Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Travel after DVT treatment ends

Old Sep 15, 22, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Hello. First time poster here. I have scoured the internet looking for info about travel for people who had DVT, treated thier DVT then stopped anticoagulation but find nothing. I know this is no substitute for Dr.'s guidance, but I am very curious to know others' experiences. My DVT was caused by surgery but post DVT treatment, I tested positive for factor 2 mutation. I travel a fair amount for work and find myself stopping every 45 minutes to walk around or if traveling by plane, I get up every 30-45 minutes to move. I disrupt everything and am actually a bit self conscious about it. When seated, I am constantly tapping my feet or trying to move. It iis all quite exausting, but I will do what I need to do to avoid another clot and stay off anticoagulation. Anyne in a similar sitiuation have travel "best practices" they follow? I passed on a free trip to Hawaii earlier this year because the thought of the stress associated with the flights was too much for me. FYI, I am an otherise healthy and active 52 year old.
Old Sep 16, 22, 10:41 am

Programs: Alaska 100K
First of all, you've spoken to your hematologist regarding medications (both to avoid and to take). You've probably also investigated compression stockings (I dislike the medical ones, but find that the Sockwell brand is quite tolerable). Just a thought - after a recent back surgery, I was given these portable battery operated lower extremity compressors - they squeeze your calves just like the ones in the hospital - are those an option? They roll up fairly small, and while they may garner questions I think everyone would understand the necessity. I personally recommend the bulkhead seat in F also lol.
Old Sep 16, 22, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I met with a hematologist. He actually told me I did not need to wear compression socks ever. He also did not advise me against any medications to take or avoid. I have been off eliquis now for about 16 months. The main guidance he provided was to make stops every hour when traveling. (oh and becuase of the factor 2 muitation, he wants me to talk to him before any major procedures I may have in the future). When flying, I always now get an aisle seat and make sure I get the seats with the most legroom when possible. Forutnately, I am only 5'9", so my leg requirement is not great :-)

Search this Thread