Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Official: Changes to Skywards from '10 - it was bound to happen..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official: Changes to Skywards from '10 - it was bound to happen..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by justforfun
From nowhere!! It is completely fabricated, even if done under the best of intentions.
Not entirely true. The poster took the current redemption zones and divided everything by 10. While the 10 number is arbritary it seems to make logical sense. But when is EK ever logical...

If nothing else, the chart teaches us the following:

Flights to cities which would earn MORE than the miles they used to earn are currently expensive cities for redemptions (e.g. you earn less than 4,000 on BHX-DXB but have to spend 40,000 for a ticket)

On the other hand, flights which would earn LESS under the new scheme scheme are currently cheaper redemptions (e.g. you earn MORE than 7,000 miles SFO-DXB but the reward ticket is only 70,000)

[I know that's probably quite confusing but I'm mimicking EK here :-p]

Cheers
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stern84
There used to be a 10% discount for booking online, in 2007 if I am not wrong.

Yes, you are probably right, zones means miles will not be exactly calculated after distance, but grouped together at round numbers. Which will probably be lower than what you would earn now. I am pessimistic here, because Emirates just want to make profit!
True, though I don't think currently there is a discount for booking upgrades online. That said, if the changes devalue the miles, the 5% might not reduce the required miles.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold

From history, practice, and facts:

History: Emirates have been very generous previously until they became a giant airline where they started practicing strict commercial practices and neglect the good customer service they were known for. They don't need good customer service nor they need generous FFP anymore which has become a burden in their eyes. People will still fly because of the good reputation they had.

Practice:
1- Foot rests taken off planes.
2- Strict Fees and baggage limitations (until lately).
3- The latest downgrade of their skywards.
4- Every time I call EK to upgrade using miles, they say it is not available. However, the agent would convince you to call nearer to the flight dep, one was almost going to swear the upgrade would open. This tells me that they
deliberatly close upgrade seats and make them available for paying customers until the dep date. They would fill them nearer to dep with leftovers (FF).
That is treason by a supposedly premium airline to their FFs.

Facts:
They don't have the government support like their emerging rivals, Qatar Airways and Etihad. Therefore, they need to compensate that by squeezing as much as they can from their customers.

What to expect? A failed once successful airline.

Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Really interesting set of developments !

Pity the new tier is not here

I'm looking forward to getting the new designed Gold card !!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Question Gold for 2010

Question

1. I am currently 2000 miles off renewing Gold, and will be >50,000 after our Melbourne Cup trip in 2 weeks. Thus I understand I should get my new card and be sweet up to Dec 2010. Ok.

2. I returned from CPT last week and earned ~41,000 tier miles (say they were earned on 1 September 2009). Does this mean that if I fly 9,000 tier miles between 1 Jan 2010 and 31 Aug 2010 I get Gold (again) and 12 months validity from 1 Sep 2010? Am I confused?

I think as much as I love EK, they really have been economical with the numbers.

cw
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by chrisweka
Question

1. I am currently 2000 miles off renewing Gold, and will be >50,000 after our Melbourne Cup trip in 2 weeks. Thus I understand I should get my new card and be sweet up to Dec 2010. Ok.

2. I returned from CPT last week and earned ~41,000 tier miles (say they were earned on 1 September 2009). Does this mean that if I fly 9,000 tier miles between 1 Jan 2010 and 31 Aug 2010 I get Gold (again) and 12 months validity from 1 Sep 2010? Am I confused?

I think as much as I love EK, they really have been economical with the numbers.

cw
1. I believe you will be Gold until end Jan 2011.

2. Your renewal anniversary date will be end Jan 2011, at which point you will be evaluated for 50,000 tier miles over the past 13 months (Jan 2010 thru Jan 2010) to see if you requalify for Gold. You will NOT be evaluated until then. It's only a rolling 13 month qualifying period for moving up in status, not for retaining current status.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: SkyWards Ex Silver & BA
Bit of a puzzled here.

Some posts seem indicate that Silver and Gold cards issued for tier miles flown this year will now not be valid until 28/2/2011, are Emirates so unscrupulous as not to honour fringe benefits that would have been a deciding factor of many travellers to fly with them this year and not a competitor who's ticket may have been cheaper?

What about those who have already received cards dated "28/2/2011"?

Another factor is the 13 month issue, I fly twice a year and as I read it I am at a disadvantage because my flights straddle month ends.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Basil B
Bit of a puzzled here.

Some posts seem indicate that Silver and Gold cards issued for tier miles flown this year will now not be valid until 28/2/2011, are Emirates so unscrupulous as not to honour fringe benefits that would have been a deciding factor of many travellers to fly with them this year and not a competitor who's ticket may have been cheaper?

What about those who have already received cards dated "28/2/2011"?
As far as I can tell, the card will be valid until 28/2/2011 with your review date 31/12/2010. For people who alread have status, there should be no change in terms of review dates. People moving up status lose out, though, because before they'd get rest of this year + all next year, and from 2010 they'll only get 12 months.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:43 am

Do you guys think, with the introduction of all these new rules, it might be better for etihad FF. They are coming up really well as well.
I am certainly thinking about it!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by yoshy
Do you guys think, with the introduction of all these new rules, it might be better for etihad FF. They are coming up really well as well.
I am certainly thinking about it!
Yes, I would suggest switching to Etihad.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The description in the FAQs states

A 'Skywards Saver' fare is any Emirates fare with either:
(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc)
(b) a limited sales period ("must purchase by" date)
All fares sold by other airlines, partly flown on Emirates, also fall into this category.

A ticket which has a max stay restriction would not seem to fit within the description given
The follow up news is not good. I'm moving my > 100K miles travel per year to other carriers.

I just bought a roundtrip ticket from EK flying on EK between India and Dubai. The ticket receipt shows that it is a SKYWARDS SAVER fare.

However, the fare conditions:
a. List NO eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc).
b. List NO limited sales period.

Here are the complete extent of restrictions that I can find in the fare rules:
STOPOVERS
UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED LIMITED TO 2 FREE AND UNLIMITED AT INR 2000 EACH. 1 FREE IN DXB IN EACH DIRECTION UNLIMITED AT INR 2000 EACH. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.

FLIGHT APPLIC
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING EK FLIGHTS 6670 THROUGH 6671 EK FLIGHTS 6680 THROUGH 6681. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY EK FLIGHT OPERATED BY EK ANY IT FLIGHT.

SEASONS
NO SEA RESTRICTION

MINIMUM STAY
ANY EK FLIGHT OPERATED BY EK ANY IT FLIGHT. SEASONS

MAXIMUM STAY
TRAVEL FROM LAST INTERNATIONAL STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

BLACKOUTS
NO BLA RESTRICTION
Can anyone explain how this meets the qualifications of a SKYWARDS SAVER fare?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Earning credit per each sector flown -- rather than earning credit in the way EK is proposing to do next year -- was a way for an airline to reward customer for choosing to fly a less convenient routing yet providing the business anyway to the less convenient carrier.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by maeharasmuse
Maximum stay 3 months.
That is not a restriction on eligibility (such as students; seniors; companions; etc) or sales period.

BTW, did you also have a look at the 'PENALTIES' section ??
Yes, there are penalty fees for changes or refunds.

What was the booking class?? How was the price??
This is an economy seat with fare basis XPX3MIN4. Price was similar to the amount I've regularly seen on this route over the past year.

Last edited by starflyer; Oct 18, 2009 at 6:50 am
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by starflyer
The follow up news is not good. I'm moving my > 100K miles travel per year to other carriers.

I just bought a roundtrip ticket from EK flying on EK between India and Dubai. The ticket receipt shows that it is a SKYWARDS SAVER fare.

However, the fare conditions:
a. List NO eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc).
b. List NO limited sales period.

Here are the complete extent of restrictions that I can find in the fare rules:
STOPOVERS
UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED LIMITED TO 2 FREE AND UNLIMITED AT INR 2000 EACH. 1 FREE IN DXB IN EACH DIRECTION UNLIMITED AT INR 2000 EACH. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.

FLIGHT APPLIC
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING EK FLIGHTS 6670 THROUGH 6671 EK FLIGHTS 6680 THROUGH 6681. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY EK FLIGHT OPERATED BY EK ANY IT FLIGHT.

SEASONS
NO SEA RESTRICTION

MINIMUM STAY
ANY EK FLIGHT OPERATED BY EK ANY IT FLIGHT. SEASONS

MAXIMUM STAY
TRAVEL FROM LAST INTERNATIONAL STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

BLACKOUTS
NO BLA RESTRICTION
Can anyone explain how this meets the qualifications of a SKYWARDS SAVER fare?
Wierd ho you got the "SAVER" or "FLEX" already mentioned in your ticket. I thought this was not going to appear until 01/2010.
I purchased 3 tickets yesterday and cannot see Saver or Flex mentioned anywhere on the E-ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by torontoflyer
Wierd ho you got the "SAVER" or "FLEX" already mentioned in your ticket. I thought this was not going to appear until 01/2010.
I purchased 3 tickets yesterday and cannot see Saver or Flex mentioned anywhere on the E-ticket.
Look in the lower right corner of the PDF e-Ticket Receipt. You'll see something similar to the following:
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
FQEK######### NON-END/NON-RRTE/NON-REF/SKYWARDS SA VER/VALID ON EK
It's appearing on all the e-Ticket Receipts that I generate now, even for tickets purchased several weeks ago.

You can see an example on the Skywards web site: http://www.skywards.com/MS_Default.aspx?pgID=9
Look at "Earning By Fare Type" then "How do I identify a 'Skywards Flex' or 'Skywards Saver' fare - after I buy a ticket?".

Last edited by starflyer; Oct 18, 2009 at 7:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.