Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance while in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:29 am
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel

Colleague is travelling from TLV to AUS for a week. Can anyone suggest a company to buy travel insurance from. Amex Plat covers bags and delays, but more worried about medical and such just in case something goes wrong while here.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Is he Israeli? If so, I highly recommend passportcard.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:13 am
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
One is Israeli and the other is a dual citizen but resides in Israel and does not have US health coverage.

I will check out passportcard, thanks a million!
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Assuming that neither of them is in very bad health they will have no problem in getting travel insurance policies in Israel which will cover trips to the U.S. -- and they would only have to pay for the days that they are out of Israel.\

This insurance would cover all medical costs in the U.S. until the policy holder is in condition to fly back to Israel. The insurance company would pay for the return flight and, when he lands in Israel, his local insurance would take over.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:12 am

The dual citizenship could be an issue - sometimes insurance policies do not allow coverage for foreign citizens in their country of citizenship, even if they also hold Israeli passports.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eyal
The dual citizenship could be an issue - sometimes insurance policies do not allow coverage for foreign citizens in their country of citizenship, even if they also hold Israeli passports.
Can you explain what you mean by this?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:41 am

I know plenty of Israelis who have American Citizenship, live in Israel and use travelers insurance in the US. Nobody cares how the bill gets paid - as long as it’s paid.

HOWEVER, you may have to first pay and then get reimbursed by the insurance ( same as I do while in Israel)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I have never heard of an issue of someone with American citizenship but who lives outside the US using foreign-based travel insurance to get medical coverage in the US. (And same in Israel - I know Israeli citizens who live in the US, and therefore don't have kuppat cholim, who use travel insurance in Israel, either US-based or Israel-based tourist health insurance, with no issues.)

As for travel medical insurance to the US, because bills can be especially high in the US, it's best to look for someone that will pay up front, instead of dealing with reimbursement.
  • Clal (available cheaper from Clalit, Maccabi, and Leumit) - provides local coverage with United Healthcare and $50 co-pay. Pay just the $50 to supplier and that's it. No co-pay if hospitalized
  • Phoenix - has a network of doctors (more in popular tourist areas) that will see you for no co-pay at all. No co-pay for hospitalization
  • Passportcard - they load money onto a "credit card" for you to pay for things. (Note that while there's no co-pay, they can be extremely expensive, and can be harder to use if you have pre-existing conditions.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.