Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Official: Changes to Skywards from '10 - it was bound to happen..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Discuss.....

1 January 2010 heralds the beginning of a new decade for Emirates and an exciting new phase in your Skywards membership. In order to better cater to the different needs of our loyal customers, Skywards will evolve into a more modern, sophisticated and personalised programme with a truly exclusive Gold tier for valued members such as yourself.

2010 also marks Skywards tenth anniversary. To celebrate, we will unveil an exciting, contemporary new look. Most notably, you can look forward to receiving a distinctive new membership card, that truly reflects your status as a top tier member. Skywards.com will also bring you new and enhanced tools to help you effortlessly manage your Skywards account.

More Choice. More Earning and Reward Opportunities.

Ten key programme changes will provide you with more choice and control over how you earn and spend your Miles from 1 January 2010.

Earning will be linked to the type of ticket purchased, benefiting members who pay higher fares. Cabin bonuses for First and Business Class travel will increase. Our unique ’Skywards Miles Accelerator’ will provide year-round flight bonuses and new one-way rewards will be introduced. These represent just some of the changes you can take advantage of, in the programme. To learn more about the changes affecting tickets you purchase from 1 January 2010, please use the links below.

Further updates will be available on skywards.com leading up to Skywards' re-launch on 1 January 2010. We encourage you to visit our comprehensive "Frequently Asked Questions" section to help you understand the programme changes in more detail, or to send us any additional questions you may have.

While we recognise the programme changes will affect members differently, we are confident that the enhancements will allow you to enjoy a more exclusive Gold tier and all its benefits.

In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you on board again very soon.

Ten key changes for tickets purchased from 1 January 2010
1. Miles will be earned by fare type, either Skywards Flex or Skywards Saver
2. Cabin bonuses will increase to 150% and 75% for First and Business Class respectively
3. Earning zones will be introduced, replicating Skywards current rewards structure
4. Miles will be credited upon reaching your final destination, rather than per sector
5. The 'Skywards Miles Accelerator' will offer flight bonuses throughout the year
6. Saver and Flex Flight Rewards will offer you exceptional value or flexibility
7. One-way Flex Rewards will be introduced
8. Upgrade Rewards will be linked to fare type
9. Tier miles will also be earned by fare type, destination and class of travel
10. A new and more flexible tier qualification structure will be introduced
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
from the site...

Tier miles are earned at the same rate as you earn Skywards Miles and will also depend on the fare you purchase, where you commence and end your journey and the cabin you travel in. Which means you'll earn more tier miles when you purchase a Skywards Flex fare.

As before, you will need 25,000 tier miles to earn or retain Silver status, and 50,000 miles for Gold.

But you will now benefit from a more flexible qualification window to earn a higher tier rather than the current January to December calendar period.

Effective 1 January 2010, you will immediately benefit from having up to13 months to earn a higher tier, counted across any consecutive calendar period. For example, we will count your tier miles earned from January 2009 - January 2010; February 2009 - February 2010; March 2009 - March 2010; etc. Once you achieve a higher tier, your review date will be set for the end of the same month in the following year.

Also from January, a dedicated new section on skywards.com called Tier status will provide you with a very simple and interactive view of the tier miles you have earned, those you will earn on your future booked flights and the additional tier miles you need to reach a higher tier. This will help you easily monitor your progress

Last edited by dearbee; Oct 14, 2009 at 7:03 am
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
You beat me to it.

Glad to see that oneway redemptions will now be possible.

B
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:36 am

so it does not appear any platinum or diamond tier will be introduced...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: pants
Link to the information -> http://www.skywards.com/MS_Default.aspx?pgID=4
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Anyone else shocked that here is no Platinum tier - and.or that Gold is still 50K to Qualify?

Maybe with the new earnings it will be more diffuclt to get the tier miles?

Not really liking the miles point to point-- instead of per segment- that is more personal based on the routes I do and the probable net loss I will get on those routes.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: pants
Hmm waiting for Earning zones will be introduced, replicating Skywards current rewards structure list... so we can start planning. anyone got some inside information?

Let the rumormill start
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:46 am

instead of 12 months to qualify, now it's 13 so it could be easier to reach a certain tier. obviously if the person flys on Skywards Saver mostly then he/she will have a longer time to accumulate tier miles.

i can't wait for my new flashier card in '10.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Sounds like a very complex modification.
Point to point miles will probably see a significant reduction of mileage earned if I understsand correctly.

So a FRA-DXB-BKK flight would now only net the direct ditance between FRA and BKK ?
In that case most people will be short changed, unless the earning zones will compensate ?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:49 am

Here is answer for will Skywards have a 4th Tier: (from the microsite)

Emirates is continually looking for additional ways to provide recognition and exemplary service to our very top customers. For now, the Gold tier remains our most elite tier with benefits and privileges deserving of our best customers.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Point to point miles will probably see a significant reduction of mileage earned if I understsand correctly.

So a FRA-DXB-BKK flight would now only net the direct ditance between FRA and BKK ?
In that case most people will be short changed, unless the earning zones will compensate ?
i don't think that will be the case. this is from point 4 of the microsite:

Miles will now be calculated from where your journey begins and ends, as per your ticket. Instead of receiving your Miles after each individual sector or flight, Miles will now be credited when you reach your destination.

For example, if you have purchased a return fare from London to Sydney via Dubai, you will receive Miles for your outbound journey on arrival in Sydney and Miles for your inbound journey when you return to London
seems to me that the miles credited to your account are kinda delayed, rather than posting after each segment.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I agree. I was a regular Gold elite on BA when they changed tier point earning to a scaled structure based on booking class. Even though I probably would have done okay in the new scheme, I gave up and switched to other airlines with simpler schemes rather than having to worry about micromanaging my tier earnings each time I flew. I get the feeling I'm going to do the same with Emirates.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:18 am

I can still not get my head around the re-qualify for those of us that are GOLD now and already re-qualified for 2010.

I read it as our year end will be 31 Jauanry 2011, and then if we have made the 50K by that daye our next expiry will be February 29, 2012? etc...

Any thoughts or agreement ?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Point to Point miles will be the biggest drawback for me. I do spend a good couple of months stop over (in DXB) sometimes, and will not get my miles until i reach my desitnation.

Now, after reading thru the FAQ, etc, is there any benefit that Gold members would get for upgrad availability, or will it be the same throughout all tiers (other than this Flex / Saver thing they got going on)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:29 am

This does not look good. Link: http://www.skywards.com/MS_Default.aspx?pgID=9
8. How many Miles will I earn on 'Skywards Flex' and 'Skywards Saver' fares?
You will earn 100% of base Miles when you purchase 'Skyward Flex' fares. You will earn 50% of base Miles when you purchase 'Skywards Saver' fares.
Depending on what qualifies for a Skywards Flex fare, I think Emirates may end up losing a lot of restricted class travel to other carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.