Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EL AL Religious disaster redux

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Being told to shack up with same sex strangers by an airline trying to accommodate displaced passengers when

(a) the airline’s choice for hotel/hotels are sold out; and/or
(b) rooms at a negotiated rate in the applicable location are fully drawn down

isn’t unique to just this incident; nor is it unique to LY. I’ve seen it done repeatedly over the years and by multiple airlines from the EMEA region.

Not news to me, but that seems to not answer the asked question:

“Aren’t the majority of TLV-bound passengers flying on an average Thursday Jewish regardless of airline?”

I would be surprised if there was no survey data about this kind of question when it comes to Thursday departures to TLV (which would mean using Thursday or Friday arrivals data on the whole).
The few times I flew on a Thurs afternoon was when Yom Kippur fell out on Tues night/Weds and UA 84 was my only way (LY too) to get there before the Hag of Succos started which was on Sun night. Those times the flights were almost all Jewish and religious. But as I said Ive flown when Id say the majority were non Jewish tour groups, so I will assume that at times that can be a Thurs as well. I also believe most LCCs maybe even LY inbounding from Eastern Europe will have the majority being non-Jews and thats probably any day

From the US on Thurs we are talking about a couple of flights LY from JFK, LY from EWR and UA from EWR. DL flys at night only so no religious Jews will be on that Thurs night flight. I think UA SFO-TLV arrives at night as well

Heading over next week myself, wanted to go Thurs via Europe but the best was via ZRH that arrives 2:35pm, with Shabbos being 4:20 no way to get to Jerusalem, so Weds it is
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I would imagine strangers shared rooms because they didn't want to go off by themselves- although apparently a small group did. Think about it- to be alone for Shabbat, with potentially nothing. Sharing a room isn't the end of the world.
I would tend to agree with you if there are two single beds - but the hotel has numerous rooms with a single queen size bed:
https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel...rt/index.shtml
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

I was not debating religion so I don’t accept the religious debate characterization as a good excuse to try to shut me down on my saying that I am no fan of adults engaging in discrimination against airlines or flight crew members based on the prejudicial assumptions about the religious identity and any related religious duties of other adults, in this case of this airline and flight’s pilot/flight crew members who are their own keepers of their own identity.

Thank you for answering the question and enabling a debate on what is life/health-saving. Some may say that since resources are limited and money is fungible, commercially-appropriate decisions to legally maximize returns on asset (read: plane) use may well be a life/health-maximizing decision and would be the same regardless of the religious identity of flight crew members, a majority of the airline’s owners, and/or airline C-suite management.

I prefer that LY should not be held to a different, more prejudicial standard than other airlines serving TLV; but some others quite clearly see it differently.

I would prefer that LY should be viewed as a normal carrier, but it’s not being treated by all as such. And thus LY is caught in some kind of culture war where it can’t be all things to all people anymore than any non-Israeli carrier and yet pays an extra price in a way for its Israeli affiliation — whether dealing with Israelis or not.

I am no big fan of LY, and I am a critic of what LY did in this flight’s circumstance. But I am also a critic of LY being held to a different standard and criticism because of its Israeli identity and/or any of its Jewish affiliation. Maybe it’s long overdue for LY to start maximizing the use of its planes on all days of the week, and just get on with saying they are just a commercial airline trying to legally maximize the returns on their assets? But even that wouldn’t solve this kind of situation, but at least then LY would have a more level playing field in the space to commercially compete and put some downward pressure on airfares overall.
No one views the economic decision of maximizing any kind of "return on asset" as saving a life. You can drive in your car on Shabbat to get to the hospital because someone is sick and needs immediate medical attention. You can drive your car if somehow you got stuck in an extremely dangerous area where walking on foot is a hazard to your life. You cannot keep driving your car on Shabbat just to avoid leaving it somewhere where it'll likely be damaged/stolen.

Originally Posted by hnussbacher
The best account from the Chabad Rabbi standpoint in Athens:
https://hamodia.com/2018/11/20/shabb...s-150-friends/

One interesting tidbit that I spotted in the article is that the hotel ran out of rooms and the people had to "shack up" with strangers.
It's being referred to as "Unity Shabbat, sponsored by EL AL"
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
No one views the economic decision of maximizing any kind of "return on asset" as saving a life.
That’s clearly not true, as maximizing many kinds of returns on assets helps to directly or indirectly save lives and to improve the quality of life for those facing medical problems.

I would rather see LY fleet utilization be improved by more full week operations as that would free up assets or help toward generating/preserving income that can do more good than spoilage of a sort.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 22, 2018 at 5:55 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s clearly not true, as maximizing many kinds of returns on assets helps to directly or indirectly save lives and to improve the quality of life for those facing medical problems.

I would rather see LY fleet utilization be improved by more full week operations as that would free up assets or help toward generating/preserving income that can do more good than spoilage of a sort.
Thank you Rabbi GUWonder but as I said before, this isn't a forum to debate religious law. Feel free to do so elsewhere. Here, we can only base it on facts and the fact is that not a single religious Jew would make such an argument. EL AL didn't even make such a claim. You are welcome to want to see LY fly on Shabbat. As of now, they don't, and this story is based on the fact that they don't.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Thank you Rabbi GUWonder but as I said before, this isn't a forum to debate religious law. Feel free to do so elsewhere. Here, we can only base it on facts and the fact is that not a single religious Jew would make such an argument. EL AL didn't even make such a claim. You are welcome to want to see LY fly on Shabbat. As of now, they don't, and this story is based on the fact that they don't.
I’m not discussing religious law but you sure seem to be trying. Thank you for the honorific anyway.

I’m discussing double standards being applied to LY, LY’s potential sub-optimum fleet utilization due to the double standard applied to LY, the consequences of such double standard, and my distaste for such inconsistent standards as the sort with which I took issue earlier.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except you're trying to justify LY flying on Shabbat by claiming it would be considered "life-saving," and therefore permitted under Jewish law. That is discussing religious law.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

I’m not discussing religious law but you sure seem to be trying. Thank you for the honorific anyway.

I’m discussing double standards being applied to LY, LY’s potential sub-optimum fleet utilization due to the double standard applied to LY, the consequences of such double standard, and my distaste for such inconsistent standards as the sort with which I took issue earlier.
Well if LY should or shouldnt fly on Shabbos is not what this thread is about. Feel free to start a new thread under that title

Fact is as is LY is not suppose to be operating its flights on Shabbos, if I like it or not and if you like it or not.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
Any further discussion which doesn't discuss the facts of what happened with these flights will simply be deleted at OT. We have forums in FlyerTalk for discussion and debate of religious topics. Should you want to start a thread in this forum around the merits of EL AL's policy of not flying on Shabbat, that would be permitted in a dedicated thread. But not in this thread. Please get back to the topic of specifically what happened with these flights and the passengers on them.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL Forum
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Elal given ultimatum until tonight to apologise for false shaming and lies

http://www.bhol.co.il/news/956115
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those familiar with her work, Racheli Rotner called EL AL, nervous about her flight to Paris landing on Shabbat

In Hebrew only and on Facebook

Last edited by joshwex90; Nov 25, 2018 at 3:13 am
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Brilliant
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:34 am

Does the parachute need to touch ground before Shabbat? Will this be a new purpose of the exit row?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:29 am
Suspended

Personally I dont get the whole thing with demanding an acceptable Apology from LY

If it was me Id rather work on making sure that 1- if a flight takes off and they know it wont make it to TLV before Shabbos then it must be deverted to a city where they will land say 1 hour before candle lighting, so that everyone can make it to a hotel. The 1st time they went to ATH this would have meant landing say in London. But its alot cheaper for LY to go to ATH

2- they should already have a list of caterers,restaurants and Chabad places where they can order and have food brought to where the passengers will be staying, as well as hotels that are closest to the airport or if possible a Chabad house or local Shule

3- of cause w/o saying before taking off let the passengers know that the plane will making a stop and all pasengers will get off those who want to still fly and arrive in on Israel on Shabbos there will be a charter plane to fly you.

About going back to the gate Yes but ONLY if it wouldnt have any impact on where the plane will be stopping, eg if they go back to the gate and remove the bags then most likely they wont arrive into London ( I think closest city to NA where they can get food etc) till < 1 hr before Shabbos, in that case there wont be any going back to the gate!

Last edited by craz; Nov 25, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ELAL
Elal given ultimatum until tonight to apologise for false shaming and lies

??? ?????? ?????????? ????"?: ????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? - ????? ??????? - ?????? - ????? ?????
Well it seems theres a pic of his card cut in 2, 1 problem unless LY has a card like no one else does,Id say he cut up a LY plat luggage tag, since it has a hole on the right side where Id slip thru the thingy to attach it to my bag. So either he kept his Plat Card or lost it

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news...reporters.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.