Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

easyJet financial team cancelled our booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

easyJet financial team cancelled our booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Eurobonus Gold
Unhappy easyJet financial team cancelled our booking

Hello all,

I am not sure if you can assist or have experienced something similar, but here goes:

Early in January we booked a return flight from Agadir, Morocco to London Gatwick with easyJet, flight EZY8150 on the 18th January. We selected seats and did the online check-in and downloaded and printed the BP. The day before the flight I saw on my CC statement that easyJet had refunded the money. I checked my email and with easyJet that the flight was not cancelled, something it was not. I went to Manage my Booking to see, but could not find the reference. We therefore contacted easyJet through their chat and they gave no explanation but said that their financial team had cancelled the booking. We were left stranded in Morocco.

We asked how this was possible and what to do, but we received little to no help. The options from Agadir to London are limited. The only option the customer service rep told us was to show up at the airport and to buy new tickets in cash, which obviously was a bad solution as the flights were now a lot more expensive and we did not have that kind of money in cash, and the flight was almost full.

We ended up buying new, twice the price, flights with Royal Air Maroc, which we had departure the day after. The extra costs involved includes new tickets, missing work, loosing Gatwick Express tickets and buying Heathrow Express tickets.

I cannot believe it and have never experienced this with other airlines. Have some of you experience something similar? What should I do and what can we get compensated? If we showed up at the airport with the BP we would be denied and this would be covered by EU261/2004?

Thanks in advance.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I don't think anyone can give any advice until the reasons for easyjet cancelling your booking have been determined.

It is very unusual that any airline would cancel your tickets and issue a refund without informing you or (apparently) even making an attempt to contact you. Even more so given that you had already checked in.

Was there anything unusual or strange about the price, the manner of booking, the card used to purchase these tickets? Anything at all that could have attracted any form of unusual or unwarranted attention from the airline?

If easyjet are unable to substantiate the reasons for the cancellation, then I would expect that they should make some form of gesture to you. I am not sure whether this falls in the realms of EC261/2004, but if you would be happy with compensation/recovery along those lines, then perhaps that is a starting point for negotiation.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This is indeed very strange. The only reason I would imagine they might want to cancel any booking is if they are suspecting a fraud (not saying this is the reason in your case). Was flight AGA-LGW-AGA or vv? Paid by credit card? UK card? In your name?
Try getting to the bottom of this problem by calling their customer service team or emailing them. Once you get the reason for easyJet cancelling your booking you can then weigh your options on how to proceed.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Eurobonus Gold
Thank you both for your replies. Yes indeed it is very strange and something I have never come across before. Since it is their financial team they must have canceled due to that reason, that is the only logical explanation. They should have contacted us to sort it out. After our chat with easyJet, I sent my CC statement showing the transaction for the flight but they could still not do anything to reinstate the ticket.

It was AGA-LGW. The flight from LGW-AGA was flown with Royal Air Maroc which ended up being the solution on the return as well. All booked with the same CC, the hotel was booked with this CC and no issues elsewhere. Yes, the card used is in my name and is a UK card that I have used on easyJet a few times before as well.

We have not heard anything since sending the CC statement and a list of the extra costs that incurred and loss of work. No reason given yet.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Don't forget the EU 261 claim...
mats184 and TPJ like this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Buying o/w tickets from Morocco online with a UK credit card most likely triggered a fraud alert and the tickets were cancelled as preventive measure. That being said, tickets should have reinstated at the airport upon you showing the credit card and ID at the ticket office/check-in counter. File a complaint and see what happens.

EasyJet will be very reluctant to refund any amounts paid for replacement tickets with other carriers, so good luck!
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:51 am

I am experiencing this now for the second time. The most annoying thing is that they never emailed me to inform me about it. They simply refund the amount to your credit card and that is it. I called them to ask them about it. The guy on the phone lodged a complaint and told me to wait for a response. Still waiting for that.

My gut feeling says that indeed certain countries credit cards are not liked, but also the fact that I never buy any of their insurance nonsense makes me less liked as a customer, so they can do without me.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 11, 2023 at 4:03 am Reason: Removed presumed ethnicity of agent as irrelevant to issue
Old Apr 20, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by tkamp
I am experiencing this now for the second time. The most annoying thing is that they never emailed me to inform me about it. They simply refund the amount to your credit card and that is it. I called them to ask them about it. The guy on the phone lodged a complaint and told me to wait for a response. Still waiting for that.

My gut feeling says that indeed certain countries credit cards are not liked, but also the fact that I never buy any of their insurance nonsense makes me less liked as a customer, so they can do without me.
If your ticket is cancelled, you have a choice between reimbursement, rerouting, or return per EU rules. You never asked for a refund, I assume?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
You never asked for a refund, I assume?
I never had to ask for a refund, as they basically threw the money back into my face and said "we do not want you on our plane"
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by tkamp
I never had to ask for a refund, as they basically threw the money back into my face and said "we do not want you on our plane"
You're entitled to your choice of a reimbursement, re-routing, or return. Call Easyjet back and tell them that per EU261, you want to be rebooked. If they say that they sent you a refund, say that you never requested or elected for a refund and that you're happy to pay the price you previously paid before Easyjet chose to cancel your flight.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:06 pm

@steveholt Thanks for your advice! Needless to say that I already booked another flight with another carrier. To be honest I am more concerned as to what is really going on here than anything else. Currently it feels as if I am on some sort of a blacklist and if so, why?
I have no criminal record, never back-charged or misbehaved on a plane.

I sent an email to both Airhelp.com and EUClaim.com explaining the situation. They must have experience with this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:13 am

Hello everyone,

I've been closely following this thread and felt compelled to share my own experiences, which echo the frustrations many of you have expressed with easyJet. My ordeal mirrors the initial complaint, but with a twist: my online bookings are consistently cancelled without notice, a perplexing issue that I've battled for nearly four years. This peculiar situation arises whenever I use any credit card under my name for domestic flight bookings. Curiously, bookings go through smoothly with cards not in my name, indicating that the passenger's name isn't the problem.

My attempts to resolve this have been numerous and varied, extending beyond just using different credit cards of my own. Whether I attempt bookings through easyJet's website or opt for direct purchases at the airport using cash or credit cards, the outcome starkly differs. Direct, in-person purchases surprisingly bypass the issue, suggesting an anomaly with online transactions or perhaps a flaw in their fraud detection protocols that unjustly targets certain profiles or transaction patterns.

This recurring problem is not just a minor inconvenience; it has left me stranded at departure points on several occasions, especially troubling given the monopoly easyJet holds on many domestic routes I frequent. The lack of alternative carriers amplifies the impact of these cancellations, leaving me with few to no options to reach my destination without significant hassle and additional expense.

The response (or lack thereof) from easyJet's financial team concerning these unexplained cancellations has been disheartening. I have been asked one time to send document like ID card copy, credit card copy, which i didn t want to send PII to the unknown.

I am keen to learn if anyone else has encountered similar issues and, more importantly, if they have found any effective solutions or received a more definitive response from easyJet. Any insights, advice, or shared experiences on navigating this issue, dealing with easyJet, or exploring regulatory remedies would be greatly appreciated. It's clear that this is not an isolated problem, and a collective approach might be our best chance at finding a resolution or at least mitigating the impact of these frustrating cancellations.

Thank you all for your contributions to this discussion.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:53 pm

If it is with Easyjet Europe include APF. You have a contract with the carrier, worst case you get an alternative transportation and damages.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys, if EasyJet suspects that the tickets were purchased fraudulently EasyJet is not going to contact you/notify that the tickets are voided and being refunded.

I suspect this all comes down to origin (Morocco) and the credit card used. Buying o/w tickets from Morocco to the UK obviously is on the high risk list/triggers red flags.
Arctic Troll and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loloweb
I have been asked one time to send document like ID card copy, credit card copy, which i didn t want to send PII to the unknown.
Most likely your answer is there.
Arctic Troll likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.