Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Toaster Oven" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Consolidated "Toaster Oven" thread

Since moving, we've started using our toaster oven. I've used it to reheat pizza, and it makes a huge difference in how it tastes!

I'm using it now to reheat pasta--not sure how that'll turn out, but I figured I'd experiment.

How do you use a toaster oven? Can I actually cook with it?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have a de longe toaster oven in the garage(attached to house).

in summer, to avoid increased ac bills, my wife cook everything from meatloafs to pizza in it. it is pretty big for a toaster oven, but runs on a 110/15a circuit.
has an accurate temperature adjust, and a timer.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Ours has similar features, and I'll have to try meatloaf.

The pasta was better from the toaster oven than it would've been from the microwave.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If it's not one of those $10 special ones, you can do a great job with it. We had one that was our main oven for anything that fit into it until we replaced our stove (we got a dual oven stove where the second oven is the size of a large toaster oven, love it).

If the oven heats with top and bottom elements you may need to cover food to keep it from burning on top, but it heats up faster then a real oven, doesn't heat up the entire room, etc.

But the higher end ones that are well insulated do a great job as a small oven.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:49 am
Original Poster

It's an older toaster oven, but it's working well. I wasn't sure if you could cook in it like a normal oven, but I guess we can!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I don't broil very often (I usually use the outdoor grill instead), but when I do, I usually use the toaster oven. I have an electric stove, and the broiler just doesn't get hot enough. But the toaster oven, in toast dark setting, does the trick.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by kipper
It's an older toaster oven, but it's working well. I wasn't sure if you could cook in it like a normal oven, but I guess we can!
Definitely - we use our for smaller stuff. In the summer it beats heating up the whole house with the main oven, and I'm sure we're saving electricity too. ^
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I have a good toaster oven and I tend to use it more than the real one. I feel that one can actually save quite a bit in the long run (less electricity consumption) by buying a better toaster oven.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:30 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
kipper, I use our toaster oven for more than toasting. The Mrs. and GoFaresBoy got me a bigger toaster oven for my birthday last year, a Black and Decker, to replace one that was smaller and well used. It came with a baking tray that works slick, especially when you cover it with foil.

I reheat pizza in it (direct on the toasting rack) so I can get the cheese melted nice and crisp the crust. To me it often tastes better reheated this way than the original bake... and it improves the delivered/take out pizza this way.

I've also baked frozen biscuits in it. With just the 3 of us, it's a waste of the big oven for 6 biscuits for breakfast. I've also done chicken nuggets, fish sticks and frozen fries, with good success.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
Definitely - we use our for smaller stuff. In the summer it beats heating up the whole house with the main oven, and I'm sure we're saving electricity too. ^
I didn't think about that!
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I have a good toaster oven and I tend to use it more than the real one. I feel that one can actually save quite a bit in the long run (less electricity consumption) by buying a better toaster oven.
So this might be environmentally friendly?
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
kipper, I use our toaster oven for more than toasting. The Mrs. and GoFaresBoy got me a bigger toaster oven for my birthday last year, a Black and Decker, to replace one that was smaller and well used. It came with a baking tray that works slick, especially when you cover it with foil.

I reheat pizza in it (direct on the toasting rack) so I can get the cheese melted nice and crisp the crust. To me it often tastes better reheated this way than the original bake... and it improves the delivered/take out pizza this way.

I've also baked frozen biscuits in it. With just the 3 of us, it's a waste of the big oven for 6 biscuits for breakfast. I've also done chicken nuggets, fish sticks and frozen fries, with good success.
I'm amazed at what I apparently can cook in the toaster oven! I think I'm going to have to experiment with it quite a bit!
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I'm actually without a toaster oven right now and realizing how much I miss it. I just can't justify preheating the whole big oven just to bake a couple chicken nuggets or reheat a slice of pizza.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:09 pm
KTW

I am not a "nuked" food fan at all. I can make all kinds of tasty delights in my TO. It is a simple 12" something or other model I got at WM for about $75.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KTW
I am not a "nuked" food fan at all. I can make all kinds of tasty delights in my TO. It is a simple 12" something or other model I got at WM for about $75.
I'm realizing the joys of a toaster oven. An example is with reheating pasta--I tried it in the toaster oven at home, and the cheese was ooey-gooey, and melted nicely. I tried it in the microwave at work, and it wasn't nearly as tasty.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Back in the 80's I lived in Seoul. Our apt had the traditional 2 burner stove and time fish-oven (about the size of a mail slot). We used a toaster over to do any baking. Hours. Literally HOURS to make cookies for my kiddos. I finally started using my electric skillet and crock pot to bake in.

Ah, to be young and adventurous again!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Toaster ovens rock. I rarely use the larger oven. As noted it saves on summer a/c costs. For toast I use it indoors but for fish, pizza etc I move it to the lanai or patio to keep the odors, smoke etc outdoors.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.