Search

easyJet Adds New Hub At Schiphol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2001, 6:14 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

easyJet Adds New Hub At Schiphol

UK-based low-cost airline easyJet today commenced direct services from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to Edinburgh, Belfast and Nice making Schiphol the airline's fourth European hub alongside Luton and Liverpool in the UK and Geneva in Switzerland.

The airline has added twice-daily services to Edinburgh, and daily flights to Belfast and Nice. All services will be operated by Boeing 737 series aircraft with 149 seats.

These new destinations are the first step in the process of establishing Amsterdam as a new base airport for easyJet. The airline already operates flights to Schiphol Airport from Luton, Liverpool and Geneva.
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/01/978689821.html
Old Jan 5, 2001, 7:13 am
DOC 2 BE

I believe that EasyJet has some direct non-stop flights from LGW to GVA. Therefore, although not a hub, it is an alternative to the somewhat more distant and inacessible LUT airport.

Old Jan 5, 2001, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
easyJet serves GVA from LTN (4x daily), LGW (1x daily) and STN (1x daily) - more flights from LON than any other airline.

They are hinting at moving more flights from LTN to STN because of a dispute over passenger service charges.
Old Jan 5, 2001, 6:34 pm
DOC 2 BE

Roger --

Is the STN flight non-stop?

Also, is it true that travel from London to LUT is far more difficult than to STN or LGW?

Old Jan 6, 2001, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, DOC 2 BE.

Yes, the STN flight is non-stop.

By the way, I made a mistake earlier, LGW is 2x daily (not 1x), making 7 flights LON-GVA daily. Add 3x LTN-ZRH and 1x LPL-GVA, and that little airline is offering 11 flights to/from Switzerland a day.

Regarding access to Luton, it depends where you're starting from.

From Central London, there is rail access from King's Cross (KIng's Cross Thameslink, I think) to a new station close to LTN, with a very short bus transfer to the terminal.

From Victoria, there is bus service. easyJet passengers pay £5 one way or round trip! Just tell the driver you're an easyJet passenger, no need to show your ticket as it's a ticketless airline! (Otherwise, I guess the fare is around £8-9 each way, but who's going to pay that?)

LTN is around five minutes from Junction 10 of the M1 higway, so OK for car transport.

There is an Executive Lounge at LTN, which Priority Pass members can use. I haven't used it yet, so can't erport on its quality.

Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:24 am
DOC 2 BE

Dear Roger,

Thanx for excellent info! One question, though, what is Priority Pass?

Old Jan 7, 2001, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Priority Pass is an airport lounge programme. Probably best to do a search for more complete information.

It's included with my UK Amex Platinum card, and offers me free access to around 300 lounges around the world (though none in Australia!). Guests cost £15 a time.

Regular PP membership is available. I think their website is www.prioritypass.com for more info.

Old Jan 7, 2001, 10:26 am
DOC 2 BE

Thanx, but too rich for my blood. I am an EasyJet/RyanAir/Buzz sort of guy!

Old Jan 7, 2001, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me, too!

Buzz and Go are offering 2-for-1 tickets this week, travel up to June with some exclusions, collect tokens from The Times (Buzz) and the 'Daily Mail' (Go).

The offers look real.

No reaction from easyJet, yet!
Old Feb 6, 2001, 4:21 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

FWIW, Ryanair, the company, now attributes much of this success to its Web site, www.ryanair.com, which now takes 65% of all the company's bookings.

Old Feb 7, 2001, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost as many as easyJet ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.