FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using cpap on-board flight
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:38 pm
keihin_242

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
CPAP on JAL

Called JAL Priority Guest Center phone number in Japan (0120-747-707; for passengers requiring special assistance) regarding a flight I have tomorrow from Japan to the US on a 787. Call center spoke only Japanese, but offered to give me the English reservation desk phone number in Tokyo. I declined and successfully made my request to bring my CPAP (ResMed AirSense 10) onboard in my mediocre Japanese; I was put on hold for two minutes and the request was approved. This is the SkySuite 787 with seat power throughout; in-seat power is apparently a requirement for CPAP operation on JAL. I was asked to present the CPAP to the JAL check-in staff before departure.

Was kind of expecting this sort of short notice request to be denied, but JAL was very cool about it. Note that I am flying in J (and have lolCrystal status), so they may have been more accommodating for this reason.

BTW: "CPAP" is pronounced "see-papu" in Japanese. Or at least the JAL staff member understood what I was requesting

More info in somewhat okay English:

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalpri/illness/sleep.html