Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deaf FTers?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 11:41 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Resurrecting slightly old thread. But then it's a quiet forum, so hopefully no one minds.

Just thought I'd say I got an A on my final in ASL 102 class. Hope I get an A overall but my grade will suffer - blasted IT work had me miss more class sessions than I should have. Understanding instructors are great, though!

In July, I'll be heading up to YEG for a little over a week. Part of that time will be spent participating in an ASL Immersion program on the U of Alberta campus. Should be fun!

Might also go in late June with an interpreter-in-training friend to the DBC (Deaf-Bilingual Coalition) convention in Milwaukee. Anyone here going to that?
Old May 8, 2008, 6:09 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Resurrecting slightly old thread. But then it's a quiet forum, so hopefully no one minds.

Just thought I'd say I got an A on my final in ASL 102 class. Hope I get an A overall but my grade will suffer - blasted IT work had me miss more class sessions than I should have. Understanding instructors are great, though!

In July, I'll be heading up to YEG for a little over a week. Part of that time will be spent participating in an ASL Immersion program on the U of Alberta campus. Should be fun!

Might also go in late June with an interpreter-in-training friend to the DBC (Deaf-Bilingual Coalition) convention in Milwaukee. Anyone here going to that?
I won't be there or anything, but I wish you much success with your ASL studies.
Old May 30, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I need a little advice. I have a friend who is deaf. She wants to go to Istanbul by herself. She flies alone and does not seem to have any difficulty. Because I travel there often she has asked my opinion. I have given is much thought, but because I can hear I cannot identify with what barriers she might experience.

At first I thought that since we did not speak Turkish and managed that it would not be a huge problem if she could not hear at all because she does not speak Turkish either. Then I became concerned about what she would do in an emergency. I thought perhaps she could prepare a phrase book in advance using a person with Turkish language skills. She could then just find what she needs to ask and let someone read it. My experience is that most Turkish people take you by the hand and lead you to whatever it is you want, or they give you a seat and go get it themselves. I do not think she would need to "hear" a response to communicate.

Am I over-simplfying this situation? What difficulties would any of you anticipate she might experience?
Old May 30, 2008, 5:23 pm

If she is an experienced traveler then I think she will be all right. I've never been to Istanbul so I'm not sure what it would be like there.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: aa
My wife and I are both ASL interpreters here in Kansas City, but we also do a large amount of international travel for work. We have found that Deaf people can communicate their needs just fine to people in foreign countries, but the people that we see are the Deaf that are fully integrated into both the deaf and hearing culture.

We also have a deaf blind friend that gives speeches for the helen keller institute and flies often to her engagements. I always tease her and tell her I am going to put her on the wrong plane on purpose and have her end up in the middle of Africa!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Late to the thread!

Bilateral otosclerotic here; severe HL on the L side, formerly moderate/severe on the R side, largely corrected by stapedectomy in '96.

Planning another stapedectomy this fall to address the L side.

Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:28 pm

Cool thread. This is what makes FT great.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:50 pm

Reaaaaally old thread, but I am a brand new member (first post!) and was thrilled to see a Deaf connection here. My husband is deaf and I am an interpreter in Seattle.
Happy to see you all on here!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mollsworth
Reaaaaally old thread, but I am a brand new member (first post!) and was thrilled to see a Deaf connection here. My husband is deaf and I am an interpreter in Seattle.
Happy to see you all on here!
I'm happy to welcome you as well. ^
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:51 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, mollsworth!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA gold
Hmm, another late one to the party *waves*

Deaf, implant in one ear, and HA in the other. Fly mostly on British Airways.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Stez
Hmm, another late one to the party *waves*

Deaf, implant in one ear, and HA in the other. Fly mostly on British Airways.
Welcome!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:18 am

I am deaf in my right ear, so I suppose I half count!
I am just starting out a course on ASL, I think it may be helpful to me in some situations. Of course unlike H.S Spanish, ASL will take YEARS to master!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by wmweeza
I am deaf in my right ear, so I suppose I half count!
I am just starting out a course on ASL, I think it may be helpful to me in some situations. Of course unlike H.S Spanish, ASL will take YEARS to master!
You can sign ASL using one hand then.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
You can sign ASL using one hand then.
Thanks for the laugh! I originally started learning some basic signs because my stepson is severely autistic and he was taught signs ( what great parents to do this!) but I was confused what he was asking me,so I started googling sign language and found he was asking where his dad was (he was at work) and was asking for candy.
Then I got to thinking, eventually I will lose more of my hearing to age, being half deaf now I don't want it to leave me with minimal communications options. I decided to start at least learning the basics.

For now, I can tell you where to get candy...lol. Otherwise I am ASL illiterate, but learning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.