FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deaf FTers?
Thread: Deaf FTers?
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2008, 3:24 pm
flyingfran

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I need a little advice. I have a friend who is deaf. She wants to go to Istanbul by herself. She flies alone and does not seem to have any difficulty. Because I travel there often she has asked my opinion. I have given is much thought, but because I can hear I cannot identify with what barriers she might experience.

At first I thought that since we did not speak Turkish and managed that it would not be a huge problem if she could not hear at all because she does not speak Turkish either. Then I became concerned about what she would do in an emergency. I thought perhaps she could prepare a phrase book in advance using a person with Turkish language skills. She could then just find what she needs to ask and let someone read it. My experience is that most Turkish people take you by the hand and lead you to whatever it is you want, or they give you a seat and go get it themselves. I do not think she would need to "hear" a response to communicate.

Am I over-simplfying this situation? What difficulties would any of you anticipate she might experience?