Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EL AL Religious disaster redux

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
"טיסת השבת": אל על תפצה את 400 הנוסעים -"Shabbat Flight" - EL AL Will Compensate 400 Passengers (Ynet - HEBREW)

According to a notification by Channel 2 News, they will all receive a free r/t flight to anywhere in Europe. My assumption is this will be on top of the standard requirement under Israeli Aviation Services Law ("Tibi Law").
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by joshwex90
"טיסת השבת": אל על תפצה את 400 הנוסעים -"Shabbat Flight" - EL AL Will Compensate 400 Passengers (Ynet - HEBREW)

According to a notification by Channel 2 News, they will all receive a free r/t flight to anywhere in Europe. My assumption is this will be on top of the standard requirement under Israeli Aviation Services Law ("Tibi Law").
Also here:
https://www.0404.co.il/?p=310760

You can knock Elal all you want but they stepped up and are awarding a free ticket to Europe even if you aren't loud and a complainer. Obviously someone in mgmt realized the debacle and have done the right thing. Kudos to Elal for doing the right thing.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Also here:

You can knock Elal all you want but they stepped up and are awarding a free ticket to Europe even if you aren't loud and a complainer. Obviously someone in mgmt realized the debacle and have done the right thing. Kudos to Elal for doing the right thing.
I would knock LY for the initial incident and initial response. The free ticket, assuming it is indeed on top of Tibi Law compensation, is indeed a nice good-will gesture (though I might have looked for them to not limit it to Europe, especially considering the flight originated in NY and good chance there were tourists on the flight, from the USA, who will have little use for an Israel-Europe-Israel flight).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Also here:

To be quite honest, EL AL are taking advantage of the passengers. You can be quite sure that they will be offered a free flight to Europe [but not at a peak period] in economy [even if they had been on a First Class ticket on the 002]. EL AL offered no apology for their crews (assuming it was not the company itself) spreading blame for the incident on the "chareidim". They did not apologise for accusing them of violence (they just said they had never accused anyone of violence, which is a lie). They have not mentioned that the pilot is to be disciplined for breach of safety regulations and for lying to the passengers. They have not admitted that they made a series of very major mistakes - instead they said their employees acted in an exemplary fashion. In short, they have done NOTHING that had been asked of them, but Sorotzkin and Co have bought the whole package. Unbelievable!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikebg
To be quite honest, EL AL are taking advantage of the passengers. You can be quite sure that they will be offered a free flight to Europe [but not at a peak period] in economy [even if they had been on a First Class ticket on the 002]. EL AL offered no apology for their crews (assuming it was not the company itself) spreading blame for the incident on the "chareidim". They did not apologise for accusing them of violence (they just said they had never accused anyone of violence, which is a lie). They have not mentioned that the pilot is to be disciplined for breach of safety regulations and for lying to the passengers. They have not admitted that they made a series of very major mistakes - instead they said their employees acted in an exemplary fashion. In short, they have done NOTHING that had been asked of them, but Sorotzkin and Co have bought the whole package. Unbelievable!
But the crew did exactly what LY wanted and cared about, Making sure the plane makes it back to TLV so it can be used for Sat nights flight, and curtail the lose of $$$ to its best ability.

I havent seen the T&Cs of the free tkt but if wouldnt surprise me to find its highly controlled and not simply a use when you want to basis. This may work for an Israeli living in Israel, but its worthless for anyone not living in Israel, and Im sure a fair # of the passengers dont live in Israel that were on that 002
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
My assumption is this will be on top of the standard requirement under Israeli Aviation Services Law ("Tibi Law").
I doubt that compensation is due under the Israeli Aviation Services Law.
Severe weather conditions constitute special circumstances under Aviation Services Law

The court decided that the above circumstances were the result of severe weather conditions and could therefore be considered special circumstances beyond the operator's control. The court referred to two small claims court judgments in which it was decided that severe weather conditions can be considered as special circumstances.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Calls for FAA investigation due to saftey breach of taking off with cabin not prepared and secured.

???? ????: ?????? ?????? ????? ?-FAA - ???? - ????? ????"? - ????? ?????
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I doubt that compensation is due under the Israeli Aviation Services Law.
And that likely would be thrown out considering flights that left from the same terminal took off on time. The delay was based on failure of crew to arrive in time. It was also a decision, not mandated by law, that LY divert to ATH for Shabbat.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
And that likely would be thrown out considering flights that left from the same terminal took off on time. The delay was based on failure of crew to arrive in time. It was also a decision, not mandated by law, that LY divert to ATH for Shabbat.
The crew did not arrive at the airport on time due to severe weather conditions.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
The crew did not arrive at the airport on time due to severe weather conditions.
I'm aware of their claim but considering other flights had their crews arrive on time and the passengers arrived on time, and some of the crew managed to arrive on time, the burden of proof will be on LY to prove to the court why this would qualify for an exemption.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:00 pm
Suspended

I'm aware of their claim but considering other flights had their crews arrive on time and the passengers arrived on time, and some of the crew managed to arrive on time, the burden of proof will be on LY to prove to the court why this would qualify for an exemption.
Then the party bringing the suit better have 100% proof that other crews staying in Manhattan arrived on time and didnt delayed their flights from taking off. I have no idea where they can get such proof
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Then the party bringing the suit better have 100% proof that other crews staying in Manhattan arrived on time and didnt delayed their flights from taking off. I have no idea where they can get such proof
Not hard to get histories of when other flights from the same terminal on the same day were scheduled to take off and when they actually took off.

Last edited by joshwex90; Dec 1, 2018 at 9:42 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craz
The commercially-scheduled common carrier flight departure logs from the airport are publicly-accessible information. That would go toward showing that a bunch of non-US airlines' (non-US) flight crews made it to the airport in time in such a way as not to delay that flight. Then there is the issue of getting it confirmed at which Manhattan hotels one or more of the relevant flight crews stayed. The airline crews' hotel stay information is out there too -- even as some parties seem to dislike posts about which hotels are used by which foreign airline crews -- but getting confirmation of that from the relevant airlines may be a frustrating/frustrated exercise.

It's really not hard to demonstrate that a bunch of non-US airlines' flight crews were able to show up at the airport on time enough not to have as excessive a delay as this LY flight on the given date.
jblueflyer likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP

Not heard to get histories of when other flights from the same terminal on the same day were scheduled to take off and when they actually took off.
I think you meant hard, but that aside, Im not sure if this *proof* will be accepted unchallenged. LY can always say that their crew take a different route or have extra screening or follow some additional security measures (this is likely the case in most countries) that do not apply to other carriers and hence the delay.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Also here:

TLV-Europe tickets won't do much good for NY-originating pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.