Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I think the answer to the question is one you explained in the first part of your post. Clearly he was not physically disabled, but probably not all together mentally complete. At least he was certainly lacking the gene for social awareness and human compassion. I am glad that you had the fortitude to be embarrassed for him rather than feel guilty.

I cannot imagine why he thought he would be allowed to ride on the electric cart. That is very strange, and I do not think I have ever seen anyone do that before.

It is very important for the person who pushes the wheelchair to be able to move to the front of the line. It permits him to help as many as four or five additional disabled people during the same amount of time he would spend standing in the regular line just to help one person. As soon as I realized this I stopped feeling guilty. The faster I can arrive at my gate the sooner my wheelchair assistant can move on to provide his/her services for another disabled person.

The same situation is also true for pre-boarding procedures. If I get on the plane first it means that everyone else is not delayed by the extra time I require to get myself and my carry-ons correctly arranged. It is really more of a favor to the other passengers rather than a perk to the disabled person.

Unfortunately, people like this man are the reason why we had to have legislation in the US to protect the rights of disabled people. As a teacher of disabled students I was constantly amazed at how many people treat a person in a wheelchair as if he/she were completely invisible, and for some people this lack of compassion starts at a very early age.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just blink your eyes and let jerks like this have your disability for a couple of hours? I am sure that would cause them to re-think their lack of understanding.

You just have to understand that things like this happen. Be prepared to ignore them and go on your way. Fortunately 99% of the people I meet while flying are very kind and some even go out of their way to extend courtesy to me. The jerk is, fortunately, very much in the minority. If he is mentally disabled he probably deserves a bit of compassion from us regardless of how offensive his behavior might be, but people with these types of mental illness should really not be permitted to travel without a care taker of some kind.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:34 am

Thanks flyingfran..

I appreciate your response. My issue on that trip is that we did tell the FA I needed wheelchair assistance and she was the one who brushed me off with the comment about the carts. If I had only known there was a shuttle, I would not have had a problem. I've since learned to stand my ground and not allow anyone to brush off my request.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by thenelsons
During our last trip home we had a horrible jerk in line at security after we had cleared customs, the wheelchair pusher put my husband up near the front of the line and since I have the 2 kids and dog we all tried to stay together. We are seasoned travelers and only have had to get the wheelchair after my husband had a bad wreck and his broken leg is not healing so this is a new experience for us and I feel somewhat bad about "breaking" in line but this is not my choice- we are just trying to stay together (in Houston, not the smallest airport). ANYWAY, some real JERK pipes up and loudly screams at the wheelchair pusher and looks at myself and my two children screaming "What am I? Chopped Liver?" He was able-bodied but I'm not sure about his mental state! The chair pushed could only push us through some pre-determined areas and then had to go back so he called ahead and had an electric cart waiting for us...when we get to the waiting cart guess who is there perched in the cart sitting in the front seat??? The jerk from the security line!!!!!!! Well, it was the sweetest revenge when the wheelchair pusher told him "Sir, I'm sorry but the electric carts give priority to wheelchair customers and he has to have your front seat!!!" My children and I had taken the rear seats and 2 unaccompanied minors were on the middle seat so had to walk!!! Serves him right...
My only real question is why this guy felt like he had to be such a miserable jerk?? Everyone who heard him was obviously embarrassed at their fellow humans acting so poorly and gave me the looks to indicate such!
There will always be jerks like this. They are the same people who park in the handicapped spots or book a handicapped hotel room or cruise cabin because "they are bigger". (believe me, I see this issue posted all the time on Cruise Critic)

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about them (other than call the cops if they are in a spot) because the provider cannot ask them if they truly need the wheelchair, electric cart, hotel room or cabin.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:03 am

Or he could just as easily have been like some of those folks on this board who have a disability without appearing to... just because he was a jerk doesn't mean he wasn't in need of assistance....

Interesting that you could apparently tell he was "able bodied" just by looking at him... If that is the "standard" applied then a lot of legitimately disabled folks are going to have problems.... some of them are on FT.... and have contributed to this thread...

Note he was told wheelchair users "have priority".. not that he "was not entitled"...

Serves him right? What if he actually did have a painful (non-obvious) walking difficulty.. like the ones described earlier in this thread?

One of the nastiest human beings I have ever encountered was a quadriplegic... He was a real jerk....didn't mean he was denied the assistance he needed....
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:09 am

One assumes that if this man had a disability that limited his walking he would have made that disability known at the time he booked his ticket. If he needed the electric cart to get to his destination, what would he have done if the airport did not have a cart? I assume that if he did not state he needed assistance, then he did not need assistance. If he needed the "benefits" afforded to disabled people such as the opportunity to pre-board and electric cart/wheelchair assistance in the airport he should have made those needs known.

I am fully aware that not all disabilities are obvious. I think that is one of the reasons that you identify your disability when you reserve your ticket. It would not be very efficient if every airline employee had to ask every passenger what type of special assistance he/she required.

Absent any notification that he needed assistance, I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume that he did not. It is really the affirmative obligation of every one of us who require help to make sure that the airline staff knows what we need. We cannot just jump on an electric cart and hope they can read our minds or our MRI's.

Since he did not seem to have notified anyone that he needed extra assistance, I feel somewhat comfortable in concluding that the only thing he suffered from was a serious attack of the absence of manners and compassion.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:30 am

Quite possibly.. but the apparently gloating tone with which it was reported that he couldn't even sit on the back of the cart - because the "entitled" persons kids and spouse were there (THEY couldn't walk?) - reduced my level of sympathy considerably...

It seemed to be just missing the "niener, niener, niener"....... and seemed (equally?) unmannerly to me.. YMMV.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:13 am

I do not feel particularly guilty when my husband rides with me on those rare occasions when I am transported on an electric cart. I never travel alone. He is always with me if I need help. It could be unpleasant, uncomfortable and possibly even dangerous for me to be left alone at the gate.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Which might be my cue to come back in. flyingfran, you did make it clear that my colleague should be able to go through the lines with me (at the time I was only thinking TSA lines), but at LAX too many things got complicated. My colleague is Australian while I have a US passport (dual citizen) so I was envisioning different lines. It was his first trip to the US so he didn't know what to expect. SYD-LAX jetlag wasn't helping either of us. The wheelchair pusher was non-committal when my colleague asked if he should wait with us for the elevator or join the crowd going down the stairs. I was disoriented by having people talk over the top of my head as if I wasn't there. (I've always thought that I was sensitive to people with disabilities but I really gained a whole new perspective!!)

My point is that travelling is unpredictable (sometimes in a good way, sometimes not) and that a disability makes it more challenging to cope with the unexpected. I was very grateful to have received advice from people here, but not every traveller has that. I started by relying on the wheelchair pushers' advice, but clearly that's not always good (especially if they don't speak English). I did my own research and that was useful, but in the end it's a case of balancing flexibility (about the details) and resolve (about needing assistance). In hindsight there are things I'd do differently but I probably needed to learn those myself.

I was especially grateful for the encouragement not to be embarrassed or feel like I was taking advantage of anyone, and as I went along I realised I didn't have time to worry about that. I would have been a lot worse off without the detailed advice I got here, and I wish every disabled traveller could have the same! :-:

In relation to this recent discussion, problems arise when airport/airline staff and passengers (disabled as well as others looking on) all have different information/opinions about who can/should/must have assistance. As I said in my report a few posts back, it was the variation, even between departing from SYD and arriving back, that was surprising and frustrating. I wonder how much is policy (airport/airline??) and how much is just made up on the spot? How are people who don't read FT supposed to know??

Not that I'm upset about my experience - I learned a lot, not only for my own use but for others in the same situation. Thanks again to everyone.

P.S. I have an appointment for mid-August to find out whether surgery is called for. Supposed to go to Geneva in October so may have another try with the wheelchair!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:18 pm

I'm glad to hear that the community was able to arm you with some information about past experiences, and that you stood up for yourself (hah) marvelously given difficult circumstances (who of us functions super well after a trip of that length?).

Best of luck with your appointment!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
Smile

LapLap and others

I am disabled with a Left leg amputation and deterioration of my right foot where all the bones have fallen to the bottom of my foot. It makes it very painful to walk and causes the foot to get worse.

Last Sept. I went to Japan by myself to help my daughter care for newborn twins and a 18 month old.

This was the first flight I had ever taken so needless to say I was nervise and very anxious. Not knowing what expect is probably the worst part about any new situation. I will try to tell you about my exp.

I flew TEd Exp. from Birmingham Al. to Ohara. When I got to bhm there where wheelchairs sitting just inside the door and my husband brought one out to the car. He then pushed me to the counter and the UN people took it from there. They allowed me to stay in the W/C so I did not have to get up. They tested my shoes and cane for bomb residue and then sent me on my way This may have changed since then. Since I will bw fly to Las Vegas on Tues. I'll find out. When I went trough security the did a wand search and checked my carry on but no manual search. The asissant. then push me to my gate. They do not have a boarding ramp so I had to walk down 2 flights of stairs. and then walk about 300 yards to the plane. When I got to the plane I had to climb about 8-10 stairs into the plane. Needless to say by the time I got on I not only hurt but was broke out in a cold sweat. By the way I tipped the pusher $4.00 since it is a small airport and she did not stay with me or leave the W/C.

When we got close to landing I asked the FA if they would know I would need a W/C she said they were. When we landed the same thing happened but there was a W/C and pusher waiting for me. I had a 3 hr, lay over and when the pusher left she took the W/C with her leaving me with no way to get to the bathroom, something to eat. I gave her $5.00 since it was a long way between my gates. In order to get something to eat and go to the bathroom I had to walk quite a bit and both my stump and foot were hurting alot. I wish I had asked her to leave the W/C but she left so fast I did not have time ( don't forget to ask that they leave the chair with you.)

When we finally started to board the asked for A but did not mention handicapped. I did not have any way for them to tell I needed pre boarding so I just went up and asked myself to be pre boarded. I then had to walk down the boarding platform. By this time I was hurting so bad I was all most crying This is after taking 100mg of Oxycontin for the pain while we were waiting..

The flight to Japan was uneventful. When we were close to landing I again asked a FA if there would be a W/C waiting and he showed me a list with my name on it requesting a W/C. Sure enough as soon as I got off the plane there was someone waiting with a name plaq. for me. She took me through customs, security where they did a pat down which did not bother me. In Tokyo the refused any tip. After getting off the plane they took me directly to immig. security and the to the ticket counter. Because I can not bend my leg with my prosthesis on (they had put me in a window seat) I told them I did not think I could get in. They gave me BS seat to Okinawa. What a wonderful thing that was. After I checked in and waited about 15 min. someone all ways came to check on my until a gentleman took me to the gate and stayed with me until we left. Since it was a long walk they got a bus to hold me and several others to take us to the plane. It lifted us up to the airplane platform and we only had to walk a short way to our seats. When we arrived at Okinawa the same process was repeated and was I ever glad to be there.

The trip home was the same except this time they left the W/C when I asked them to.

I'll be taking Wn to got to LV since they have a direct flight which will be a lot better on me.

I can't wait to see the look on the screeners faces when they she my prosthesis in my check in bags.

I'll let you know how it goes with my LV trip.

jachot
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:30 am

I understand how difficult it is to even request assistance. Airline staff and those who work in the terminals all have different ideas about what is appropriate assistance. You just need to explain your specific needs very clearly to whoever pushes your wheelchair or calls for assistance.

I absolutely do not let them take my wheelchair away while I am waiting for the plane. I do not understand why they even want to do that. What do they expect you to do if you do not have the wheelchair? You cannot get food or use the restroom. I have only had one really bad experience. The wheelchair pusher said it violated the terminal policy to leave me in the wheelchair, and I told him he would need to physically remove me, and my husband would photograph that action for the press. He decided he did not need to enforce that terminal policy. I do not understand why they would have such a policy. It is not like I am going to steal the wheelchair. I think that some terminals just do not have enough wheelchairs.

I can manage to get myself to the restroom in the wheel chair, but usually, if he is flying with me, my husband will take me to the restroom and someplace to eat. Sometimes he just goes and gets food and we eat it at the gate.

One thing I have learned is that I can use the wheelchair as I use a walker. It is possible for me to push it into the restroom and right into the handicapped stall, and that is much, much better than trying to walk. I have long since decided that I do not care if I look silly pushing my wheelchair. Whatever I need to do to get through the entire flight experience is better than collapsing somewhere in the terminal. I figure that would be much more embarrassing than anything I need to do to get myself from one location to the next.

In the best situations, and I have had this experience in Seattle, Atlanta and Salt Lake City, the person will push my wheelchair to a restaurant and give me a card with a cell phone number. When I finish eating I just call and the pusher returns to take me to the gate. I always give these people a generous tip.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jachot - that sounds like a really tough journey, I'm only happy that the trip got progressively easier, you must have been so exhausted by the time you reached Japan and Okinawa.

Congratulations on your double dose of grandmotherhood! There can't be a more rewarding reason to be putting yourself through the wringer the way you did.

I'm also glad that the trip back was a little better. I've mentioned on this forum before that the worst part about travelling with a disability is that too much only becomes clear with hindsight. Online advice is obviously valuable, but there's no substitute for experience and many of the lessons forced on those with special requirements are horribly painful.

I do hope the trip you described ends up being the worst you ever have and your next flight is boring and uneventful. You've already learnt so much.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:14 pm

While on the one hand I agree that that airport personnel should should never abandon a passenger at the gate without a wheelchair, on the other hand I suggest that if you think you will be unable to manage with your normal mobility devices, it might be time to get your own wheelchair (I'm not speaking to anyone in particular here, just in general).

Owning the appropriate mobility device for your condition == freedom and independence.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
Wink

I do have a electric W/C and a manual one but at the time did not have a car that could carry it ( looking back on it now I did not think of that option).

I have the same problem now so when I go to Las Vegas I have found a company that will rent a W/C to me and will delivery it for about $100.00 a month which I feel is a good price. Just look up Home Medical Equipment in the area you will be going and the type of equipment you need.

During my original post I did not mention what a beautiful place Japan is and how much I enjoyed meeting the people and see some of the wonderful sites. When I get better with this posting process I'll write more about it. I could not believe how polite the people were and how they were always smiling.

Like all things you have to learn the ropes and these forums help a lot!!!!!
jachot
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:21 pm

The airline that I fly will gate check my own wheelchair or electric cart, but they much prefer to have it checked at the regular check-in counter and have me use the wheelchair in the terminal to reach my plane. I try to do what they recommend. I do not wish to cause any greater inconvenience to anyone than I must.

Since I check my wheelchair at the regular check-in counter at the suggestion of my airline, I think it only appropriate that they provide a wheelchair for me for the duration of my flying experience.

The issue of transporting your wheelchair once you arrive is also difficult. It is hard to find out what type of car you may be renting, and asking the rental agent to insure that your car will accommodate a wheelchair is not usually effective for me.

I almost always try to rent something locally when at all possible to reduce the need to transport the wheelchair. In some locations this works better than others. If I am going to be essentially in the same area, Disney World, downtown Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans etc. this works well. If I am going to be on an obscure island in the San Juan straights it does not work so well.

It takes some advanced planning and creative thinking to be able to address your lack of mobility when you travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.