Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Official: Changes to Skywards from '10 - it was bound to happen..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official: Changes to Skywards from '10 - it was bound to happen..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
I wonder...

...why so many of you are complaining now! There were endless and pointless discussions about Platinum tiers and others being bored of their Gold card. Well, now I'm pretty sure this is the beginning of the end of Skywards and some of our overambitious posters.
What's clear to me from the information provided by Skywards:
1) Every(!) ticket is a saver ticket except a full flex ticket. BTW: I can't remember when having bought my last ticket without "eligibility restrictions" such as NOT VALID AFTER/NOT VALID BEFORE)...
2) Introduction of zones have never been to the advantage of customers. This is usually the same for earning as well as redemption schemes. Even if there might be a slight increase in zone earnings (!), keep in mind that your ticket will most probably devaluate your trip.
3) The fact that the new FF handbook has not being published and is being kept secret till 2010 is a really bad sign!
Summarizing:
EK seems to have a major "clean-up" in mind. Well, that's their right to do so. Of course, they might get rid of (many) Gold and Silver tiers this way. However, they should keep in mind that those people helped them make their business grow. For me this is quite disappointing and I doubt very much that I'm going to travel that frequently with EK in future.

marc-DE
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by marc-DE
1) Every(!) ticket is a saver ticket except a full flex ticket. BTW: I can't remember when having bought my last ticket without "eligibility restrictions" such as NOT VALID AFTER/NOT VALID BEFORE)...
The description in the FAQs states

A 'Skywards Saver' fare is any Emirates fare with either:
(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc)
(b) a limited sales period ("must purchase by" date)
All fares sold by other airlines, partly flown on Emirates, also fall into this category.

A ticket which has a max stay restriction would not seem to fit within the description given

I would wait until the full details of the changes are available before deciding that the sky is falling in

Mileage earning information should be available within 2 weeks and not need to wait to jan to find out for example

Dave
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:58 pm

Not sharing any optimism

I would really like to share your (Dave) optimism. You might know that the details are usually to be read between the lines. In this particular case:
"(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc)"
etc allows many interpretations such as NOT VALID BEFORE / NOT VALID AFTER. Even more, if you take a closer look at the example given at:
http://www.skywards.com/MS_Default.aspx?pgID=9
Question 7
In my opinion the "etc" has to be interpreted in a worst case scenario like in hotel descriptions: A "sea-side" room is different from a "sea-view" room. The first one has to be directed to the sea only (regardless how far it is away and how many obstacles are in between), while the latter one really has to offer (at least) a (minimum direct) glimpse toward the sea...

marc-DE
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:13 pm

I would really like to share your (Dave) optimism. You might know that the details are usually to be read between the lines. In this particular case:
"(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc)"
etc allows many interpretations such as NOT VALID BEFORE / NOT VALID AFTER. Even more, if you take a closer look at the example given at:
http://www.skywards.com/MS_Default.aspx?pgID=9
Question 7
In my opinion the "etc" has to be interpreted in a worst case scenario like in hotel descriptions: A "sea-side" room is different from a "sea-view" room. The first one has to be directed to the sea only (regardless how far it is away and how many obstacles are in between), while the latter one really has to offer (at least) a (minimum direct) glimpse toward the sea...

marc-DE

However you read it, I cannot see a must travel by date as being an eligability restriction. Anyone can buy the ticket, the purchase is not restricted in any way

One interesting ( to me anyway ) effect of this change is that if someone buys a ticket from A-B-C and back to save money over a B-C return and doesn't fly the final leg of the return journey, then the person will not earn any miles for the return half of the trip. Interesting way to penalise throwaway ticketing

Dave
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
However you read it, I cannot see a must travel by date as being an eligability restriction. Anyone can buy the ticket, the purchase is not restricted in any way
You're right. Everything is pure speculation (so far). However, I'm pretty sure that a worst case scenario will happen...

One interesting ( to me anyway ) effect of this change is that if someone buys a ticket from A-B-C and back to save money over a B-C return and doesn't fly the final leg of the return journey, then the person will not earn any miles for the return half of the trip. Interesting way to penalise throwaway ticketing
That's true! In addition, detour journeys (such as DXB-HKG-BKK without stop-over) will be devaluated.

Dave
marc-DE
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:37 pm

That's true! In addition, detour journeys (such as DXB-HKG-BKK without stop-over) will be devaluated.
May be devalued rather than will I would say. As far as I can see it only says that the miles will be credited at the end of the oneway journey, it hasn't yet qualified whether it will be the mileage based on origin-destination or based on the actual segments taken

Even a Full Fare 1st ticket has a max stay of 1 year, so if a max use restriction was going to cause a fare to be a saver fare, then it means that all fares would be savers

Dave
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I can't understand how EK can announce such huge changes without providing the details. Very unprofessional.

The only positive change I can see is the one-way awards. Which will be useless if we can't earn enough miles to redeem them!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:20 pm

...why so many of you are complaining now! There were endless and pointless discussions about Platinum tiers and others being bored of their Gold card. Well, now I'm pretty sure this is the beginning of the end of Skywards and some of our overambitious posters.
What's clear to me from the information provided by Skywards:
2) Introduction of zones have never been to the advantage of customers. This is usually the same for earning as well as redemption schemes. Even if there might be a slight increase in zone earnings (!), keep in mind that your ticket will most probably devaluate your trip.
3) The fact that the new FF handbook has not being published and is being kept secret till 2010 is a really bad sign!
Summarizing:
EK seems to have a major "clean-up" in mind. Well, that's their right to do so. Of course, they might get rid of (many) Gold and Silver tiers this way. However, they should keep in mind that those people helped them make their business grow. For me this is quite disappointing and I doubt very much that I'm going to travel that frequently with EK in future.

marc-DE
NOT VALID AFTER/NOT VALID BEFORE remains for every ticket EK sells due to IATA regulations for tickets to be valid for no more than 12 months. This does not directly effect how 'flexible' a ticket is in terms of amendments.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors VIP Silver
Originally Posted by eshaq786
I believe the earnings table will follow the same structure as redeeming rewards and be based on zones that are shown for the rewards currently.

I have compiled a table to show the 18 different zones I think EK will implement. These are based on miles required to redeem from dubai as origin point and also divided into regions. I also suspect the miles earnt from each zone will calculated as 10% of miles required to redeem. I have put next to each zone how much miles are earned. As you can see, certain destinations work out better while others do not.

Example 1: Birmingham to Dubai currently earns 3481 miles in economy. Under the new scheme it would earn 4000 miles. ^

Example 2: San Francisc to Dubai currently earns 8088 miles in economy. Under the new scheme it would earn only 7000 miles.

Standalone Home Zone: Dubai

Zone A - 1000 miles: Muscat, Doha, Bahrain

Zone B - 1500 miles: Riyadh, Tehran, Kuwait, Dammam, Jeddah, Sanaa

Zone C - 2500 miles: Peshawar, Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Delhi

Zone P - 7000 miles: Sao Paulo

Zone Q - 7000 miles: New York, Toronto, Houston

Zone R - 7000 miles:Los Angleles, San Francisco

hi..Where did you get this chart from ? If Ahmedabad comes under 2500 mile zone ...While I travel AMD - DXB it gives me 1098 miles basic on economy. So AMD - DXB gets more than double miles starting Jan ? Although there is hardly any differnce to JFK etc.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by xplora
hi..Where did you get this chart from ?
From nowhere!! It is completely fabricated, even if done under the best of intentions.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Dave
Earning on NZ Airpoints when flying Air NZ is also based on journey. They do not treat journey as meaning origin and destination on a ticket. Rather you get credited for points up to each stopover, but the credit can be backed out and replaced by a differing amount if later flight is deemed to be part of the same journey.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Seems confusing to me.
Without even trying to study it in detail my gut feeling is bad. I get the impression that, (when all the other details are out):-

-Its going to be harder to get to the various status levels
-Its going to be more difficult to earn miles with most fares unless you (or your company) buys the more expensive fares
-Its going to be more difficult to get upgrades
-Its going to be more difficult to get flight award redemptions

Perhaps the prosperous and halcyon days for Skywards rewards and upgrades are done.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
The earning table doesn't make sense. Why would they separate Americas into different zones with the same mileage for each destination?

It is highly unlikely that mileage would be calculated based on actual distance between two places, as that wouldn't fit in with the creation of zones (which would be based on distance from Dubai)

It is disappointing to see no added benefits for Skywards members!

On the bright side, there's a 5% discount for booking upgrades online, which wasn't offered earlier.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver, Qantas FF Bronze, Miles and More, Velocity
Originally Posted by ung1
The earning table doesn't make sense. Why would they separate Americas into different zones with the same mileage for each destination?

It is highly unlikely that mileage would be calculated based on actual distance between two places, as that wouldn't fit in with the creation of zones (which would be based on distance from Dubai)

On the bright side, there's a 5% discount for booking upgrades online, which wasn't offered earlier.
There used to be a 10% discount for booking online, in 2007 if I am not wrong.

Yes, you are probably right, zones means miles will not be exactly calculated after distance, but grouped together at round numbers. Which will probably be lower than what you would earn now. I am pessimistic here, because Emirates just want to make profit!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors VIP Silver
Originally Posted by ung1

It is 10% currently, they will be reducing it to 5%..not good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.