Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
Sorry to hear about your ankle - I hope it heals up soon. Which airport/airline?
Thank you. I am healing as fast as I can.

American.

In two weeks time...

MIA
LAX
SFO
JFK
EWR
SEA
YVR
PTY
Old May 18, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Sorry to hear about your ankle as well. How are you getting around besides at the airports? Walking a bit, crutches, using a manual wheelchair? I only ask because I'm wondering how are you going to show up at the airport and then leave the airports? That may be a much tougher task been dealing with the knuckleheads at the airport, but I digress ...

As a captive of American I first offer you my condolences that your trip involves Miami. However, the wheelchair folks are fairly attentive at all of the airports you listed, and although I don't know if you're actually stopping at each of these airports or merely connecting, I can address the wheelchair issue within the airports.

First, when you make your reservations make sure to either check the box that you need wheelchair assistance or call reservations (or AA special assistance 800-237-7976) and let them know that you will need appropriate wheelchair assistance for your mobility needs. When you arrive at the curb in Miami simply notify the skycap that you need a wheelchair and they will get you one pretty quickly. Just like anything else the time of day and overall busyness of the airport will contribute substantially to how long it really takes, could be 2-3 min., could be 15-20. So you may want to at lease hop into to terminal if possible and take a seat.

The "wheelchair pushers" like to stay with their wheelchairs as well as their charges. They tend to treat their wheelchairs as if they were their very own. The ACAA says that legally you can be left alone for 30 min. (believe it or not) but I'm convinced the pushers are usually more concerned with the wheelchair than you. This means that they will generally follow you all the way through the ticket counter, security area, restrooms, the club/lounges, all the way to the gate, where there will likely wait for a bit of a tip. (As a power wheelchair user myself I don't get into that issue but there are plenty of posts that you can read up on this forum). They will give you as much or as little boarding assistance as you need, then you will be off to your next city and be met at the door of the aircraft by another wheelchair pusher that will either see you to your connecting gate, or to baggage claim and your curbside transportation.

Simply put, it's essential that your need for a wheelchair be put in your American Airlines locator. They will have a special assistance code for the need of a wheelchair and some ability to walk/hop and not need 100% assistance. You will be met at each arrival gate and taken to each departure gate by a wheelchair pusher. The airlines and their contractors have gotten pretty good despite the many complaints you'll see on this forum so that your main concern will be as I said, how you are going to arrive at the airport and leave the airport to your destination.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by rollthere
Sorry to hear about your ankle as well. How are you getting around besides at the airports? Walking a bit, crutches, using a manual wheelchair? I only ask because I'm wondering how are you going to show up at the airport and then leave the airports? That may be a much tougher task been dealing with the knuckleheads at the airport, but I digress ...

As a captive of American I first offer you my condolences that your trip involves Miami. However, the wheelchair folks are fairly attentive at all of the airports you listed, and although I don't know if you're actually stopping at each of these airports or merely connecting, I can address the wheelchair issue within the airports.

First, when you make your reservations make sure to either check the box that you need wheelchair assistance or call reservations (or AA special assistance 800-237-7976) and let them know that you will need appropriate wheelchair assistance for your mobility needs. When you arrive at the curb in Miami simply notify the skycap that you need a wheelchair and they will get you one pretty quickly. Just like anything else the time of day and overall busyness of the airport will contribute substantially to how long it really takes, could be 2-3 min., could be 15-20. So you may want to at lease hop into to terminal if possible and take a seat.

The "wheelchair pushers" like to stay with their wheelchairs as well as their charges. They tend to treat their wheelchairs as if they were their very own. The ACAA says that legally you can be left alone for 30 min. (believe it or not) but I'm convinced the pushers are usually more concerned with the wheelchair than you. This means that they will generally follow you all the way through the ticket counter, security area, restrooms, the club/lounges, all the way to the gate, where there will likely wait for a bit of a tip. (As a power wheelchair user myself I don't get into that issue but there are plenty of posts that you can read up on this forum). They will give you as much or as little boarding assistance as you need, then you will be off to your next city and be met at the door of the aircraft by another wheelchair pusher that will either see you to your connecting gate, or to baggage claim and your curbside transportation.

Simply put, it's essential that your need for a wheelchair be put in your American Airlines locator. They will have a special assistance code for the need of a wheelchair and some ability to walk/hop and not need 100% assistance. You will be met at each arrival gate and taken to each departure gate by a wheelchair pusher. The airlines and their contractors have gotten pretty good despite the many complaints you'll see on this forum so that your main concern will be as I said, how you are going to arrive at the airport and leave the airport to your destination.
Thank you for the detailed response. Right now, I am no weight on the ankle, with a boot. I use crutches outside the house. By the time we fly, I should be partial weight bearing; so crutches and the boot or (hopefully) sneaker, but no walks of any real length. And must use crutches. Mrs 110pgl will have our bags and I can hop to the curb/check-in. And I will be fine once I get to the plane. I can get to my seat on my own. But there is no way I can do the long walk for connections.

Most of the airports will be stops; LAX, YVR, JFK, PTY, SEA
Connecting only in: EWR, DFW, SFO
Start and End in MIA

Online I did not see a place in my existing reservations to check mark need a wheelchair. (I am guessing it needed to be done at booking.) I will call the special assistance line in the morning.

Thank you again for all your suggestions/expertise.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Some questions about wheelchair assistance. I recently had Ankle surgery and will be no weight bearing during upcoming multiple leg trip. I will call ahead to request help.

Where do they pick you up for assistance? The less time walking/hopping with crutches, the better.
Will the wheelchair person take me to the club until it is time to board?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Why do you need a wheelchair for a trip with multiple legs?

Seriously, as someone posted, tell a skycap at the curbside and they can get one. Really, the answers above are so good, the only thing I could add was the joke above. Hope it all works out.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Online I did not see a place in my existing reservations to check mark need a wheelchair. (I am guessing it needed to be done at booking.) I will call the special assistance line in the morning.

Thank you again for all your suggestions/expertise.
You actually can request it online after booking at https://www.aa.com/i18n/contactAA/cu...assistance.jsp

That link is fairly new on their website and is a nice addition, however, I would stick with giving them a phone call afterwards to make sure it's in your record. It's really a pain to get to the airport and not have it already in your record.

One further tip is to try to not let the contract wheelchair pushers in any of the cities leave you in American's "comfort zone" which looks like a little playpen for those with disabilities, both inside of security and out at each major hub (you'll see it at MIA just west of the premium check-in area where the kiosks start). This is how they can supervise you for literally hours at a time with just one person. If you plan to go to one of the clubs, or just would like to go to one of the restaurants without being monitored, simply tell the wheelchair pusher went to meet you back at the club or restaurant. They are terrified of losing their wheelchair or being accused of having left you alone for more than 30 minutes, so they will definitely be back to pick you up.

Please report back on your success and how the treatment varied among the different airports.

PS-Are you doing the LAX-PTY MR with a broken foot?
Old May 28, 2016, 7:22 pm

You actually can request it online after booking at https://www.aa.com/i18n/contactAA/cu...assistance.jsp

That link is fairly new on their website and is a nice addition, however, I would stick with giving them a phone call afterwards to make sure it's in your record. It's really a pain to get to the airport and not have it already in your record.

One further tip is to try to not let the contract wheelchair pushers in any of the cities leave you in American's "comfort zone" which looks like a little playpen for those with disabilities, both inside of security and out at each major hub (you'll see it at MIA just west of the premium check-in area where the kiosks start). This is how they can supervise you for literally hours at a time with just one person. If you plan to go to one of the clubs, or just would like to go to one of the restaurants without being monitored, simply tell the wheelchair pusher went to meet you back at the club or restaurant. They are terrified of losing their wheelchair or being accused of having left you alone for more than 30 minutes, so they will definitely be back to pick you up.

Please report back on your success and how the treatment varied among the different airports.

PS-Are you doing the LAX-PTY MR with a broken foot?
Thanks for the tips on how to best use the services. 100% I will report back on each airport successes when I am done.

And yes... double PTY runs with a weekend in Seattle at the end. (Booked it thinking I would be in the clear and walking by the time the trip started. Doctor laughed at me. )
Old May 29, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a lot better than what happened to us at LAX a couple years ago. The pusher wanted to take the wheelchair back and leave her at the gate. Yes, I was with her but going to the bathroom would have been a big problem.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:18 am
Formerly known as pmclean

I'm traveling in a few days, and have several flights and connections.
MCO
ORD
DFW
SLC
I'm a member of the media and will be traveling with about 80 lbs. of carry-on camera equipment as well as a shattered humerous in my left arm. While my arm is recovering well, I am unable to lift anything heavy. I've requested assistance and AA has set me up for wheelchair assistance as that was the only option.

I will need help through TSA, but TSA does offer that themselves and I've arranged for that. And then I plan to visit a lounge before my flight. My main need is getting those carry-ons into the overhead bin as this is fragile gear that I cannot check. I've called AA several times, but no one can tell me how anything actually works, but I was told I would have to go directly to the gate. I guess I should get the wheelchair at check-in and let that person know what my actual needs are? As I really don't need a wheelchair, just a set of hands while boarding. I'm really hoping I can go to the lounge before my flight and during my long layovers (Centurion, not Admiral's Club). Any advise or clarification?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Usually, wheelchair pushers and FAs assist in placing light carry-on luggage in overhead bins when you are traveling alone, and FAs will assist you if you need anything from your carry-on mid-flight (a pashmina, medication, etc.). This is done as a courtesy, so keep carry-ons light and don't abuse the kindness the CC are showing you: when traveling alone, I tend to fly with my handbag (which I place under the seat in front of me) and a light carry-on (containing my meds, 311 bag, any jewelry, an extra pair of undies, extra top, Lancome Le Voyage makeup kit, iPad, electrical cords, and a pashmina -- IOW, if my checked bag ends up somewhere else, enough stuff to get by for a couple of days).

If you are traveling with a lot of heavy, fragile gear that you cannot manage on your own, you may need to seriously consider traveling with a companion to assist you. Now, you may also consider AA's Five Star Service -- while it is not officially a part of what they assist you with, it has been my experience that once they are in the mix, you rarely touch your bags.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:46 pm
Formerly known as pmclean

Goodness, now I'm worried. I checked in with AA before booking my flight to be certain I could get carry-on assistance and described what I was carrying on. This is a two week business trip, so paying for a "companion" to spend 15 days plus the cost of flights, hotels, meals is not going to happen; and 5 Star is not available in my home city or in SLC. I also have no option to pack much lighter - cameras and lenses weighing what they weigh. Sadly looks like I'll be one of those passengers blocking the aisle until someone takes pity on the girl with the broken arm and helps me.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by parismama
Goodness, now I'm worried. I checked in with AA before booking my flight to be certain I could get carry-on assistance and described what I was carrying on. This is a two week business trip, so paying for a "companion" to spend 15 days plus the cost of flights, hotels, meals is not going to happen; and 5 Star is not available in my home city or in SLC. I also have no option to pack much lighter - cameras and lenses weighing what they weigh. Sadly looks like I'll be one of those passengers blocking the aisle until someone takes pity on the girl with the broken arm and helps me.
I wouldn't worry if you've spoken to AA and they are aware of the situation. Since you will be pre-boarding, your wheelchair pusher and CC will no doubt want to assist you in order to ensure that boarding goes smoothly and efficiently. It sounds like special circumstances, and it also sounds like you have made arrangements in advance. Don't stress.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA
And if you feel uncomfortable about requesting preboarding, don't be.

It's designed for people who need extra assistance when boarding and the FAs are usually very attentive and eager to help me with my carryons when I preboard. When you exit the plane, you could stay on the aircraft until the other passengers have left so you can take your time in retrieving your carry ons & have full attention of the FAs again to assist.

I typically check in with GA to request preboarding but if boarding starts soon and there's a massive line, you should be able to go up and preboard when they call out for preboarding or board with the first group. It'll be apparent that you need extra assistance with your arm in a cast and they can do an override of some sort with your pass so the system will allow you on. I do this all the time and I've never had a GA tell me that I couldn't board after I indicated that I was deaf.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:48 pm

Thanks for the tips on how to best use the services. 100% I will report back on each airport successes when I am done.

And yes... double PTY runs with a weekend in Seattle at the end. (Booked it thinking I would be in the clear and walking by the time the trip started. Doctor laughed at me. )

Long overdue update on what happened...

First, thank you for all the suggestions and help Katja and rollthere.^^^

My recovery from foot/ankle surgery sped up a little, allowing me to do some hobbling around. That turned out to be a huge help.

(All flights were on AA in June.)

MIA - Long wait for chair at Flagship check-in. No one near the door when I hobbled in.
LAX - waiting for me when we deplaned. Took me to the bus area (for remote terminal). Had to hobble down the stairs. Chair to the club and to the gate.
SFO – took me to the club near the gate
JFK - waiting for me at gate. Took me to end of security. Long (painful) hobble to the hotel shuttle bus.
JFK - long (painful) hobble to check in. Had to wait there for chair.
MIA - waiting for me at gate. Took me to club in E via cart. Then cart took me to gate.
PTY - waiting for me at gate. Took me to hotel shuttle bus.
PTY - hobble to check in. Then sat down and waited for wheelchair. Took me to the gate.
MIA - waiting for me at gate. took me through customs and security to the gate.
JFK - waiting at gate. Took me to club. Short hobble from club to gate.
DFW – took me gate to gate. Was able to hobble on board, but they offered to come back.
YVR – Nothing when we landed and no one to help. It was a long, slow, painful walk. It 100% sucked.
YVR – Hobbled to check-in (nothing outside). Sat down after check in and was taken to the gate.
The second round of flights (YVR-LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA-EWR-SEA) had similar experiences.
EWR – met me at the gate and took me to club and then to the gate.
SEA – took me from gate to taxi area.
SEA – took me to the (Alaska Board Room) club (after check in). Short hobble to the gate.

Summary –
Call AA ahead of time and arrange. Confirm at check-in. And, if possible, recheck with the gate agent for pre-boarding. I got lucky and was further along in my recovery so I had the option of painful hobbling. I would not expect any help before check-in. There did not seem to be anyone around. If your flight is late (YVR), don’t expect any help at the gate without flagging someone down. (In my case there was no one around. The person opening the doors just kept walking.) If I was truly wheelchair bound, I am not sure what I would have done at YVR and getting down the stairs at LAX to go to the remote terminal. I guess I would have just sat there and someone would have eventually discovered me.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
One tip for ensuring you are not stranded when you arrive: stay on plane and do not exit until the wheelchair is at aircraft door. If you are holding up the turnaround, wheelchair will arrive very quickly. Tell FAs you ordered and are waiting for a wheelchair as you cannot walk the jet bridge.

Also, regarding stairs: if you cannot do stairs but there doesn't seem to be an alternative, find an airline agent and explain the situation. There are usually secure elevators not accessible to the public they can take you on to get you to your destination. Has happened to me many times (I am an amputee and cannot walk).
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:19 pm

LAX?

Originally Posted by flyingfran
One of the best things for me about being in the wheelchair is the ease with which I normally pass through security. The person who pushes your wheelchair will be directed to a security location and he will move directly to the head of the line. You, along with whom ever you are traveling with will immediately enter the security process.
Anyone know if this is true at LAX? Having issues with my leg and my trip is in 3 weeks.

My problem here is I'm a newbie when it come's to travel. I booked a flight overseas in 3 tickets. So I will be having to recheck luggage and pass through security/Customs on way out and way back.

I had enough time with my layover to do everything and make it to connecting flight. Now with my leg I'm worried about how fast I can really do that. But if I go with a wheelchair assist I lose time waiting to get off plane last and possibly other waiting time if they aren't promptly at gate. Washes out I think. But cutting security line would make wheelchair assist the better option.

So my question is does anyone know if you cut to the front of the security/Customs line at LAX international terminal? I don't wanna be that young guy cutting the line but unfortunately my nonrefundable ticket don't give me a choice.

Appreciate any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.