Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I fancy a whinge !

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

I fancy a whinge !

Flew out of Newcastle yesterday to Dubai for an onward flight to the Far East. Checked in online, 01A as usual. Got to the desk, and my seat had been changed due to equipment change. Ok, so it's now a 3 class A330 instead of the 777. So, rather than leaving me in 01A I am now in 7K (I think) as the whole of the 1st section is closed off. Why ? Well, actually, it's not strictly true, it is NOT closed off, there is one cabin crew member travelling as non rev passenger who is sleeping wonderfully well, with the entire cabnin to herself. Now why, if it's ok for her is it not OK for paying passengers. Certainly when there has been a substitution on the Manchester flights I have been lucky enough to keep my original allocation and get a comfier seat.

Add to that the flight being an hour late into Dubai, being parked as usual on a (very) remote stand, adding 15 minutes for a bus transfer, and a shambolic display at the chauffer drive desk, meaning that I didn;t get to my overnight hotel until well after 2 this morning. I had to be back here by 7, so it was hardly worth leaving the aiprport, I might have well stayed in the lounge here and taken a sofa to myself for the night !

Not good enough Emirates I'm afraid. KLM by comparison were impecable this week on a trip to the Middle East and back to the UK.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, BA Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Welcome to Emirates.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Although having just arrived at Bangkok EK managed to turn the situation around with an upgrade from J to F, on the 380 so into the suites once more, for free this time. I had tried repeatedly to upgrade using miles, but there was no availability so decided to stick with it in J. Then when I went to board, the nice man at the gate ripped my boarding pass up, and told me he had a "better seat " for me, and he was right, 3F will do vey nicely thank you, although is it just me a jaded traveller, or are the suites simply not special ? My remote controller was intermittent, the battery was flat, my seat had a mind of it's own, starting the massage function when it felt like if and scaring the crap out of me.

Still mustn't grumble, the food was nice and the DP was extra nice. Took time out this time to hit the shower, what a nice experience that is mid trip, and even walked back to the bar to see what it was like didn't stay long mind, just time to pick up a large Glenfiddich and wander back Oop front.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:59 am
NCL

Programs: HH Diamond, BA blue, Virgin flying club silver, Skywards silver, SPG Platinum, Marriott silver.
[QUOTE=tezzer;12864273]Flew out of Newcastle yesterday to Dubai for an onward flight to the Far East. Checked in online, 01A as usual. Got to the desk, and my seat had been changed due to equipment change. Ok, so it's now a 3 class A330 instead of the 777.

That`s a strange one. It always is an A330 on that route anyway! (I know they were trying to get a 777 on the route but I haven`t heard this has happened yet)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Ahh, maybe it should have been a 2 class 330m instead if the supplied 3 class. So used to the MCR legs, only ever seem to get 777s.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:27 am
NCL

Programs: HH Diamond, BA blue, Virgin flying club silver, Skywards silver, SPG Platinum, Marriott silver.
That must be it, It is normally a 2 class, I wonder if they will make a 3 class a regular, although I`m not sure if there is the demand for it.

A friend of mine is looking to experience the A380 upstairs to Australia with his miles, however with all the substitutions EK seem to be making at the moment, it might not be worth making a special effort for it!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:28 pm

As far as I know, there is no plan to change NCL to a 3 class aircraft permanently or regularly, but the new 3 class 777-300 has recently made an appearance a few times on the BHX and NCL sectors. This is usually done if one of the sectors (eg DXB-NCL, or NCL-DXB) is overbooked in J/C so that the seats in F/C can also be used, although the food / service will still be the same as in J/C.
Of course the Skywards Gold & Silver members will have priority for the seat upgrades.

NCL, after a lot of problems with the 380s initially, I haven't heard of many aircraft substitutions recently. Lets hope that this consistency continues. Otherwise tell your friend to check when he drops off his baggage and also ask the purser on board whether upgrades are still available using miles. Its not often that they are, but its always worth trying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.