Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using cpap on-board flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
I chatted-up a flight attendant last week when flying JetBlue Mint between JFK-LAXabout CPAP usage on board. I'd looked it up before but it sounded like they just didn't let anyone use it. He got out his Flight Attendant manual (iPad) and gave me the rundown.

CPAP: must be battery operated, 150% of trip length, extra battery stowed properly, CPAP must be in overhead bin for take-off, must have either a window seat or a single pod, unplugged for take-off and landing.

No mention in the Flight Attendant Handbook about approved Brand Names nor specific labeling of FAA approval required for usage.

Must have doctor’s note on letter head dated within a year indicating prescription for usage.

Last edited by backdoc; Jun 4, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
CPAP on JAL

Called JAL Priority Guest Center phone number in Japan (0120-747-707; for passengers requiring special assistance) regarding a flight I have tomorrow from Japan to the US on a 787. Call center spoke only Japanese, but offered to give me the English reservation desk phone number in Tokyo. I declined and successfully made my request to bring my CPAP (ResMed AirSense 10) onboard in my mediocre Japanese; I was put on hold for two minutes and the request was approved. This is the SkySuite 787 with seat power throughout; in-seat power is apparently a requirement for CPAP operation on JAL. I was asked to present the CPAP to the JAL check-in staff before departure.

Was kind of expecting this sort of short notice request to be denied, but JAL was very cool about it. Note that I am flying in J (and have lolCrystal status), so they may have been more accommodating for this reason.

BTW: "CPAP" is pronounced "see-papu" in Japanese. Or at least the JAL staff member understood what I was requesting

More info in somewhat okay English:

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalpri/illness/sleep.html
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:01 pm

Keep in mind cruising cabin pressure is 20% less than sea level

You may have to reduce your pressure setting by 20% if you use it on a plane. Average cabin pressure is same as 6-8000' of elevation. If you don't reduce your pressure, as I found out the hard way, it could feel like you can't exhale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.