Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T3 lounges state

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
BA claim that the IAA are demanding unreasonable amounts of money for the use of the E lounge. I guess BA aren't the only airline who think that way, which explains why B and C are bursting at the seams.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by mikebg
BA claim that the IAA are demanding unreasonable amounts of money for the use of the E lounge. I guess BA aren't the only airline who think that way, which explains why B and C are bursting at the seams.
I was let into the E lounge on an IZ business class ticket. And I can’t imagine IZ paying more than BA (etc) for lounge use...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Is the E lounge also DAN? (and similar to the others?)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
E lounge is also Dan yes, but somewhat nicer.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by clubman
E lounge is also Dan yes, but somewhat nicer.
The lounge dragon in E allows only C passengers to enter (and not status passengers in Y)
Old May 1, 2019, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Houminer
The lounge dragon in E allows only C passengers to enter (and not status passengers in Y)
How does that work? Whenever I checked in as either a status or front cabin passenger, I was given an invitation by the airline to use the lounges. The dragons never asked to see my ticket, only the invitation and my passport.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gordo6

I was let into the E lounge on an IZ business class ticket. And I can’t imagine IZ paying more than BA (etc) for lounge use...
Could it be that BA takes into account the actual quality of this lounge, and their evaluation is value based and not cost-based?
Old May 2, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by gordo6

I didn't know IZ have business class at all
Old May 2, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
I didn't know IZ have business class at all
They do, to BKK
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Is the Dan+ closed for good now or will they reopen?
Old May 10, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I don't know if there are that many airports with this many Star Alliance flights and neither a Star Alliance carrier-operated or alliance-operated lounge.

A bit of an imperfect science, but TLV handled about 23 million passengers last year. Taking a look at the Wikipedia list of Europe's busiest airports, numbers 1-27 (Heathrow to Athens) processed more passengers than TLV in 2018.

Of these 27, only ten don't have a Star alliance or carrier-operated lounge: Madrid, Barcelona, London-Gatwick, Moscow-SVO, Paris-Orly, Dublin, Moscow-DME, Palma de Mallorca, Manchester, and London-Stansted. Star Alliance carriers certainly have more capacity out of TLV than the majority of these airports, besides perhaps MAD or BCN (although without doing the math, I think TLV might have more Star Alliance passengers departing on an average day).

Of course, EU airports split departures into Schengen and non-Schengen, so in some cases not all Star Alliance passengers would have access to member- or alliance-operated lounges. The unique thing about TLV is that nearly all passengers would have access.

It's likely just a case of high operating costs in Israel and an airport operator that has an overly-close relationship with an incumbent lounge provider... a real shame.
In the months Jan-April 2019, Star Alliance carriers have carried a total of aprox 1.4mn pax, El Al has carried 1.6mn pax including pax which travel via T1. So it's fair to assume that the total Star pax in T3 and LY pax in T3 are fairly closely matched. Strengthening the Star Alliance brand in Israel could have definite impact in a market where the alliance concept is less familiar (with El Al not being in an alliance), and with the growing presence of these airlines and expectation/possibility of Singapore and ANA to enter, and growth from TAP, Air India, and others, it seems like it could be a smart business and branding move. For sure a good selling point that will quickly be appreciated by pax of these airlines would be a superior lounge experience in TLV.
flyerby likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:59 am

So I thought I hit the jackpot today when I approached the E lounge (flying C) and its door was open. Not meant to be. The nice lady at the desk was very clear: the lounge is for LATAM C customers only. So yes: of the three lounges in TLV, one is closed for Shabbat and another is for a single airline only.

I double checked in the C lounge. Indeed, it seems that LATAM was the only airline willing to pay Dan (or Rashat? not sure) for the E concourse lounge. On the other hand, Rashat's contract with Dan requires that the lounge be open all day, so it's open, there's an agent at the desk, and it's kept empty.

As mentioned, B was closed and C was overcrowded, and as usual, the restrooms were a disgrace. Oh, and the lousy Grants in the hidden cabinet was downgraded to JW red.

First world troubles, for sure, but still annoying. Especially as this is so Israel.

Shuly
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Is there anything that would help? If frequent flyers all complained to the airlines about the state of the lounges? Could we encourage that here?

I have stopped using them in TLV in general (I don't usually have access to LY). Recently flew with my grandson - he couldn't believe the difference between Dan lounge and LH Senator lounge in Munich.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Is there anything that would help? If frequent flyers all complained to the airlines about the state of the lounges? Could we encourage that here?

I have stopped using them in TLV in general (I don't usually have access to LY). Recently flew with my grandson - he couldn't believe the difference between Dan lounge and LH Senator lounge in Munich.
I think that complaining has a limited effect. That being said if frequent J flyers on BA, LH, UA would write letters to the respective companies, complaining and suggesting less frequent purchase of J tickets - that can potentially have some effect, at least creating awareness that there is a problem in TLV.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BATLV
I think that complaining has a limited effect. That being said if frequent J flyers on BA, LH, UA would write letters to the respective companies, complaining and suggesting less frequent purchase of J tickets - that can potentially have some effect, at least creating awareness that there is a problem in TLV.
I know that at least BA are seriously aware of the lounge problems at TLV, and they have had a good deal of serious discussions with the airport authorities about this issue. However, in true Israeli fashion, the airport authorities have decided that the "new" E lounge deserves a serious premium over the other lounges and BA say that the price they are demanding is extortionate. I think that BA have plenty of experience in other airports worldwide so that they may be relied on when they claim a price is extortionate or not. I suspect that closing the Dan+ was designed to pressure BA (and others) to pay the extra for the 'E' lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.