Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STPC duration : How long?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:32 am
Original Poster

STPC duration : How long?

What is the length of "permitted" duration in a STPC scenario? I am not talking about the criteria here, which is well known (No available connecting option within 8 hrs on a eligible fare class). Atleast I didn't find anywhere in EK site that STPC has a "within 24 hours" cap.

Suppose there is no flight available for (let's say) 48 hours for various reasons, then would EK provide hotels (and visa assistance) for that duration?

I guess I may have such a scenario. But EK call centers are not very helpful to clarify this. I am getting contradicting information. (YES and NO for more than 24 hours forced stop-over at DXB).

Has anybody availed STPC for more than 24 hours (or 2 nights) break at DXB?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:36 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
I am hardpressed to think of any citypair in the EK network which would require a stop of that duration as they seem to serve most of their destinations daily . Did you have a specific city pair in mind where schedules force a connection of that length ?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
At some point a STPC in their computer becomes a full stopover ($100 after the first one on most advanced fares). There are a number of destinations that do not have daily options on EK routing..so I wonder what happens..

It might make you elig for free STPC as well if you space the two flights to be the minimum based on your departure date.

Rasheed
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies!

Well, there is a scenario in an itin booked using miles (reward).

I now have a confirmed reward booking (AAA-DXB-BBB and return). I want to modify the return leg of the journey, that is move it on to a different date. There is availability on BBB-DXB sector for the postponed date, but it only connects to a DXB-AAA flight which is after 48 hours. That is reward seats are available in that flight, not in umpteen number of flights that depart in between.

Now it is not my problem that there isn't an availability in immediate connections, which I would have taken otherwise. And on reward booking classes you are eligible for STPC. I feel I am entitled to an STPC for these 48 hours.

EK is inconsistent in its answers. EK call center staff say that you should approach your city office and they will book an STPC for the postponed itin. The local office say that there is 24 hour max rule for "paid" tickets, and they "think" the same may apply for reward tickets. EK website states the following:

"Long stopover expenses may also be covered in other cases, such as Skywards redemption bookings, and other rules may apply."

I guess many of us may run into this scenario if EK progressively reduces reward inventory, and we would face crunch due to lack of good connections on reward bookings. I don't want to drop the ball (and risk postponing) till I am clear that I am on my own for those 48 hours. DXB isn't a cheap place either.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:08 pm

Hi I'm new here. Can I ask you which classes are eligible to get a stopover? I'm exploring an option to fly from New York to China via Dubai. There's a really cheap flight for around $850, but there's only a 4 hour stop at Dubai. Is there anyway I can book that but then change the connecting flight at Dubai to leave say a day or two later? I don't need hotel service or anything from Emirates. I'd just like to be able to stop by and visit the city while I'm there.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by stuff726
Hi I'm new here. Can I ask you which classes are eligible to get a stopover? I'm exploring an option to fly from New York to China via Dubai. There's a really cheap flight for around $850, but there's only a 4 hour stop at Dubai. Is there anyway I can book that but then change the connecting flight at Dubai to leave say a day or two later? I don't need hotel service or anything from Emirates. I'd just like to be able to stop by and visit the city while I'm there.
Maybe. Try to do a multi-stop or stopover booking on the web and see if the price changes or not. On most ex-US fares, one stopover in DXB (in total not each direction) is included.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.