
How can a woman give birth and thinking she had been stomach problems instead?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: pants
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
How can a woman give birth and thinking she had been stomach problems instead?
Could it be because she was trying to hide the fact that she was pregnant.
EK fires FAs the moment its confirmed that they have been knocked up.

Its easy for a firm to post profits if you dont need to pay pensions, health benefits + other benefits for associates who have families ( in DXB ). http://www.theemiratesgroup.com/engl...l-reports.aspx
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Enrich Silver, KrisFlyer, AsiaMiles, BAEC, QF FF, Marriott Elite Silver
The story is a little bit dodgy, how on earth a woman didn't know she was pregnant for 6 months.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Enrich Silver, KrisFlyer, AsiaMiles, BAEC, QF FF, Marriott Elite Silver
Originally Posted by roadrunner21
Its easy for a firm to post profits if you dont need to pay pensions, health benefits + other benefits for associates who have families ( in DXB ). http://www.theemiratesgroup.com/engl...l-reports.aspx
I think they pay pensions and benefit, etc. The fact that she lied about the pregnancy broke her employment contract. Therefore not eligible for any of those benefits.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: NZ*G and a couple of other Silvers.
Originally Posted by roadrunner21
Could it be because she was trying to hide the fact that she was pregnant.
EK fires FAs the moment its confirmed that they have been knocked up.

They'll fire staff who don't tell them that they are pregnant and aren't married, that's a slight difference.

As for the second statement, can you clarify exactly what you mean?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by sdh80
They'll fire staff who don't tell them that they are pregnant and aren't married, that's a slight difference.

As for the second statement, can you clarify exactly what you mean?
AFAIK all cabin crew are hired on single status-- meaning no visa or beneifits for family etc.

Based on local laws if a single women was pregnant in a resident in Dubai and unmarried she would probably end up being arrested along with the partner- thats the law --- like it or not, every country and culture varies and we may not agree but if you choose to live here then you have to accept the good with the bad....

I am sure her helath policy also would not have covered pregnancy, and that is quite normal for anyone on single status in dubai and more over allot of policies even some where people ar eon family visa-- I am sure not a llot different than other countries without full free health care (UK, Canada)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There have been stories of women who didn't know they were pregnant and then gave birth. I can understand how it can happen.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by LGW_CGK
I think they pay pensions and benefit, etc. The fact that she lied about the pregnancy broke her employment contract. Therefore not eligible for any of those benefits.
In most countires such kind of contracts would be deemed illegal anyway.

Glad I haven't been sending money EKs way ...
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
In most countires such kind of contracts would be deemed illegal anyway.

Glad I haven't been sending money EKs way ...
But it doesn't mean lying about the pregnancy is acceptable. She signed the contract in the first place, which mean that she agreed with all the T&C.

She should have just resign once she find out about the pregnancy. Then this problem would never happen. So IMO, she also partly responsible about what happened.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by manneca
There have been stories of women who didn't know they were pregnant and then gave birth. I can understand how it can happen.
She has absolutely no reason why Irish woman who gotten fired from her jobs and it is none of her business with her pregnancy. She wasn't supposed to be stay at home due to her pregnancy. She does not right to get her termination from her job at EK. She didn't telling EK management about the situations is going on with her.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
Although it's not a common occurence, it's also by no means rare or unheard of.

I read an article in The Irish Times last year (but can't find it, as I hadn't heard of the singer/group involved before) about an Irish singer going into labour on stage without having known she was pregnant.

Here are some other examples from the San Francisco Chronicle website, including a CNN interview with just such a Mom uploaded only 4 days ago.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Can we get back to the OP's question: is this for real or is it a scam?

Does anyone have an informed opinion?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: SkyWards Ex Silver & BA
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Can we get back to the OP's question: is this for real or is it a scam?

Does anyone have an informed opinion?
I would be a little sceptical as I presume that where a women is pregnant and dose not know is normally that she is grossly over weight to start with, that dose not fit the profile of cabin crew particularly Emirates.

If she did end up having a baby as stated then the action of EK is predictable as only today we have a news story regarding two Britain's sentenced to a month in prison for kissing in a restaurant in Dubai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.