Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Does LY Allow Sleeping on the Floor?

Old Sep 18, 20, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

I've been on flights on some airlines where they specificly announce it's forbidden. Anyway, seems a certain pax NET/B did so on a recent Washington-TLV flight.

Looks to me, as artcle notes, that he's right next a full flat F seat (can someone who knows the cabin confirm?). And pretty sure they wouldn't just let someone wander up to his section to take a pic -- so I'm personally seeing this as an attempt to get sympathy that he couldn't have his $150,000 private plane.
Old Sep 18, 20, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Unfortunately not, they don't allow to sleep on the floors. You have to sleep in your seats, not on the floors. FA won't let you to. Sorry!
Old Sep 21, 20, 2:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Red face

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Unfortunately not, they don't allow to sleep on the floors. You have to sleep in your seats, not on the floors. FA won't let you to. Sorry!
I used to sleep on the floor all the time on LY TLV-NYC-TLV, about 25 years ago, in Y - on the upper deck of the 747 in the exit row. Once we were at altitude, I think I was only refused once.
Old Sep 21, 20, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
3+ decades ago, it wasn't that rare to see passengers sleeping on the floor in the economy class cabin area on the floor in front of their seats on long-haul flights departing the US. It used to be one of the most common areas for children to be put to sleep on planes. But nowadays airline FAs definitely seem to be heavy on preventing that from happening even when/where it would be physically possible.

I never saw this allowed on TLV-BOM at least, but that route wasn't around 3+ decades ago.
Old Sep 21, 20, 11:37 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Is this in business or premium economy?

Old Sep 21, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Is this in business or premium economy?

this is First
Old Sep 21, 20, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LY777 View Post
this is First
They must have switched to a 777. I read somewhere that they were going to use a 788, which does not have a first class compartment, for that flight.
Old Sep 21, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
They must have switched to a 777. I read somewhere that they were going to use a 788, which does not have a first class compartment, for that flight.
this is definitely a 777
Old Sep 21, 20, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
this is definitely a 777
It was 4X-ECA.
Old Sep 21, 20, 7:08 pm

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
this is First
It was ECA and it looks to me like itís an illusion and heís actually on 1C when itís completely flat . Look at the armrestl on the right of the pic
Old Sep 21, 20, 11:06 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ly787 View Post
It was ECA and it looks to me like itís an illusion and heís actually on 1C when itís completely flat . Look at the armrestl on the right of the pic
Ha! I think you are right. Look at the bottom of the pillow under the book. Is it common for people to sleep on these beds with their head where the feet are normally?
Old Sep 22, 20, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
Ha! I think you are right. Look at the bottom of the pillow under the book. Is it common for people to sleep on these beds with their head where the feet are normally?
When it can be done with an incline, such sleeping is done by some to try to keep blood flow toward the head better than it would supposedly otherwise be or to try to deal with lower extremity swelling or clot formation/clot-related risk. Donít ask me whether such sleep ritual on a flight makes sense or not, but some people have sleep rituals that can come across as eccentric when examined closely.

On some flights, there have been people sleeping in weird positions in economy class at times too. Things like sleeping in a backward facing position by using the seatback in front of them as a backrest while sleeping. Good luck trying to recline the seat when the passenger behind has your seat as a headboard of sort.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: