Wiki Posts
Search

Is check-in closure automated?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Is check-in closure automated?

HiI was due to fly U2 from BIO on Monday. Unfortunately due to an accident on the way from Santander I was heavily delayed enroute to the airport. Luckily I just arrived in time and presented at the check-in desk just before it turned 12:14 (41 mins before departure) but was told the flight was closed for bag drop.. I said I still have 1 minute left and showed her my phone with the time. She said that easyJet closes the flight 41 mins before not 40 as shown on my ticket and the website. I asked her to write this down for me as it is definitely not the case. As expected she refused.

As a result booked KL with miles. Now I'm trying to get my money back from U2. I always thought check in closed automatically on the dot.. is the case or would it have been closed manually early?? Also is there anywhere where I can get the exact time to the second when it closed as proof?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
No experience with U2, but with most airlines these things don't happen automatically. Generally they finish checking in the queue; even if the deadline has passed. Because those people would have arrived at the desk on time, only to be delayed due to the queue.

As long as you have proof that you were on time, the published time, you are owed denied boarding compensation under 261/2004.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
No experience with U2, but with most airlines these things don't happen automatically. Generally they finish checking in the queue; even if the deadline has passed. Because those people would have arrived at the desk on time, only to be delayed due to the queue.

As long as you have proof that you were on time, the published time, you are owed denied boarding compensation under 261/2004.
I don't have proof of this. What kind of proof could I provide?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it seems bizarre that a carrier would close flights at such an odd time, the agent's own words are just that.

Don't overthink this. The agent said that U2 closes at T-41 while it advertises and publishes on OP's specific ticket a deadline of T-40. It was the fact that the agent acknowledged T-41 which leads you to the issue.

I would file the claim, noting that you presented yourself prior to the deadline advertised, but that the agent told you this was not the local deadline. Accordingly you were improperly denied boarding and are due compensation.

Whether closing is automated is irrelevant to your claim.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
While it seems bizarre that a carrier would close flights at such an odd time, the agent's own words are just that.

Don't overthink this. The agent said that U2 closes at T-41 while it advertises and publishes on OP's specific ticket a deadline of T-40. It was the fact that the agent acknowledged T-41 which leads you to the issue.

I would file the claim, noting that you presented yourself prior to the deadline advertised, but that the agent told you this was not the local deadline. Accordingly you were improperly denied boarding and are due compensation.

Whether closing is automated is irrelevant to your claim.
Thanks, I am already waiting to hear back from U2 now after sending them an email. My suspicion is they will deny everything. Now I think about it I should have gone back and discussed this '41 minute rule' while using audio recorder on my phone so at least I had some evidence.

If I was to take it to small claims court would it be down to me to prove they closed at T-41 or would it be for them to prove they didn't? If it is them who have to prove it then I would consider this an option.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by pogonation
If I was to take it to small claims court would it be down to me to prove they closed at T-41 or would it be for them to prove they didn't? If it is them who have to prove it then I would consider this an option.
It would be up to you to prove that you arrived at the bag drop desk at T-41. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter if the cutoff was T-40 or T-41, and you don't have a case.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That may be true, but the OP's report that the staff member who acknolwedged a cutoff at T-41 rather than T-40 is proof if believed. But, everything which must be proved is subject to being believed.

If OP arrived at T-39, why would anybody bother with whether the cutoff is T-40 or T41?

A simple enough MCOL claim with a common sense telephonic hearing if it proceeds that far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.