Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for disabled/elderly transport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for disabled/elderly transport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by mrspilot
jonesing, With all the medical care your wife has undergone, she has likely been in the hospital at least once. Hospitals have Social Workers that coordinate special care medical travel arrangements just like the one you're describing. Ask your doctor to help you connect with one of the hospital Social Workers to assist with the coordination of Mrs. Jonesing's travel arrangements and medical care needs. You are absolutely correct that she has special needs that require advance planning. Most hospital Social Workers routinely work with airlines to facilitate medical patient transfers. In your case, the oxygen requirement seems to be a major concern. Again, the Social Worker will assess all Mrs. Jonesing's medical care issues and coordinate the best plan of action with the airlines. Finally, some airlines require a letter of medical fitness from your doctor in order to be permitted boarding, especially where continuous oxygen administration is concerned. Obviously, you want to travel cost-effectively with a plan for safety given her medical needs and oxygen management. A Social Worker would also be able to assist with recommendations of medical vendors for wheelchairs, medical equipment and/or oxygen provisions during the flight. I can't say enough how much value a Social Worker would provide to coordinate your wife's safe transfer.

Safe, Medically-Sound and Cost-Effective in the Fog,

mrspilot
mrspilot,

I agree about the social worker. My dad is in a nursing home, and the social worker there has been very helpful. I typed up my plan for transporting my dad and FAXed it to her to get her approval and advice.

The whole staff there has been very helpful, so I sent them 3 pounds of Godiva chocolate. Not sure if it should be considered bribery (to continue taking good care of him) or appreciation.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Hope this is not too off topic. However for handicapped people who love the beach, the Intercontinental Hotel in Isla Verde, PR, has a wheelchair that goes out on the sand and into the water. While we didn't use it, it was quite a nice offer and something I didn't even know existed.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:21 pm

Programs: AOPA, 1TE4
Godiva Works!

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
mrspilot,

I agree about the social worker. My dad is in a nursing home, and the social worker there has been very helpful. I typed up my plan for transporting my dad and FAXed it to her to get her approval and advice.

The whole staff there has been very helpful, so I sent them 3 pounds of Godiva chocolate. Not sure if it should be considered bribery (to continue taking good care of him) or appreciation.
MsEverywhere, I'm so pleased to hear the NH staff have been so helpful to you and your Dad. Godiva works as does any other gesture of appreciation. The size or expense of the appreciation gesture does not matter because they all have the same effect: staff feel gratified they made a difference in someone's life. Like so many other professions, most staff want to work at 150% throttle trying to exceed patient/family expectations but it's more typical to hear feedback the one time they don't hit a homerun. Therefore, when a patient or family reciprocates the kindness by doing something unexpected and not required for staff, like you did, it's always a pleasant surprise...and very much appreciated.

People Helping People at Work in the Fog,

mrspilot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.