Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport reader at TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Passport reader at TLV

Departed TLV Thursday evening and joined queue for foreign passports. They were looking at people's passports in the queues on the right hand side and direcing those with electronic passports to machines at the right of the hall for self-service processing. The machines were marked "Israeli Passports" so never noticed them before. Does anyone know if these machines are now for general use on exit. Passport hall was quite quiet yesterday.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
There are 2 sets of machines in the hall: the older ones for reading biometric cards and handprints and the newer ones. The older ones will be phased out and likely can't be used by foreign passport holders, as you must get a special card to use them.

The newer ones are for all biometric Israeli e-passports. I know they would like them to be eventually used by other places, such as Global Entry passport holders, but no agreement has yet been struck. They require a fingerprint scan, so unless Israel has access to that data (which for most American passports, even the USA doesn't have access to,) I don't see how this is usable by foreigners.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Nothing for 2014, at least Silver for 2015)
A friend related the same experience. He traveled the first week of July, and he said that now Israel allows all electronic passports (Israeli and foreign) to use the machines.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by cornfrontation
A friend related the same experience. He traveled the first week of July, and he said that now Israel allows all electronic passports (Israeli and foreign) to use the machines.
Meaning a USA e-passport could use the Kiosks?? Doesn't sound right to me, but that is huge if yes -- if true I might need to get a new passport (as I'm one of the last people with the non-biometric passport)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Nothing for 2014, at least Silver for 2015)
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Meaning a USA e-passport could use the Kiosks?? Doesn't sound right to me, but that is huge if yes -- if true I might need to get a new passport (as I'm one of the last people with the non-biometric passport)
This is what my friend related. I do not know if this is a permanent thing, or if they just allow it during slow times, as OP described. I asked if it is just for GE, but he said that has nothing to do with that. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by cornfrontation
This is what my friend related. I do not know if this is a permanent thing, or if they just allow it during slow times, as OP described. I asked if it is just for GE, but he said that has nothing to do with that. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
parents are on their way back -- I will ask them to check. They have Israeli Passport and Card so always use the kiosks
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spoke to another friend from the airport, and he hasn't heard of anything like that. It definitely doesn't sound right, as the kiosk is required to identify you biometrically via fingerprint and facial recognition. How could it do that with a foreign passport?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough in the original post. The machine I was told to use was just like those at European passport arrivals at LHR where it reads your passport and, I think, checks your face against the passport photo. There were the same footprints marked on the floor for you to stand on so that you are in the correct position. I have also used the same machine for departures at AMS. There was no biometric input just face recognition. There were two machines at the right hand side of the passport hall and the sign above each said "Israeli Passports", I think, in ivrit.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But those machines also check fingerprint. In the USA, most passport holders don't submit fingerprints when they get their passport - only Trusted Travelers, so that's why I'm confused.

(Side technical question: In places like the USA, how do they transmit the biometric data, if the photograph is a regular passport picture taken?)
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:39 pm

Anyone have an update to Biometric Machines in Israel? When I last came back, there was an agent telling foreigners with biometric passports use the kiosk. In the departure passport control room it was all the way on the right.

Couldn't try because I don't have a biometric passport...but wondering if anyone knows if this is permanent or was some kind of trial (didn't see any machines on arrival)
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: LY Silver, BA Silver, VS Silver, EK Silver
Just used it with UK (EU) Electronic Passport. Can be used for all passports with the e sign on it
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by TLVFred
Just used it with UK (EU) Electronic Passport. Can be used for all passports with the e sign on it
My friend had a French passport, with the e-passport sign on it, but the kiosk could not read his passport - the attendant there said it happens with many French passports.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by TLVFred
Did they have the machines on entry too?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
anyone used a US or Canadian passport in those?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by entropy
anyone used a US or Canadian passport in those?
Worked fine for me on exit three weeks ago with a US passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.