Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using cpap on-board flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
Flying out on Eva Air this week, their website appears to require battery pak for cpap, even though biz class has power source to plug computer [and my ResMed]. Anyone with experience on their EWR to Taipei flights?
Answering my own question: no problems using their power source. Flight attendants didn't bat an eye. Slept well with my S8.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:37 pm

Thanks for the followup.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:39 am

Flying out on Eva Air this week, their website appears to require battery pak for cpap, even though biz class has power source to plug computer [and my ResMed]. Anyone with experience on their EWR to Taipei flights?

Apologies for duplicate post...hoping for a good night's sleep during my flight
Hi, I am flying Eva Elite (CDG-TPE-CGK-TPE-CDG) next january but can't find any information about inflight CPAP-usage on their website! May I ask were on the website you found it?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThierryD
Hi, I am flying Eva Elite (CDG-TPE-CGK-TPE-CDG) next january but can't find any information about inflight CPAP-usage on their website! May I ask were on the website you found it?
http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/engli...nic_Equipment/

But if you're in elite class, they supply power source on all their 777 planes and as I posted below, encountered no problems powering up my S8 and getting sound sleep.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Air New Zealand PE LAX-LHR, 1st time using CPAP during flight!

I usually fly Virgin Atlantic from LAX-LHR in UC but they don't let you use CPAP during the flight. So I get a really comfortable lay flat bed but can't sleep because of snoring/apnea.

I leave in two weeks to LHR and I found a great fare in PE on Air New Zealand (still get Virgin Atlantic miles) and I know that they allow the use of CPAP http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/speci...equipment#cpap so I'm excited to try both Air New Zealand AND get some sleep using my CPAP on board.

Has anyone else used CPAP on an Air New Zealand flight?

Thanks,

Steve
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:29 pm

Virgin Atlantic now allows CPAP to be used during flight, must be pre-approved.

I just got this email re: CPAP usage during flights from Special Services:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your email regarding the use of personal medical equipment on-board.

Virgin Atlantic Airways can only permit the use of battery powered medical equipment on-board, any equipment that you wish to use must be cleared for use in-flight by our engineering team. In order for the team to evaluate the equipment and issue a clearance we will require the following details:

 Make/Manufacturer of the unit
 Model Number
 Serial Number
 For Respiratory Assistance Devices (RAD's) such as Oxygen concentrators and Nebulisers etc we also require the "Watt-Hour" rating of any spare batteries that are being carried. These details can be obtained from the manufacturer.

The following is a list of CPAP machines cleared for previous passengers. If you intend to use one of these we know it will be safe to use on-board. However we will still need to know the make, model and serial number so we can advise the crew it has been pre-cleared.

AEIOMED AURA
AEIOMED EVEREST 2
EVEREST 3
Breas Isleep
BreatheX Journey, EVEREST -integrated
BreatheX Machine,
DeVilbiss Healthcare Intellipap DV54D
Devilbiss/Sunrise Medical 7340 Vacu-Aide 7340a
Kaerys KXS
Odstock
Puritan Bennett Goodnight 420
ResMed Auto Set Spirit S7
ResMed Auto Set Spirit S8
ResMed Escape S8 11
ResMed Sullivan
ResMed VPAP IV
ResMed Elite II
Respironics Remstar Auto M Series
Respironics Remstar Basic M Series
Respironics Remstar C-Flex
Respironics Remstar LX
Respironics Remstar Plus Domestic
Respironics Remstar Plus International
Respironics Remstar Plus LX
Respironics Remstar Plus M Series
Respironics Remstar Pro M Series
Sunrise Medical/Devilbiss Vacu-Aide 7340a
VIASYS BreatheX Journey

I hope the above information has been of use.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting us again.

Kind regards

Lynda Morris
Special Assistance
Tel 0844 412 4455 ext 33656

Originally Posted by backdoc
I usually fly Virgin Atlantic from LAX-LHR in UC but they don't let you use CPAP during the flight. So I get a really comfortable lay flat bed but can't sleep because of snoring/apnea.

I leave in two weeks to LHR and I found a great fare in PE on Air New Zealand (still get Virgin Atlantic miles) and I know that they allow the use of CPAP http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/speci...equipment#cpap so I'm excited to try both Air New Zealand AND get some sleep using my CPAP on board.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:45 am

Thumbs up Update: Air New Zealand was VERY accommodating.

It was my first trip on Air New Zealand and the 1st time using my CPAP on an aircraft.

I did LAX-LHR RT in PE and got home last night. The check-in at LAX was great; they asked if I had my machine and batteries and I said yes, and that was it.

I was a bit self-conscious getting ready to sleep but I slept a good 6 hours with the machine. The PE seats are OK but I can't wait to use be able to use my machine in UC in Dec. for LAX-LHR-JNB RT in UC. It makes a huge difference in my body to arrive refreshed AND not worrying if I'm keeping others awake with my snoring.

Steve

Originally Posted by backdoc

Thanks,

Steve
Old May 2, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Any recent experiences with AA? I'm flying DFW-LAX on 777 and using PR S1 Bipap.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Does anyone have any recent experiences using a non ResMed CPAP device on board a UA flight? I have a long-haul flight coming up and have a battery shell for my Z1 cpap. The disability desk said only ResMed devices are allowed. What should I do? Just use it and not mention it at all?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Does anyone have any recent experiences using a non ResMed CPAP device on board a UA flight? I have a long-haul flight coming up and have a battery shell for my Z1 cpap. The disability desk said only ResMed devices are allowed. What should I do? Just use it and not mention it at all?
I have a Respironics BiPap S/T Series C, which looks exactly like the System One CPAP. I just tell them it's a System One CPAP. It makes things easier. Nothing is ever physically inspected or checked. I last flew UA longhaul in October. All FAs on my flights are clueless about them and want to know what they need to do to help. I always tell them the only thing I need is water because I can't use the humidifier and it is dehydrating to use one on a plane. They then give me my own liter bottle of water. ^

LH, however was very interested in the battery I was using on board and photographed it and emailed it to the Medical Desk when I checked in for my flight this month. They approved it.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I have a Respironics BiPap S/T Series C, which looks exactly like the System One CPAP. I just tell them it's a System One CPAP. It makes things easier. Nothing is ever physically inspected or checked. I last flew UA longhaul in October. All FAs on my flights are clueless about them and want to know what they need to do to help. I always tell them the only thing I need is water because I can't use the humidifier and it is dehydrating to use one on a plane. They then give me my own liter bottle of water. ^

LH, however was very interested in the battery I was using on board and photographed it and emailed it to the Medical Desk when I checked in for my flight this month. They approved it.
Thank you so much Pat. I shall just carry the necessary letters from the doctor and the manufacturer and keep my mouth shut and if asked just tell them its ResMed's new device.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:49 pm

This is the sticker, no?

Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sabooo
This is the sticker, no?

That is the information for your machine. Did you have a question about it?

On a separate note this free agent style of flying is getting me an education as to how airlines handle use of a CPAP and similar on board. The new airline this month is British Air. Their website clearly allows use:

You don't need medical clearance to travel with or use a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea.
You can use an adaptor to plug your machine into your in-seat power supply where available. However, we recommend using a dry cell battery in case the power point near your seat is not working.
The maximum output of our in-seat power supply is 75 Watt. If your machine needs a stronger output the power supply will automatically switch off.
If you need to use your CPAP machine on board you can take it with you as an additional item to your hand baggage allowance. However if you don't need to use it on board, it counts towards your hand baggage allowance. Alternatively, you can check it in at no additional charge. Just contact PMCU to authorise this as an additional 'checked baggage' item.
I was surprised about the ability to use in seat power.

I did check with PMCU via email and was told that I had to get medical clearance and have my doctor fill out a form they attached. I wrote back and provided a link to their own website. A day later I received an apology email that I do not need my doctor to complete the form, and that they have noted my record.

Honestly, if your job is the passenger medical clearance unit, shouldn't you know your own rules? How many other people did they put through this ridiculous extra step?

Last edited by Pat89339; Mar 14, 2016 at 12:58 am
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Korean Airlines

Just flew RT JFK/Incheon in prestige class. Out of JFK, A380 and no problem with cpap. Flying back on 747 prestige class, FA woke me up and said could not use on-board power, only battery pack. I rolled over and ignored her; fortunately she let it slide.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:25 pm

Wow

Very fortunate, who knows what power hungry FA would do if you were in coach.

Just flew RT JFK/Incheon in prestige class. Out of JFK, A380 and no problem with cpap. Flying back on 747 prestige class, FA woke me up and said could not use on-board power, only battery pack. I rolled over and ignored her; fortunately she let it slide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.