Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Travel as companion to person with Alzheimer's/ dementia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel as companion to person with Alzheimer's/ dementia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Jim died of covid pneumonia February 11th after a long period of early-onset Alzheimers.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by KatW
Jim died of covid pneumonia February 11th after a long period of early-onset Alzheimers.
Oh, Kat, I'm so so sorry. I'm sorry that you lost him some years ago to this horrid disease and I'm sorry that you lost him again last week.
KatW and ysolde like this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:31 pm

KatW , I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for letting us know, and thank you for sharing your invaluable insights and experience with the community.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please accept my condolences. Widowhood is a strange experience. Wishing you comfort and peace as you grieve.
KatW likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am so very sorry to read this, Kat. All my love to you.
KatW likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:03 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Please accept my condolences. Widowhood is a strange experience. Wishing you comfort and peace as you grieve.
We were together 49 years. Met at an anti-war demonstration in New Orleans. I went to bed one night married, woke the morning a widow.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 4:12 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss.
KatW likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:34 pm

I’m new here, having found this thread via Google while gathering info for travel with my severely disabled husband. (His TBI is akin to dementia.) You are an amazing group. It moved me to find a recent update with such sorrowful news. I wish you strength and peace as you move forward, KatW, as well as to the rest of you on this caregiving journey.
SanDiego1K, QT31415 and ysolde like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
This is a beautiful, heartwarming and heartbreaking thread. JDiver and KatW, as a memory-care physician I can 100% say that you both could write a textbook on whole person, nonpharmaceutical approaches to dementia. The gift you gave your spouses is priceless.
SanDiego1K and ysolde like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Before the pandemic, I flew on a 90 minute flight seated next to an elderly couple. The husband said his wife had severe Alzheimer's Disease. She was quiet about half of the time and repeated the same phrase over and over the other half. It was either in a normal tone 25% of the time and loudly but not shouting 25% of the time. She had a hard time walking. She had to be carried to get out of the seat and used a walker in the terminal, walking at extremely slow speeds with the husband also holding the walker, presumably so she wouldn't fall backwards. She was not obese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.