Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Thursday's Meltdown: report from Geneva

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2023, 4:54 am
1P
Original Poster

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club

London Gatwick was closed down on Thursday afternoon/evening due to thunderstorms. (NB: These closures are often blamed on ATC. This is nonsense, ATC do not have the power to close down airports. It's the airports themselves who do it.)

EasyJet did a last-minute cancellation of two evening flights from Geneva to London Gatwick. The cancellation did not happen until half an hour before the first of the two flights, by by which time a large number of passengers, of whom I was one, were already at the gate. Total chaos ensued. There were no EasyJet personnel present at the gate, or indeed anywhere, to assist passengers a disgrace in itself. (We were told that when these things happen, they simply go home so as not to have to deal with frustrated travellers.) Worse still, it proved impossible for a proportion of passengers to exit the terminal as the passport control only operates in one direction.. A good 60 of us were effectively trapped in the terminal for almost an hour. Eventually I called the airport police who quickly alerted airport personnel to unlock a door and let us out. Even then, trying to process 60 pax through one small lift proved impossible. Eventually an escalator was opened up to ease the situation.

Further delays then ensued at passport control, where people who thought they had "left the country" an hour or two before were being held up by passport officials because the honest answer to the question "Where are you going?" was "I don't know".....

The most disgraceful aspect of the whole episode was that EasyJet effectively abandoned a planeload of passengers, as well as allowing many of them to be effectively imprisoned in the terminal for a considerable length of time. There should have been at least some staff seconded to handle rebooking, hand out hotel vouchers (I paid for my own hotel, despite the EasyJet website telling me that I would be offered hotel accommodation I wasn't), etc. Airlines have a duty of care to their passengers. EasyJet evidently don't care.

The only option offered was to return to Gatwick via Faro, a 15-hour journey, starting on a plane that was due to leave in 4 minutes' time from a different terminal in the airport and therefore impossible to take. All flights back to London were fully booked for three days, so the only realistic option was to cancel and rebook with another airline, which I did, hoping that my travel insurance will pick up the tab. I eventually reached Gatwick 24 hours later than planned, with no help whatsoever from the airline. I was lucky. Some people are still in Geneva, two days later.
estrela likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:18 am

Why cancel and rebook? Easyjet has to get you to London even if it is on another airline. If they neglect their legal obligation of duty of care you can book the next available flight yourself and get it reimbursed.

The only open question is the additional 250. If the flight was canceled due to weather you do not get it on top but always hotel and new flight on any airline.
Arctic Troll likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:07 pm
1P
Original Poster

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by estrela
Why cancel and rebook? Easyjet has to get you to London even if it is on another airline. If they neglect their legal obligation of duty of care you can book the next available flight yourself and get it reimbursed.
If I had followed your advice, I would still be in Geneva now. EasyJet is an "online airline". They don't really do phone customer service have you tried?. Apart from the Faro possibility mentioned above, everything else was booked up for the next three days, and no options to use another airline (I flew Swiss/Lufthansa in the end, the earliest reasonable alternative I had no expectation that EasyJet would reimburse me for this expenditure).
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:29 pm

Shouldn't easyJet cover the new flights anyway, because they offered no other alternatives to get back to London within 24 hours of your expected arrival? I believe this is mentioned by easyJet in their conditions
Old Aug 27, 2023, 3:19 pm

It is the law. In such cases, I give the airline 60mins to rebook me otherwise I do it on my expense and my lawyer does the rest. Especially Easyjet ignores the law regularly and paid already a lot of money for rebooking to other airlines and legal fees.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by 1P
If I had followed your advice, I would still be in Geneva now.
The legal obligation is rebook or refund.

The sensible option is to rebook on another airline at your expense, and then submit a reimbursement claim upon your return to the UK. Easyjet has a dedicated reimbursement form here

If they decline the reimbursement request you can then always take the refund. But by pre-emptively taking the refund you lose the right to claim reimbursement of your expenses.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll

The sensible option is to rebook on another airline at your expense, and then submit a reimbursement claim upon your return to the UK. Easyjet has a dedicated reimbursement form here

If they decline the reimbursement request you can then always take the refund. But by pre-emptively taking the refund you lose the right to claim reimbursement of your expenses.
Exactly and the passenger has the right of choice.
So in your case I would have arrived with the next possible flight (even if it is a connection somewhere else) and Easyjet would have had to reimburse this plus a hotel if needed as well as my lawyers as usually they decline any reimbursement coming directly from the passenger.

Result: I am happy, my lawyer is and I got to fly with a much better airline even earning miles.

Seems that you got less lucky...but for the next time you know.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:44 pm

What do you do if the airline refunds you automatically? Vueling once stranded me in Switzerland during a French ATC strike. They just sent an email telling me the flight was cancelled and I'd be getting my money back and that was that. I ended up having to get myself back by bus/train and they refused to cover any of the cost, telling me they had no obligation to do so once they'd refunded the flight, even though I hadn't asked for the refund, and obviously the last-minute arrangements I had to make were many times more than the cost of the budget fare I'd booked months in advance. I went back and forth with them for a while and eventually got exhausted and gave up.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:50 pm

Regulator, then lawyer. You have the right to chose.

People who give up just reconfirm the airlines to ignore the law.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by leelapa
What do you do if the airline refunds you automatically?
Lawyer. The choice is yours, not theirs.

Vueling are particularly badly behaved, though, and it's often better to vote with your wallet and simply not fly with the worst airlines. I wouldn't ever choose to fly Vueling because they are renowned through the industry as being terrible to deal with. WizzAir, likewise.

EasyJet, for their faults, will generally play ball. I was caught up in the ATC chaos last week and had to take a ferry instead. The reimbursement of my ferry fare is already back in my bank account. I really can't say fairer than that.
leelapa likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:24 am

Lawyer. The choice is yours, not theirs.

Vueling are particularly badly behaved, though, and it's often better to vote with your wallet and simply not fly with the worst airlines. I wouldn't ever choose to fly Vueling because they are renowned through the industry as being terrible to deal with. WizzAir, likewise.

EasyJet, for their faults, will generally play ball. I was caught up in the ATC chaos last week and had to take a ferry instead. The reimbursement of my ferry fare is already back in my bank account. I really can't say fairer than that.
That was the first and last time I ever flew with Vueling. Truly the worst airline I've ever encountered. I was in Barcelona at the time and thought I'd try them, as they were much cheaper than Swiss, but stuck to Swiss every time after that.
Arctic Troll likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.