Wiki Posts
Search

EasyJet Baggage questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*50K MM
EasyJet Baggage questions

On Feb 3rd I'm flying from Nice, France to Paris to meet up with my wife for a 2 week vacation after a business trip in Monte-Carlo. Because I want to arrive into Paris roughly the same time as my wife I had to book a flight on EasyJet. None of the other carriers had flights early in the morning.

As I'll be coming off a business trip I will have 2 suitcases, a laptop case and camera bag. I know the checked baggage weight and number limits, but had a couple other questions:

1. On the website it says you are allowed 1 piece of carry on. I have two, but both fit into the size limit of the one they do allow. I am not keen on the prospect of checking a camera bag with over $4000 worth of camera gear or my laptop bag. Does anyone know how the handle this? Will they let me carry on both?

2. I suspect I will fit into the overall checked baggage weight restrictions, but in the event I go over (I will be on the road for 3 weeks afterall), will they just charge for the extra weight or will they simply not allow me to fly?

I tried to call easyjet, and had to pay for the privelege, but their system hung up on me! Nice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by jmottle
1. On the website it says you are allowed 1 piece of carry on. I have two, but both fit into the size limit of the one they do allow. I am not keen on the prospect of checking a camera bag with over $4000 worth of camera gear or my laptop bag. Does anyone know how the handle this? Will they let me carry on both?
Can you get a carry-on that fits both of these within it? However, I am a bit suspicious that EasyJet is more stringent than their supposed carry-on limits allow. That's been my experience twice - once was during the August liquids debacle so that's arguable, and the other I didn't debate about because I just checked the item.

2. I suspect I will fit into the overall checked baggage weight restrictions, but in the event I go over (I will be on the road for 3 weeks afterall), will they just charge for the extra weight or will they simply not allow me to fly?
You can pay for the excess amount, up to a specified weight. 50 pounds comes to mind, but that is probably not it, because that's not a metric measure. (Maybe the amount is 22 kg, which is about 48.5 pounds).
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*50K MM
Originally Posted by WillTravel
Can you get a carry-on that fits both of these within it?
Unfourtunately I wouldn't The carry on would be much too big then.

Originally Posted by WillTravel
You can pay for the excess amount, up to a specified weight. 50 pounds comes to mind, but that is probably not it, because that's not a metric measure. (Maybe the amount is 22 kg, which is about 48.5 pounds).
There is a 110lb max. for all luggage but the free one piece of luggage has a max of 44lbs. After that you can pay 7.50 Euro per KG. up to a maximum of 70lbs. While I should be able to divide up the weight between my two pieces of luggage, I wonder what happpens if you go over. Maybe they consider it freight and don't allow it. I'm starting to regret booking with them already.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:51 am

Unfourtunately I wouldn't The carry on would be much too big then.
There is a 110lb max. for all luggage but the free one piece of luggage has a max of 44lbs. After that you can pay 7.50 Euro per KG. up to a maximum of 70lbs. While I should be able to divide up the weight between my two pieces of luggage, I wonder what happpens if you go over. Maybe they consider it freight and don't allow it. I'm starting to regret booking with them already.
You could use the services of an excess baggage courier between Nice-Paris. I can't recommend one in France but here's a website to start with
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None of the other carriers had flights early in the morning.
Have you considered the TGV??
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We flew EasyJet last March roundtrip between GVA and DTM. They will weight the bags you check in. They will charge you for extra weight. As for carryons, you should be ok with a camera bag and a piece of carry-on luggage. I carried a tennis bag and a carry-on and they were fine with it.

The only pain about Easyjet is that they seat passengers in the same cattlecar fashion as Southwest. Still if you have gotten a great fare, it's worth it. The flights themselves were quite pleasant.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
We flew EasyJet last March roundtrip between GVA and DTM. They will weight the bags you check in. They will charge you for extra weight. As for carryons, you should be ok with a camera bag and a piece of carry-on luggage. I carried a tennis bag and a carry-on and they were fine with it.

The only pain about Easyjet is that they seat passengers in the same cattlecar fashion as Southwest. Still if you have gotten a great fare, it's worth it. The flights themselves were quite pleasant.
I flew them last summer, they are very strict with weight, one bag; and they had people who had carry-ons place them in this metal measuring device, much smaller than normal carry-on size if you ask me. There were a lot of people pretty mad about that, they had just started using the device, this was last July. And it was about 48 pound limit for one check in bag. Maybe you could wear a couple of layers of clothes! Or just suck it up and pay the extra fees, hey your'e on vacation and you saved a bundle on the flight, don't let it get you down! Have fun
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:10 pm

Carry-on: You should be fine with the camera bag and another bag.

Other baggage: Once you understood that there are two different kinds of charges, it's quite simple. They charge for every kg above 20kg and for every bag above the free one. In detail:
  • You are allowed to bring one bag with a maximum of 20kg for free
  • You can bring as many bags as you want, but you have to pay 15 for each piece (one is free). You can buy extra bags online at the time of booking for only 7.5 for each.
  • You can bring up to 50kg in total, but you have to pay 7.50 for each kg above the 20kg limit. And - as always - one bag mustn't weight more than 32kg

So let's make some examples to illustrate that :
You will have 2 bags with a total weight of 29kg: You will have to pay 15 (for the 2nd bag) and 9x 7.50 for the excess baggage
You will have 4 bags with a total weight of 49kg: You will have to pay 3x 15 and 29x 7.5 (no bag heavier than 32kg)
You will have 2 bags with a total weight of 19kg: You will have to pay 15 (online at the time of booking: 7.5)
You will have 1 bag with a total weight of 27kg: You will have to pay 7x 7.5
You will have 1 bag with a total weight of 19kg: You won't have to pay extra

To sum up: As long as you have not more than 50kg, you will be charged, but allowed to fly! And if the flight isn't sold out, they will also accept 200kg (180x 7 plus charges for additional bags)
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LXboy
Carry-on: You should be fine with the camera bag and another bag.
Oh no you wont! It is nothing to do with Easyjet either.

It is a BAA UK airport restriction. Only one piece of hand luggage through airport security both from landside as well as through transit. If you cannot get your stuff into one bag, you will be sent back to check-in one item.

Rules have been in since autumn after the August terrorist scare at LHR
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Oh no you wont! It is nothing to do with Easyjet either.

It is a BAA UK airport restriction. Only one piece of hand luggage through airport security both from landside as well as through transit. If you cannot get your stuff into one bag, you will be sent back to check-in one item.
You're right, I would agree with you if the OP is flying out of the UK! But the OP is flying Nice - Paris, so no BAA involved! Therefore it should not be a problem, as long as the limited liquid thing is respected. I flew Nice - Geneva with Easyjet in late January, and it wasn't a problem at all to bring my backpack and an additional camera bag.

The liquid ban is enforced all over the EU (+CH, N etc), but not the "one bag carry-on only"!
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:43 pm

I like easyjet, it was a good flight for a good price.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Oops ! Sorry.

Missed the fact that it was not a UK departure. Did not realise that Easyjet did non-UK route
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Oops ! Sorry.

Missed the fact that it was not a UK departure. Did not realise that Easyjet did non-UK route
and it's not BAA's fault either, the one bag rule was the UK governments idea, we're competing with the US to see who can get the stupid rules in first.

BAA may not be brilliant but let's not blame them for things that aren't their fault. The governments rules make life bad when flying from non-BAA airports too, checkin at LCY takes much longer now as people who used to just print boarding passes at home now have to queue to drop off luggage. If it was a BAA rule I could then happily avoid it at LCY.

Anyway, that was drifting very off topic, basically the best advice for hand luggage is to make sure you check your airports website before travelling in case the rules have changed for some reason.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:40 am
Suspended

why do you feel they should make an exception for you ? you obviously read the rules and posted on here looking for a blessing to get away for what everyone else has to pay for, cant see how you cant get laptop and camera stuff into one bag and you must need one hell of a lot of clothes if you need more than 20kg of checked luggage for a biz trip
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by LXboy
The liquid ban is enforced all over the EU (+CH, N etc), but not the "one bag carry-on only"!
The one bag rule is going EU wide - but remember it only applies as you go through security, so you could stuff all your carryon bags into a binliner and as long as they meet the overall maximum size they count as one bag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.