Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

easyJet increasing cabin baggage allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!

I posted this in the HBO thread but it has probably got lost in the multitude of comments.

http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/9002

easyJet, the UK’s largest airline, has today announced that it will be allowing its easyJet plus customers to take a second bag, such as a handbag or laptop bag, into the cabin on flights.

easyJet plus customers are those who have an easyJet plus card, have purchased a Flexifare or who have purchased upfront or extra legroom seats.

All easyJet passengers will still be able to take on board a cabin bag of up to 56x45x25cm (including handles and wheels) with no charge or weight limit, which can be placed in the overhead locker. All passengers can also carry on board a duty free bag.

However, from 19 March, easyJet plus customers will be able to bring an additional bag - handbag or laptop sized - which can be placed under the seat in front, although for those passengers in front row or over wing seats, it will be placed in the overhead locker.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Very savvy move by EasyJet. Exactly the right time to announce this change. Well played by them, sure they'll be able to lure a fair few BA frequent fliers.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by davidrr16
Very savvy move by EasyJet. Exactly the right time to announce this change. Well played by them, sure they'll be able to lure a fair few BA frequent fliers.
It was actually announced on 18th February so either they had a heads-up on the BA announcement or it was pure coincidence.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Gaza
It was actually announced on 18th February so either they had a heads-up on the BA announcement or it was pure coincidence.
It makes the BA announcement even more of an own goal.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:04 pm

Now we just need EasyJet to offer a free plus card to GCH...

I'm sure it'd be a good move - if people don't use it, it costs them nothing.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by windowontheAside

It's £149. Just buy one and be done.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
May not turn out to be as good as it first looks. Isn't the generous carry on allowance causing problems on BA? Will EZY not encounter the same issues?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

I think EasyJet have some advantages over BA in that respect.
  • They are used to managing baggage within their stated limits
  • Their passengers are more likely to expect to have to stay within the limits
  • I suspect relatively few passengers would be eligible to take the second bag anyway
  • They probably don't have too many DYKWIA folk with 3 or 4 bags with a misplaced sense of entitlement
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
May not turn out to be as good as it first looks. Isn't the generous carry on allowance causing problems on BA? Will EZY not encounter the same issues?
EZY gate agents seem to be a lot more proactive with telling passengers that their bag is too big and gate checking it there and then.

They also do not guarantee that they bags over a certain size but still within the allowance will even be allowed into the cabin. So if it's a busy flight and people are all taking bags on, passengers towards the end of the boarding process just get told their bag is going in the hold even if it is within the limits.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think EasyJet have some advantages over BA in that respect.
  • They are used to managing baggage within their stated limits
  • Their passengers are more likely to expect to have to stay within the limits
  • I suspect relatively few passengers would be eligible to take the second bag anyway
  • They probably don't have too many DYKWIA folk with 3 or 4 bags with a misplaced sense of entitlement
So it sounds like BA have the wrong type of customers then.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
On flights with EasyJet, RyanAir and Jet2, I've found passengers are very respectful of the cabin baggage policy. Have Easyjet specified dimensions for the additional bag? RyanAir allow an extra bag, but the 35cm limit is just a little tight for the corporate Dell From Hell in the smallest (PC World Essentials) case I could find for it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

U2 are apparently piloting a new "traditional" frequent flyer programme. I am not well informed about the details but this was mentioned to me by people who have been approached to be part of that pilot. Apparently, it will be a relatively simple programme but one which will allow passengers using U2 with some level of regularity to enjoy some loyalty benefits for free.

In recent years, U2 has aggressively tried to target business customers. Their service for companies is actually often excellent. I do not fly them very regularly, but when I have, they would readily send invoices and even call me to check everything had been received. I also suspect them of highlighting known "business customers" (even without an Easyjet plus card) and typically giving them good seats (on the occasions when I did not pay to book a seat, which is most, I never got a middle seat and am typically sat in rows 4-9, which is effectively better than ET!)

Personally, I have no doubt that they are watching BA's careful attempts to lose business travellers and will make further moves to steal significant numbers of business customers from them.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's £149. Just buy one and be done.
If you're only trying easyjet on 3 or 4 flights it's a lot to pay on the assumption you'll like it enough to make it worthwhile.

A 1 month "taster card" might be a good move though.

Biggest things against Easyjet and Jet2 (and perhaps even ryanair) is not being available on ITA. If I want to fly to Rome tomorrow morning, I type in "From MAN,LPL, to FCO,CIA", and see how to get there. It doesn't show up the Jet2 or Ryanair flights though, I have to go off to those specific websites to see if they fly there, and if they fly there on a given day, and what times they fly there.

My current thoughts are TK east/south, VS west, and KL in europe, however I'm having more thoughts about getting out of the travel game entirely.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
paul: try skyscanner? works reasonably well, allows countries/regions as inputs and includes LCCs

As a fellow GGL, I bought an Easyjet Plus card yesterday. Times are changing, with avios deval, onbusiness deval and HBO deval in a month - BA are trying to tell us something. Only the deaf don't hear.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
At £149 Easyjet Plus isn't going to be worth it until I move 10-20% of my shorthaul flights over to them which I'm not quite ready to yet. I'm definitely going to try a couple of times with extra legroom seats though - it's primarily the lack of a second carry-on bag which has led me to prefer BA recently.

I think I might celebrate BA's HBO announcement by booking Easyjet on Sunday if there's a good flight available and check them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.