Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Matmid changes as of October 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...

What a shame... Elal is really moving toward being a low cost company.
Some really bad changes for GL, PL or even TP...
When you buy cheapest economy fares (lite) :
No bag allowance (not even flycard premium 50% off on first luggage),
No free advanced seat selection,
No economy plus seating (except PL and TPL), not even economy plus for Classic fares if GL !
What is the point of these cards if you only get advantages when flying full fare or business class?! (when you already get all benefits because you paid for it !!)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Changes to Matmid (major devaluation)

https://www.elal.com/he/FrequentFlye...s/default.aspx

Just got an e-mail about changes to Matmid and it ain't pretty. They've lost their minds. I think I'll pretty much be abandoning the program, my Fly Card Premium, and loyalty to the airline altogether after this.

An award flight to Larnaca in economy for 150 points + $60 cash + taxes? No thanks.. I'll stick with the 10 euro Ryan Air flights, or one of the 6 other carriers that service that destination at bargain basement rates.

And UP flights will still be departing from T1, so no King David Lounge for elites or paying business class passengers. But wait a minute... El Al in all its kind generosity has afforded these top elites the right to pay their way into lounges abroad on the return leg! See below:
  • בהמשך העברת פעילות מותג UP לאל על ​, הטיסות ליעדים: ברלין, בודפשט, פראג, קייב ולרנקה, ימשיכו לפעול במסלול נוסע מלא, דרך טרמינל 1. על כן, לא יתאפשר אירוח בטרקלין המלך דוד. ​
  • חברי מועדון הנוסע המתמיד במעמד טופ פלטינה, פלטינה, זהב ונלווים יוכלו להתארח בטרקליני חו"ל ביעדי: ברלין, בודפשט, קייב, פראג ולרנקה, בתוספת תשלום, כפי שנהוג כיום ביעדים אלו​.​​
Golds now have to pay for preferred/econ. plus seats to Europe, although still free for long-hauls.

Last edited by moe8555; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: forgot
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Ruben5b
What a shame... Elal is really moving toward being a low cost company.
Some really bad changes for GL, PL or even TP...
When you buy cheapest economy fares (lite) :
No bag allowance (not even flycard premium 50% off on first luggage),
No free advanced seat selection,
No economy plus seating (except PL and TPL), not even economy plus for Classic fares if GL !
What is the point of these cards if you only get advantages when flying full fare or business class?! (when you already get all benefits because you paid for it !!)
But yes, this is a true shame and I'd even go so far as to call it a slap in the face... unless they really surprise us with slashed fares.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 17, 2018 at 5:55 pm Reason: Post merger cleanup
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:32 am

I just read it too. Right now it is only for European flights. I wonder how long it will take until it also affects flights to the US. I see it is the beginning of a slippery continuum. Someone then will need to remind me, why I shouldn't be flying Delta. JFK-TLV.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
In true ElAl style, they haven't bothered to proof read before publishing the new redemption information online.

Different rates on the Hebrew page to the English one, and some rates on showing more expensive on the FlyCard rates than the regular rates.

Total mess!!!!

Hebrew:
http://www.flyup.com/he/FrequentFlye...oint-0118.aspx

English
http://www.flyup.com/en/FrequentFlye...oint-0118.aspx
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I don't understand why the flights will still be operating out of T1 if they are meant to be fully LY operated flights? And then I'm guessing no Biz class either?

The whole thing is a joke.
entropy likes this.

Last edited by clubman; Jan 17, 2018 at 9:01 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
wait are they actually planning on refitting the planes ?

I'm impressed with how complicated an airline w/38 aircraft can be: 3 brands, one of which has 2 spellings, different award amounts for virtually any destination.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
wait are they actually planning on refitting the planes?
I wouldn't be surprised if not.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'm so lost - if they still fly out of T1, there's no lounge access, there's only paid lounge access on return, and it still operates as an LCC, how is this not UP?

And how exactly does LY think a TPL will respond to being forced to pay for checked luggage?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
I still think the real problem is the insane pricing.
I tried to price them recently on a few selected dates ->
TLV->HKG-on biz - CX around 3k LY 6K!!!!! this is insanity
TLV->X->LAS on biz - BA around 3.2K (with AA TATL with their amazing C product) LY.... 6K!!!!!

I did not try the new C on LY but even if it as good as the new C on CX or AA the price difference is a joke.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
As a GL my two real benefits were lounge and preferred seats. This is bad.
hnussbacher likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
wait are they actually planning on refitting the planes ?
Apparently they are but very slowly. At first the planes will operate in the same configuration as they did with UP, offering rows 21-27 as preferred seats.
Later on seats will be replaced with space saver ones, and business class will be added, but not before 2020...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
This is very bad. I don't like it at all. Should we sign a petitions? Can you make one for me?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...

Originally Posted by N830MH
This is very bad. I don't like it at all. Should we sign a petitions? Can you make one for me?
we should try even if I believe there will be nothing to do.

But having plat and tpl pay for FIRST luggage in lite fares and no seat selection for gold is a crazy move ! No explanation at all. They want to squeeze last dollars to their top flyers when they sometimes buy lite fares.

anyone who could create a petition and bring it to Elal?

These change will bring them a few dollars but will certainly send some top flyers to other companies
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
I sent an angry mail to "customer retention" שימור לקוחות [email protected]
On the next day someone very nice called me and tried to explain that the changes are not so bad. We agreed to disagree.
Maybe everyone should email and tell them how bad this is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.